Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i'm riding on H&R springs 1.5 drop with Bilstein Shocks.... i forgot to cut my bump stops, so righ tthere the ride is rough... thats not my prob.... my prob is that the ride feels like complete shit, IT"S SO BOUNCY!!! is it cause i didnt cut the bump stops? or cause the shocks just suck??

a month or 2 ago i drove in my friend's IS300 with H&R springs and STOCK shocks.. the ride felt soooo smoothe, not bouncy at all, felt almost like stock, just a lil rigid.....

now i'm thinking of just putting my stock shocks in with the H&R springs since i have to disassemble my suspension to cut the bump stops.... does this sound reasonable?? i know they'll only last a few years like that, but for now i dont care, aslong as i can quickly fix the ride comfotrt...

or should i invest in some good adjustable shocks,and are the bilstein shocks the true cause of this "bouncy" problem?

thanks in advance for the advice...

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
You lost me at..."forgot to cut my bump stops". What bump stops are you refering to?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
The Bilsteins are really competitive aggressive Shocks for racing applicatons IMHO, hence the really rough ride. I've also heard from another member that he hated the Bilsteins when he was riding on the Tein Springs. I think thats the way their supposed to be... not sure.

I have the Koni and Tein Springs... really great ride... only time its bouncy at all is when i have it at a super soft setting....and i'm goin like 100mph on bumpy freeways.... lol...its funny but gawdamn it bounces like krazy.... its just me being stupid though.... i really recommend the Koni shocks.... I think they are just absolutely the best ones out there w/ Tokico Illumina's at a close 2nd...

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I agree with UpTownIS300er. The Koni's are the way to go. I have the H&R/Koni combo and LOVE the way they work together. No complaints from me!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright thanks for the advice guys....

when i said i forgot to cut the bump stops, i was talking about the strut bump stops..... with the H&R springs and the stock bump stops, the car is practically riding on them....

·
Registered
444 Posts
bilstein hd's aren't for lowering springs more than 1" which could be the problem. i have them with the eibach pro kit and the ride is way smoother than when i had eibachs/stock shocks. so, based on what you guys are saying, i'd say it depends on the springs too. it's not just the shocks.

·
Premium Member
14,416 Posts
I would also have to say, i have H&R and stock shocks, when ur stock shocks get warn YOU WILL KNO IT!

uptown and Hoss have some good input, hoss is getting rid of his Koni and uptown just got his koni....

Ill put my Koni's on in a few weeks also .

they are my best seller!!

David

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Dude if your gonna put stock shocks back on with H&R springs then goodluck. If i'm not correct the H&R shocks lower your car approx 2"

That sounds to me like the ultimate combination to blow your shocks. I ordered my Koni's from is300soon and it was really fast shipping. I say stick w/ your setup and order some Koni's.... someone will buy the Bilsteins from you in the forsale forum.... Bilsteins are known to be very competitive suspension upgrades so you shouldn't have no problem selling them.

btw If you get the Koni's.... make sure do a search to get some install tips... I recommend shaving the front 2 shocks to fit into the stock bushings. That way you preserve the stock bushings....plus these Koni's are made for IS300's anyways, so even w/ a modified Koni shock you should actually sell em better later on.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
you should not be using Bilstein HD's with lowering springs, unless its a mild drop. If you want to get Bilstein shocks with H&R, you need the Bilstein Sports. The Sports do not have a warranty like the HD's. HD's were designed for NON lowered cars to slightly improve handling. If you are going to lower with H&R scrap the HD's and put some Koni's on there. But if you seriously spend so much money, your better off getting a set of coilovers. I know coilovers are alot more expensive, but i learned from experience with my previous IS300, that shocks and springs just wont match up to coilovers. I had Tein HT's with Tokiko shocks, it handled a LITTLE bit better, but still not good enough. Also keep in mind, no aftermarket spring is designed for a specific aftermarket shock, or vice versa.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hi Guys, I m planning to buy his set of Bilstein Shocks, I got Lsportline springs...which for me is 1.45" drop rear and around .75 inch drop front, are they going to be good for me? I will call my Lexus dealer and find out...thanks and let me know guys.

Matt

·
Registered
444 Posts
frylai said:
Hi Guys, I m planning to buy his set of Bilstein Shocks, I got Lsportline springs...which for me is 1.45" drop rear and around .75 inch drop front, are they going to be good for me? I will call my Lexus dealer and find out...thanks and let me know guys.

Matt
hey matt,

i called bilstein before i bought mine. they said they should only be used for springs with up to a 1" drop. it works well with the pro-kit but if i were you i'd probably go with koni's or tokico's instead.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
frylai said:

Matt
In your case, DO NOT get the Bilsteins unless Bilstein has begun making the sports for our car. I am pretty sure, almost positive that they dont. Get Koni's.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Are they going to be better than stock? I meant is .45" for the rear really matters that much? I really want them, I will get them as long as they are better than stocks...let me know guys...HELP!!!

Matt 8)

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
hey matt,

i called bilstein before i bought mine. they said they should only be used for springs with up to a 1" drop. it works well with the pro-kit but if i were you i'd probably go with koni's or tokico's instead.
Bumped for nooblets to read. That means you, jsb8096.

Reactions: iSNin0

·
Registered
923 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.