Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing my usual drive down the 2 fwy towards montrose........when this guy....comes out of nowhere and flashes me.......so we took off....down the 2 going about 100-110 (not my usual thing)......my observations and etc.:

1. The bmw 330 has a nice pickup like the Is300 in the high range of MPH.

2. We kept up with each other for about 10 miles...both strong cars.

3. The BMW 330 does not handle the curves as well as the IS....or maybe it was the driver???.....cause around this turn thats goes from the 2 to the 210......his BMW sort of wobbled ........while I was able to pass him by doing 95-100.

4. I noticed that once out the turn the BMW had a nice stright line pickup.....but he could not catch me......i guess he did not want to go over 110.

5. The IS did not sway at all during the side to side movement I made to get through some cars....unlike his that seemed very rough....BOTH cars were brand new......no plates.

6. Overall it was a fun experience racing the IS.......We both exited later and had a little chat....his was a stick 330.

The HAndling is great on the IS.......on sunshine roads......sorry about you east coast people......

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Was it a sport package 330? Have the double spoke M wheels?

Originally posted by GOTTURBO:
I was doing my usual drive down the 2 fwy towards montrose........when this guy....comes out of nowhere and flashes me.......so we took off....down the 2 going about 100-110 (not my usual thing)......my observations and etc.:

1. The bmw 330 has a nice pickup like the Is300 in the high range of MPH.

2. We kept up with each other for about 10 miles...both strong cars.

3. The BMW 330 does not handle the curves as well as the IS....or maybe it was the driver???.....cause around this turn thats goes from the 2 to the 210......his BMW sort of wobbled ........while I was able to pass him by doing 95-100.

4. I noticed that once out the turn the BMW had a nice stright line pickup.....but he could not catch me......i guess he did not want to go over 110.

5. The IS did not sway at all during the side to side movement I made to get through some cars....unlike his that seemed very rough....BOTH cars were brand new......no plates.

6. Overall it was a fun experience racing the IS.......We both exited later and had a little chat....his was a stick 330.

The HAndling is great on the IS.......on sunshine roads......sorry about you east coast people......

·
Registered
541 Posts
Originally posted by GOTTURBO:

Wobbled? Do you mean it looked like he was about to fishtail? If so, you can bet he lost his nerve and let off on the gas...a big no-no in any RWD vehicle cornering near the limit. It's the driver, not the car.

I did an autocross today. There was a Lexus IS300 present. It was driven by an experienced autocrosser who had rented it (who rents these???). In the competition, his best time was a little over half a second better than mine. In the fun runs, I matched his earlier times. Remember, this is just my second autocross, and the first one where the results were official (I did the fun runs at an event a few weeks ago).

I asked two friends with some autocross experience to drive my 330i during the fun runs later today. Neither had ever driven a 330i before. In my 330i, they bested the IS300's times by at least 2 full seconds. The faster of my friends, a woman who has been autocrossing for about a year, drove my 330i fast enough to have gotten it a top-3 finish in my class if it had been official.

The moral of the story? A girl can drive a 330i faster than you guys can drive an IS300.

By the way, I did Buttonwillow Raceway with Tracquest on Saturday, the day before the autocross, and I had barely enough tread left to get through the autocross safely. And, once again, no Lexi at that track.

[This message has been edited by Young (edited December 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
62 Posts
The moral of the story? A girl can drive a 330i faster than you guys can drive an IS300.
Uh-oh, a call for all the insecure BMW owners to make excuses. It's no wonder why people hate BMW owners so much. Glad you beat 'em.

[This message has been edited by Aye-yes300 (edited December 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Hmm...did the people who drove your 330i also drive the IS?

·
Registered
541 Posts
DtEW:
Both of the cars are in G Stock.

