Lexus IS Forum banner

GTE Swap in Progress

5K views 60 replies 17 participants last post by  2jay 
Check all your hoses when you are doing your normal stuff when I got my motor they were rock hard and most of them needed replaced

If you diconnect the trans. shift mechnism, cross member, remove radiator and motor mounts then pull the engine and tranny forward, I think its possible to have room down there to work with. Of course, an engine hoist hast to be in place to hold every thing up. A jack can be used to support the tranny from underneath. I took out my GE motor this way without removing the nose or transmission from the car.
RE: turbo lines. I have em, just took em off to clean and inspect.
Its just as easy to take it out trust me

Thanks,
Timing belt/tensioner, water pump, plugs & wires and real main seal will be changed.
I'm debating if to go with OEM belt or that blue Gates racing belt.
Also, what are the recommended spark plugs for VVTi gte Motor?
oem belt and replace your tstat while your doing the pump too

Don't do it. Even with a skilled tuner my brother's car (GTE swap that was on twins at the time with an AEM FI/C) still didn't run right.

Go with a standalone EMS.
I second Kap unless your insanely genius like teck or tony the tiger a piggy back on an IS is just asking for headaches

I would have just gone with a drift motion set that's what i have for my r154 flywheel and they seem up to par and are pretty reasonably priced

This is the same way I have mine done only difference is my fitting is not a 90 the fitting didn't quite sit in as tight as I would like so I might try a slightly larger one and tap it out a bit more

You probably threaded it too deep with the tap; its tapered, so the more you turn, the bigger the hole gets. Try wraping the fitting with some teflon tape,
that might make it screw in a bit more snug.
I didnt really tap it much at all but the fitting just barely was too bit for it to slide in without being tapped so i might just need something with bigger threads i can't remember what size fitting ant tap i used

way to go you beat me to it haha mine is ready to start I just won't have time to do anything to it for two more weeks
Glad it went smooth though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.