Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running the Haltech Elite 2500 as a full standalone? I have a 2003 manual NA-T and i am looking to go full standalone. I currently have a the Haltech Sprint 500 piggybacked in but i am having issues with the stock ECU and want to eliminate it. I have been in contact with my tuner and he prefers Haltech for tuning the 2JZ so this is why i am staying with them. I was looking into the Link kit from Xcessive manufacturing for ease of installation but it is no longer for sale on there site and i can't get them to respond to any of my request on the status of offering it.
i am in need of suggestions on the best way to wire the 2500 ECU into the car as a standalone. Haltech offers a parallel adapter harness for piggybacking with the stock ECU and i have an email in with them to see if i can modify this for what i am looking for. They also sell a full universal wiring harness that would work for sure but would be more involved. i do have all the connectors and pins for the entire GE harness if i go this route. this would allow me to remove the stock harness and pin new connectors on the universal harness.
other info i am looking for, was there any features lost with using the 2500 as a full standalone? My tuner indicated gauge functions might be an issue and i have heard A/C is an issue as well. For gauges, i can go with the Haltech IC7 Dash to eliminate this and i don't care much about A/C as it is not a daily.
thanks and any input would be helpful

·
Registered
668 Posts
You can make any ecu work in the situation, it just depends on bad you want to customize the wiring. I’ve seen that most of the Plug n Play kits are very basic and leave a lot on the table, except the Link/Panic. If you have the stock IS connectors and the intestinal fortitude, I would buy a flying lead and wire it myself. Save some money and make it how you want. The Haltech is very capable, and it will control the DBW throttle body. I think without the stock ecu, it will be a very race car-like experience, which may be what you’re looking for. Mine is a daily, so I have a dual ecu set up. It’s hot and humid here and would be miserable without AC, and I like the stock gauge set up. The haltech can be set up to control traction and I’m pretty sure it will do cruise control now, something my AEM Infinity can not.

·
Registered
341 Posts
What issues are you having with the stock ECU? Kris is correct, but with the Sprint 500, you should have been in the same boat already.

Reactions: Kris OK

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
571 Posts
Just find the stock 2JZ engine wiring and then just hook up the Haltech accordingly. It’s just coil packs, cam and crank sensor, fuel injectors, MAF sensor wiring, Coolant temp sensor, and IAT sensor. That’s it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.
I sent the stock ECU out to be tested and i was told it was fried and needed re-flashed. I figured now would be the time to dump it instead of putting money into fixing it. I have also wanted to upgrade from the sprint 500. The newer haltech units have more features and would be better suited than using the spring5000 for my goals. My tuner has also recommended i go this route. Car was last dynoed at 380hp and i am moving forward for more.

I was able to talk to Haltech and they do offer a terminated engine harness for the 2JZ. Plugs rite into the Haltech unit and has 8' leads with fuse box and all connectors attached. It is for the GTE engine so will need some minor mods but will drastically simplify the wiring. I would need to use the IC7 dash if i want to simplify and not have to wire the stock gauges in.
it would be a money saver to wire myself and i think i could could achieve it. During the COVID lockdown i had spent my time learning the wiring harness for this car. i actually ordered and have an extra harness so i could study it without taking the one out of my car. i have made my own schematics and diagrams for all the wiring and connectors. This came from me breaking connector and was having issues that i thought was from wiring but turned out was the ECU. my plan was to make a new harness for the car but plans have shifted a little. With the knowledge i got i think i could do it but i am looking for some simplicity that will expedite my process.

I don't mind "race car" like feel and is more of what i am looking for.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
571 Posts
Well get after it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts