Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding haggling with a dealer if I was to place an order prematurely with him/her for a 2002 IS300 automatic (silver with black full leather, moonroof, LSD and NAV and standard 17" wheels)? Afterall, it's kind of difficult to play the "haggle" game with a dealer when you express 100% certain interest in the car by placing an order ahead of time, no?

I definitely do not want to pay sticker price for it, so I'm wondering how much you think I might get below sticker price if I'm ordering ahead of time? My current car lease expires on Oct. 16 of this year, so I'm open to getting the IS300 sometime around late September/late October and figure I should place an order ahead of time in order to ensure I get exactly the car I want.

One of my friends suggested asking my auto insurance if they have a car buyer's service -- and told me to also check with my credit union re: car buying service. I wonder how the online car buying services are too

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated

[email protected]

·
Registered
231 Posts
the easy answer to this question is "it depends." unfortunately, the same laws of supply and demand will hold for the next model year just as they were for the first introduction of the car. this is primarily due to the fact that the 2002 IS is not the same as the 2001. the new options in the car next year means that people will hold off buying the 2001 and put themselves on "the list" for the newer one. even if the dealer has one less car than buyers, they can charge right up around sticker for them. however it's too early to really tell what the out-the-door prices will be. perhaps the auto cars will not be as desirable and you'll be able to get a good deal? anybody talked to dealers yet?

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
if you serious, i will have my guy contact you, he is in baltimore, but might be able to do a little something for you. i'll let you talk with him about it though. let me know

·
Registered
354 Posts
Almost always easier to "get a deal" on a car sitting on the dealer's lot - as opposed to "ordering" a car set up to your specifications. It's all "supply & demand." New 02 ISs will be in short supply at first...so, deals will be hard to come by. Bet you could get a real nice deal on an 01 right about now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IS300GTE:

Yes, I'm very serious about ordering an 2002 IS300 automatic/e-shift model -- silver with full leather (black) -- standard 17" wheels -- LSD, NAV, & moonroof.

I'm interested to get one in September or October 2001 (my Mercedes SLK 230 lease expires October 16th, 2001).

So sure, put me in touch with the Lexus guy you know in Maryland. Just curious how good a deal I might get....

You can email me directly at: [email protected]

·
11,062 Posts
OK, providing I don't have any connections and I do have preferences as to color and options...but I'm cheap...
Ask a couple of dealers to let me know when they receive a shipment as SOON as it comes it because I need to replace my car sometime before Winter (don't give date) and although I've been considering a new (insert Mercedes, Acura or whatever) I want to look at the 2002 IS300 before I decide for sure.

They WILL call if they want to sell something. I don't think there will be a problem getting all the goodies, since most dealers are going to order lots of options.
Color may be the biggest issue. However, you will probably find what you want if you get to the lot quickly. If you don't, you can always shop online and see if another dealer can ship it to you. In the meantime, you had the chance to "deal" for one on the lot. Hey, if you had to rent a car for a week in between, it would be worth it, eh?

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: SeattleSheila ]

·
Registered
675 Posts
Since less than 1/3rd of the IS production will be equipped with Navigation demand might outweigh supply at first. Vehicles shipped out of Long Beach will be full spec vehicles: Full leather, NAV, Moonroof, Heated Seats and LSD.

If you were to special order your vehicle it would be delivered well after your current lease expires.

The color combination you have chosen is very popular and Lexus will build 20% of the full spec cars in that combination. There is a good chance you could purchase a vehicle out of inventory within your time frame.

Good Luck

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
he will be contacting you with info today or tomorrow. let me know what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
IS300GTE
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing