Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
How exactly are you driving your car? Snow mode on all the time? Downhill... both ways? :lol:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Wow best info I got so far on .net

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm telling the truth.....I should reach 390 miles by the time the light comes on. I accelerate slowly and try to stay at a constant speed.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
I wouldn't get excited. Most (if not all) gas gauges are designed to fall more slowly from full to half than they will from half to empty. Basically, when the gauge reads 1/2, that doesn't mean half a tank of gas is left....

·
Registered
656 Posts
pope said:
You have two gas tanks? I only get 290 per tank. Your gauge is definatly f'in broken son!
If you were talking to me, no, my gauge is not broken. Maybe your IS is broken. ;) The IS does not get horrible mileage on the freeway. I am consistantly getting about 340 or more a tank when the roads aren't busy, mostly highway, but this tank, for example, I am at half a tank and about 140 miles, because I have been in more rush hour traffic than normal. Consumer Reports even shows that the cruising range of the IS is 410 or 420 miles, so it is possible. People drive in very different environments, temperatures, and with very, very different driving styles. Low tire pressure lowers mpg; windows down can cause drag at high speeds; there are many variables. Why are so many people in disbelief just because it hasn't happened to them?! It really depends on the type of traffic I'm in.

·
Registered
656 Posts
webmaster said:
I wouldn't get excited. Most (if not all) gas gauges are designed to fall more slowly from full to half than they will from half to empty. Basically, when the gauge reads 1/2, that doesn't mean half a tank of gas is left....
That's true. I base my mpg on when it's below a 1/4 tank, usually.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
less speculation and more proof

·
Registered
62 Posts
my friends gti he claims 30 mpg out of it, whe i drove it using the cruise set a 70 mph I got averege of 35, I do believ it is a lot to do with driver habits and tire compound / alignment. i run out 1/2 tank or so then fill it up, devide the gas used by the miles driven. My f150 is avergin 10 in the city and 22 on the freeway. My civic gets 20 in the city and 28 on the freeway. Let you know on the sporty next week after my trip to memphis... Constant speed is where it is at.

·
Registered
656 Posts
thiscrazypinoy said:
less speculation and more proof
More proof of what? I'll field the comment, though I don't know to whom it was directed. I agree that it's hard to tell that one has consumed exactly half a tank and has covered 200 miles, in regards to the first post on this thread, but if you are talking about hitting 400 miles on a tank, or whatever number, I can attest that I have done it. I don't need to prove it to anyone. I reset the trip meter every time I fill up, and I know what it read before I hit empty. I have no reason to lie about it, and it's not a complicated process. I did hit 400 miles on one tank back in July on a trip from Chicago to Michigan and back. Haven't done it since, but I consistently get over 20 miles to the gallon just driving in my area, usually around 22-23. Check Consumer Reports. The IS can go over 400 miles on a tank.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I just noticed "crazypinoy's" rep. Sorry I wasted my time responding. By the way, crazy, look at your sig; it's "literally," not "litterally."

·
Registered
656 Posts
It makes such a huge difference if you're driving in city traffic or on the highway in this car. I have seen that you can easily get over the 23 mpg highway the EPA states, which is shocking, but it also drops a lot in heavy traffic. Oh well. I knew that before I bought it. Still love my IS!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts