Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every so often my car would start getting warm. It would mainly happen during long stops and when it's really warm so I've been keeping an eye on it.

I noticed during the week when the temp was real warm that at certain occassions I would hear like water behind the dash (the climate control and vents above it area).

Any ideas? The car runs good and strong but no idea what's going on. I changed and flushed the coolant and thermostat. BHG? Heater core? Water pump? The car has 60k on it so that's why I flushed the coolant.

thanks for anyones responses.

·
2,752 Posts
I have the same noise and also the "blow off valve" noise when the car shifts. Now, no one ever came up with a backed up reason! I hate it when I don't know where a noise comes from :( Anyone with an idea??

Cheers,

Don.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don-Corleone said:
I have the same noise and also the "blow off valve" noise when the car shifts..
I heard that noise today but thought it was a car around me. DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!

How long have you had the noise and do you worry about it? I know these motors are bullet proof but I use to own a MK3 and that 7MGTE gave me so much trouble that I finally had to dump it and the noise sounds all too familiar to a BHG.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
I've had mine forever, but can only hear it when my car is warming up in the morning with no music. Doesn't bother me. Your guy's case might be worse, I don't know.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can only hear when the music is off, too, but it just started when the weather got really warm (80+ degrees). Well, I guess if you guys have it as well it should be good. I'm going to check the head next weekend and see what happens.

·
2,752 Posts
The noise from the vent sounds like a radiator wiht water running through it. But could be the vent positioning or air system whatever works wit Ac. It can only be heard when car is started. i am in florida kind of hard tot ell you about different temperature as we get similar weather all the time. Now for the blow off valve from the tranny, it is only at higher rpms and seems to be a valve in the gear or tranny, Lexus will check that at next service but if they can't hear it Lexus will say it's all good. you know the drill I am sure!!!

Don.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Sounds like air in the cooling system that has been trapped in the heating core. If it is this, I had this when I changed my coolant at 30K. The air needs to be bled and there is no bleeder screw on the IS. I bled it by taking radiator cap off, switching the heater on to full blast, then turning engine on until the thermostat kicked in and cycled coolant through the whole system. Unless the heater is on it will not cycle through the core. Left engine on for a few minutes until the fan kicked on and shut engine off. Topped off with some more coolant to replace the escaped air.....No more gurgling.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yet another reason why I love this flippin' site!!! I'll print this off, CEB and Don-Corleone, and see what happens. Thanks again, guys!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Is this happening during hot days when you have your air conditioning on? If this is the case, it's normal as I've had the same problem. The dealership and I found out that apparently, the freon(sp) flowing through an actuator valve makes this hissing gurgling sound. After I had the dealership flush out the freon(sp) and topping it off with new freon, the hissing sound went away. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, it is only during hot days and I'm trying to remember if I had the a/c on but I can't recall. thanks!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel like the Predator is chilling behind my head unit!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts