Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
East Thuringia, Germany based Gumprt Sportwagenmanufaktur GmbH *mouthful, eh* is putting into production its Apollo super exotic.

"OVB online" is reporting that the serial production of the Gumpert Apollo has been started. The Gumpert Apollo comes with 650 bhp and is powered by an Audi RS6 engine which got a second turbocharger.

Delivery of the first, and up to 360 km/h fast, cars will still be in 2005. Next year 50 to 60 cars shall be handed over to rich people, because you have to drop 198.000 Euro (base price, excluding tax) on the table.

Already 12 cars have been ordered and partly pre-paid by customers from Germany, France, UK and Switzerland, although Dubai is considered as the main market. ( see... Dubai is the next big thing!)

The Apollo is a mid-engined, rear-wheel drive two-seater with a carbonfibre monocoque chassis.

Gumpert says the car is aimed at serious track day drivers and claims that it has as much downforce as a DTM (German touring car) racer. The interior features racecar touches such as seats integrated into its monocoque and an adjustable pedal box.

The car is the brainchild of Audi’s former competitions chief Roland Gumpert, who oversaw its rallying success with the Quattro, and Roland Mayer, owner of German tuner MTM.

Gumpert has an official supply contract with Audi and has promised chief executive Martin Winterkorn the first drive in the finished production car. ‘We can use Audi’s know-how to build our cars so long as we don’t build a direct rival to a model in their range,’ said Gumpert.

The company aims to build 30 Apollos this year, with production rising to 150 cars within three years.

Now heres a super-exotic I had'nt heard of before... and with a TT RS6 engine, its potent all right! It's main competitor, btw is the Porsche 911 Gt3.

Check out
http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Features/article_1238.shtml

for Audi's take on the Gumpert, and more about Audi's race cars.

(compiled from various sources)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I bet it sounds incredible at WOT! It looks kinda stubby though (maybe it's just the pic). I'm not a fan of the bulky bodywork, although it serves a purpose.

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
Wow, that thing is beatiful. The only thing I don't like is the rear, which sucks since a lot of people would be seeing that part! No speedbumps or driveway inclines for that mother.

+rep for a good find.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
It's ugly, yet it turns me on :confused:

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts