Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get an IS300 soon and was wanting to know what would be more “budget friendly” in terms of not wasting a ton of money on random stuff thats not needed. Ive heard people say its easier to fully swap out the GE for the GTE but I want to be able to put down roughly 500-550whp reliably as this will be a weekend “fun” street car type project.

With the prices of GTE motors going up, was curious if it would be better to keep the GE block but build it with all forged GTE bottom end parts and build the head on it to hold the power and find a “slightly used” turbo setup and use that instead? Or finding a used GTE motor and rebuilding it using forged bottom end parts and buying a “slightly used“ turbo kit?

If someone who has built or swapped these cars and achieved what Im wanting to achieve could chime in or help me figure out a direction, I would really appreciate the help! Thanks.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
552 Posts
Plenty of information on this topic already. Please use the search function.

short answer. GTE rods and pistons, arp head studs, new head gasket.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
In for the daily I want to turboz my t00 jay zee foar doar soopra thread!

In all seriousness...we get this every day. Yes the car is cheap. No the car is NOT cheap to mod, soopra tax applies. Also, WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT 500-550whp? Am I missing something?

My weekend fun car is an 80hp fiat x1/9, mid engined goodness. My brothers weekend fun car is an NB miata. What do you mean by weekend fun car? In my mind fun constitutes taking highway exits pedal to the metal.

If I were to do it again I would probably build the GE and I'm not even gonna talk about money because either do it well or don't do it. Thats just my opinion...take it for what it is, not personal.

Good luck and welcome!!!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I get so irritated at this sheet that I realize I did not provide any input....although I do hate to talk about cheaping out.

So....

With the prices of GTE motors going up, was curious if it would be better to keep the GE block but build it with all forged GTE bottom end parts and build the head on it to hold the power and find a “slightly used” turbo setup and use that instead? Or finding a used GTE motor and rebuilding it using forged bottom end parts and buying a “slightly used“ turbo kit?
I paid for a swap a long time ago. The 2JZ was last produced more than 10 years ago so any junkyard engine you get is going to be at least that old...although it will probably be older than that. Old junkyard engines are all a gamble.

The options you present are either to build a GE or to build a GTE. Considering you already have a GE, building that will be cheaper; no need to buy an engine. Do you have a shop? Are you doing the work? Labor is VERY expensive so consider that. I'm not throwing numbers out because cheap means a different thing to different people but it is NOT cheap to build an IS/SC even though the car itself is worth peanuts.

Look through this sub-forum ---> Go Faster ---> the newest car is now 15 years old, everything has been done.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
552 Posts
I too love absolutely wringing my buddies NA Miata to the absolute limit in my SCCA and HPDE events. Low HP lightweight cars are an absolute blast to drive. Then again the OP wants to go fast straight. Probably the reasoning for 500-550whp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts