Lexus IS Forum banner

HAIL DAMAGE...am i effed or what?? UPDATED W/ PICS inside&gt

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Rattus 
#1 ·
We just had a huge hail storm unexpectedly that i woke up to hammering the Lexus, by the time i got her moved into the garage i had hail damage to the hood, passenger side, roof, trunk panel, and SHATTERED the rear window so needless to say i've been vacuming up glass for the last hour, my question is how in the world are they if they even can going to fix this thing, please let me know if anyone has ever ran into this problem before and is my car ruined???

Here she is when she was still looking good!

Now here she is after the damn HAIL storm.

I had to hurry up and find a place for my dirtbike since i have a 1 car garage so here's where it ended up(in the dining room).

See less See more
#2 ·
Your car is not ruined, just in need of some major work.
Call your ins co, start claim, and begin getting estimates from body-shops.
After you get estamate portion done, check how much can be repaired via PDR (Paintless Dent Removal). DentWizards is one of the nationwide networks. They may not be able to do much, but that's just something to look into.

#5 ·
Hey thanks for that link to the report, it was the craziest thing i've ever seen in my life seeing those big huge chunks of ice flying from the sky, it wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't busted out my rear window or the fact that i've only had this car about 2 months now, will this car ever be the same or will you always be able to notice it, i'll take some pics and post here in a few but right now i'm waiting on the insurance company, i want them to take this thing away because looking at it is making my stomach hurt, i sure hope everything works out and i get my car back the way i like it!!!!!

#6 ·
I good body shop will make it looking new again!
As I stated before, check out PDR.
Many of us have gone through one thing or another.

#7 ·
I just don't see how they can fix the roof of the car on the edges, one of my good friends works at the DENT DOCTOR aka.PDR here in Tulsa and he said bring it by, so hopefully i can save my car and make her sweet looking again, i know they can put a new hood, fenders, and trunk lid on it but the roof is what i'm worried about, anyone have any idea what one of those rear windows with the defrost in it is going to run, my guess is a whole lot, the pics i posted don't show the damage that well but i'm telling ya it's beat down pretty damn bad :pissed:

Not to mention my freakin dirtbike is in my dining room now!!

#9 ·
razdazbraz said:
I just don't see how they can fix the roof of the car on the edges, one of my good friends works at the DENT DOCTOR aka.PDR here in Tulsa and he said bring it by, so hopefully i can save my car and make her sweet looking again, i know they can put a new hood, fenders, and trunk lid on it but the roof is what i'm worried about, anyone have any idea what one of those rear windows with the defrost in it is going to run, my guess is a whole lot, the pics i posted don't show the damage that well but i'm telling ya it's beat down pretty damn bad :pissed:

Not to mention my freakin dirtbike is in my dining room now!!
My car was pummeled by hail once upon a time, as was my brother's. Both of them - you CAN'T tell! :D
(Don't ask me how they do it, but just get ahold of the insurance co!)

#13 ·
Went to the Insurance company today and they had the PDR people on site helping with estimates, so they estimate it and ask me who i want to do the work and i say a local well know PDR shop(aka Dent Doctor) so they cut me a check for the repairs minus my $500 deductable and i head straight over to Dent Doctor(friend works there) and he tells me they are crazy that he can't touch the hood, roof, or trunk lid that all those parts need to be replace because all of the dents have basicly stretched the metal out and it will be wavey looking and thats not going to cut it on a 2003 Lexus, so he sends me over to the body shop(best in Tulsa, Karrol Martin) with his estimate and has them give me an estimate on the rest, well they inspect the car very thoroughly and give me an estimate of $8382.09 and tell me that they will have the car looking brand new but it will take like 6 weeks, so i come home and call the insurance company and she is trying to tell me that if their PDR people say it can be fixed then it has to be done through PDR, and i say well i'm not using them i'm using Dent Doctor and they say that they cannot PDR the hood, trunk lid, or roof and thats who i'm using, and then i ask her is it her choice or MY CHOICE of who i use so she puts me on hold and comes back being real nice all of sudden and tells me ok when i take it to the Body Shop to have them call the insurance adjuster and they will go to the body shop and go over it with them. The insurance people are pissing me off so far and i really need to know what to do with them, thanks guys for your help.

#14 ·
^^^^
That's why I said to go to body shop first and get the estimate there, then check with PDR to see if anything can be fixed w/o bodyshop.
Don't back up on the ins co! Have them pay in full minus deductible the body shop's estimate. Lexus is an expensive vehicle to fix!

#16 ·
Hey, sorry to hear about the damage... I went thought the very same thing. your car looks (from what i can see) just like my car, but mine had alot more damaged( but just like you said... it looks worse in person.)

I had roof damage, trunk, hood, all 4 doors and quarter panels, and plus my front apiller was dented in (chipped my paint right off..) my front window was cracked in 4 different places.. well lets say it looked like yours.

I went with this dude here in San Antonio, TX (dont know if you would come this far) but he has done AWESOME work. He replaced the roof, the hood, front winshield (cost over $700), and trunk and repaired the rest. I took it in like on a monday morning around 12, and the next day (about 1) I went to the shop and the dents were all done, but the roof and hood and trunk, they were waiting on parts.

they have a machine that has a point on it, that welds itself to the dent and pulls it out... then they smooth it out and fill in the remain.

he would of had it done within 2 weeks but I am getting extras :D . needless to say its still there.

8 grand, are they going to paint it for you too?

My shop is fixing all the dents, replacing the hood (about $500), roof (about $600), trunk w/ spoiler (about another $600) and painting for $7200. It includes labor too. Everything (whole new car) for $7200.

hope that helped.

p.s. no waves that i can tell of. I will tell you when I get it painted but I had one on a crease and perfectly straight. :wink:

#17 ·
dgsg said:
Sure glad I need only deal with earthquakes & fires. :eek:
Dan

well i gotta deal with CRAZY biatches that think there my girls, but should know there only my one (well maybe 2 or 3) night HOE!

a hail storm don't seem so bad :) at these times

good luck with your ins claims. hell i would try to sucker these bastids (ins) to get extras for my ride :D

#18 ·
Well the new sled wen to the PDR shop on monday the 24th to get what they could get done and then off to the body shop for the major repairs, i'm thinking they are going to have to replace the roof and truck but might be able to salvage the hood since i threw my popason chair cushion on the hood in the middle of the storm(should have threw it on the roof but wasnt thinking very good because i just woke up from a late night of well you know), the sides got very minute damage because my big ol van was setting next to it and took most of the hit in which it didnt get one dent except for on the roof which you cant see anyways, well we'll see how well these PDR guys do and i'll update you guys again when i get her back, thanks for all of your help again.

#19 ·
Kyung504 said:
Hey, sorry to hear about the damage... I went thought the very same thing. your car looks (from what i can see) just like my car, but mine had alot more damaged( but just like you said... it looks worse in person.)

I had roof damage, trunk, hood, all 4 doors and quarter panels, and plus my front apiller was dented in (chipped my paint right off..) my front window was cracked in 4 different places.. well lets say it looked like yours.

I went with this dude here in San Antonio, TX (dont know if you would come this far) but he has done AWESOME work. He replaced the roof, the hood, front winshield (cost over $700), and trunk and repaired the rest. I took it in like on a monday morning around 12, and the next day (about 1) I went to the shop and the dents were all done, but the roof and hood and trunk, they were waiting on parts.

they have a machine that has a point on it, that welds itself to the dent and pulls it out... then they smooth it out and fill in the remain.

he would of had it done within 2 weeks but I am getting extras :D . needless to say its still there.

8 grand, are they going to paint it for you too?

My shop is fixing all the dents, replacing the hood (about $500), roof (about $600), trunk w/ spoiler (about another $600) and painting for $7200. It includes labor too. Everything (whole new car) for $7200.

hope that helped.

p.s. no waves that i can tell of. I will tell you when I get it painted but I had one on a crease and perfectly straight. :wink:
ive still got hail damage! and getting money from nationwide was like pulling teeth....i got in a huge argument with the MF cuz he was making comments oh well we can DENT wizard most of these out. I was like man this is a lexus...$%&(&%^...in the end i got my $4800 but with my $1k deductible!! :pissed:

#20 ·
razdazbraz said:
Well the new sled wen to the PDR shop on monday the 24th to get what they could get done and then off to the body shop for the major repairs, i'm thinking they are going to have to replace the roof and truck but might be able to salvage the hood since i threw my popason chair cushion on the hood in the middle of the storm(should have threw it on the roof but wasnt thinking very good because i just woke up from a late night of well you know), the sides got very minute damage because my big ol van was setting next to it and took most of the hit in which it didnt get one dent except for on the roof which you cant see anyways, well we'll see how well these PDR guys do and i'll update you guys again when i get her back, thanks for all of your help again.
Ouch man, I hope things get all worked out for you. That sucks, good thing for insurance coverage though! 8)

Just a comment, an aside really, don't take this in the wrong way please... but please use periods when writing. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.