JW:
No, we didn't trade rides with the Lexus guy. I tried to engage the fellow in a conversation, but he was standoffish. He fit more of the stereotype of the "BMW owner" than any of the BMW owners I've met at track and autocross events. Of course, he didn't actually "own" the Lexus.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Originally posted by Young:
DtEW:
Both of the cars are in G Stock.
Oops. I'm looking at the proposed 2001 classifications, and you're informing me about the current classifications in-effect. Look like in the coming year you're going to be bumped up to D-Stock to dice with the E30 M3, ITR, Celica GT-S, 180hp Audi TT, Neons, and Turbo Mitsus.

·
Registered
541 Posts
DtEW:
I heard the 2001 classifications may not take affect in 2001. There are some controversies surrounding them, but I don't know the details.

[This message has been edited by Young (edited December 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
the s4 is an awesome car. i dont' think it handles that well but in the wets it definitely does thanks to quattro. its' a bit harder to drive than an NA car due to its turbos but iwth a good driver it will keep up with if not spank the m3, again depending on where you're driving. i'm sure the s4's top end would eat an m3 because the m3's best times are in the sub100 area i think but i'm not positive. if you see one on the road don't bother racing it unless you want to see how fast it is

·
Registered
68 Posts
After all these “my IS300 is faster than 330i” comments, I was wondering about how come no one race the two in the autocross event? Am I missing something? Thanks Young for your comment. At least your experience has a solid ground. I am an IS300 owner and I can careless about if my IS300 is faster or slower than the 330i. However, I appreciate comments that are based on facts, not just BS or rumors. Anyone races the IS300 in the same class with A4, 330i, Prelude…etc, and have different comments?

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I tried to keep up with my friend's S4 on the highway, in my 325i manual, and got dusted, lost sight of him, til he had to slow down for traffic. I've driven S4s and they're a total blast, but who's got $40,000 to blow? Not me. I prefer the road feel of 3 series or IS300 as well, the S4 must be driven really fast to have fun, kind of boring to drive otherwise. A 3 series or IS300 is fun to drive even at low speeds.

Originally posted by prattkidd:
Both no match for an s4! Did anyone with an is300 ever race an s4? If so please post comments.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
you don't see them autox against each other cause is300 owners don't race, they just drive.
i'm justk idding but there is some truth to it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Maybe the guy who rented the IS 300 and claimed he was a good driver...actually sucked!

------------------
98 Accord EX V6 coupe
AEM Intake, Comptech Headers, Random Tech high-flow cat, GReddy dual MX exhaust, BLTI Carbon Fiber Ignition cables, eibach springs, Axis wheels with Nittos, Wings West Spoiler.
15.1 @ 92 mph
2001 Lexus IS300 (Solar Yellow)
Coming soon: 12 second timeslips with the IS (my new all out drag car!)

·
Registered
511 Posts
As I am sure Young would agree, the little differences in an IS and 330i are insignificant compared to the driver in an autox. It takes a while to get good at it.

I am sure switching cars would affect the times. However, an autox is a very limited picture of a car because gearing, the course, tires and weather can all affect your times.

By the way Young, you are running S02's correct? Huge advantage over the IS if it is on stock rubber. Are you going to Laguna with Tracquest? I have referred a couple of guys to them. One with a 355 and one with a 2001 M5. I think NASA is running Sears that weekend so I will be there.

Contemplating Euro M5 brakes, 345mm floating rotors. Would be nice not to worry about my brakes. Sound like you need a second set of wheels with some Toyos or Kuhmos.

------------------
S38
91 M5

·
Registered
541 Posts
S38,

At the track I think the differences between the IS300 and the 330i would be significant, but I'd agree with you that they're very close when it comes to autox.

Yep, I've been running on S02's, but my Kumho V700s and SSR Competition rims have just arrived (picked them up this afternoon). Nothing, except the lack of talent
, will stop me now!

And, yep, I'm doing Laguna Seca with TracQuest. If the NASA event is over the weekend (TracQuest is over two weekdays) maybe I could do both?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts