Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ended up getting my VVTI GTE Motor from tigerJapanese instead of the local importer for less.

So Far, I've removed the aristo harness, p/s, A/C compressor and Auto trans.
My GE motor is already out. I'm waiting to get and change a few parts on the GTE engine before I drop it in.
I'll try to work on it a little bit more today.

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
i don't know for sure cuz i don't have this swap, but isn't a MAJORRRRRRR pain in the a$$ to go to a single turbo later on than to just do it now when its all sitting out of the car?

·
Registered
204 Posts
i don't know for sure cuz i don't have this swap, but isn't a MAJORRRRRRR pain in the a$$ to go to a single turbo later on than to just do it now when its all sitting out of the car?
yea its almost impossible to do it with the motor in the car. sum claim they've done it but i dont see how, theres no room... i will be pulling my motor when i go single...

2jay,
i know your staying twins, above your turbos there should be hard running lines that controls the sequential setup for the twins. you dont have them. did you get the motor like that or did u do that yourself?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea its almost impossible to do it with the motor in the car. sum claim they've done it but i dont see how, theres no room... i will be pulling my motor when i go single...

2jay,
i know your staying twins, above your turbos there should be hard running lines that controls the sequential setup for the twins. you dont have them. did you get the motor like that or did u do that yourself?
If you diconnect the trans. shift mechnism, cross member, remove radiator and motor mounts then pull the engine and tranny forward, I think its possible to have room down there to work with. Of course, an engine hoist hast to be in place to hold every thing up. A jack can be used to support the tranny from underneath. I took out my GE motor this way without removing the nose or transmission from the car.
RE: turbo lines. I have em, just took em off to clean and inspect.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If you diconnect the trans. shift mechnism, cross member, remove radiator and motor mounts then pull the engine and tranny forward, I think its possible to have room down there to work with. Of course, an engine hoist hast to be in place to hold every thing up. A jack can be used to support the tranny from underneath. I took out my GE motor this way without removing the nose or transmission from the car.
RE: turbo lines. I have em, just took em off to clean and inspect.
Its just as easy to take it out trust me

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check all your hoses when you are doing your normal stuff when I got my motor they were rock hard and most of them needed replaced
yeah! After all that work, don't want to have any leaks espically during the first start up...kinda ruiens the moment.

What's your opinion on running a AEM FIC with a boomslang harness?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good luck with the build. Motor looks really clean. If you are going to do away with the sequential setup do it now before you ever drop motor in the car. I would also recommend doing water pump, timing belt, and rear main seal if nothing else before motor goes in the car as it is a whole lot easier to do those things with the motor out. As far as your engine management. I have the same swap in my car and am also running FIC with boomslang harness. I like it and my tuner is familiar with the software. I believe it is a good system until you start going heavy into modding, then probably something higher end would be needed, But if you are staying with stock twins you should be good to go. Also make sure you have the rear turbo and inlet tube machined or you will run into fitment issues with it and your wiring harness along the firewall. just ask TeckIs300 and wingzero. There are other fitment problems but if you do some research on the site they are all answered.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good luck with the build. Motor looks really clean. If you are going to do away with the sequential setup do it now before you ever drop motor in the car. I would also recommend doing water pump, timing belt, and rear main seal if nothing else before motor goes in the car as it is a whole lot easier to do those things with the motor out. As far as your engine management. I have the same swap in my car and am also running FIC with boomslang harness. I like it and my tuner is familiar with the software. I believe it is a good system until you start going heavy into modding, then probably something higher end would be needed, But if you are staying with stock twins you should be good to go. Also make sure you have the rear turbo and inlet tube machined or you will run into fitment issues with it and your wiring harness along the firewall. just ask TeckIs300 and wingzero. There are other fitment problems but if you do some research on the site they are all answered.
Thanks,
Timing belt/tensioner, water pump, plugs & wires and real main seal will be changed.
I'm debating if to go with OEM belt or that blue Gates racing belt.
Also, what are the recommended spark plugs for VVTi gte Motor?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Thanks,
Timing belt/tensioner, water pump, plugs & wires and real main seal will be changed.
I'm debating if to go with OEM belt or that blue Gates racing belt.
Also, what are the recommended spark plugs for VVTi gte Motor?
oem belt and replace your tstat while your doing the pump too

·
Registered
71 Posts
I went with the gates belt just b/c the price wasn't too bad vs stock belt but either will work. Also MX99204 is right. Go ahead and replace thermostat now as it will be a major pain once motor is in the car and it's really easy to get to with it out.

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
yeah! After all that work, don't want to have any leaks espically during the first start up...kinda ruiens the moment.

What's your opinion on running a AEM FIC with a boomslang harness?
Don't do it. Even with a skilled tuner my brother's car (GTE swap that was on twins at the time with an AEM FI/C) still didn't run right.

Go with a standalone EMS.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Don't do it. Even with a skilled tuner my brother's car (GTE swap that was on twins at the time with an AEM FI/C) still didn't run right.

Go with a standalone EMS.
I second Kap unless your insanely genius like teck or tony the tiger a piggy back on an IS is just asking for headaches

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I second Kap unless your insanely genius like teck or tony the tiger a piggy back on an IS is just asking for headaches
Hmmm...I guess I have to do a bit more homework on fuel management. Drove to TITAN Motorsports today to pick up my timing belt; gates blue cost $55...
I spoke to the dude there and told him that I wanted to run a AEM FIC, Hp goal was 400ish, he said it can work and they can dyno tue it. Still, I'll find out more about other systems.
Will an Emanage ultimate be OK? Opinions please...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rear turbo outlet pipe

before:

I cut out the butterfly type restrictor and removed all components completely. Tapped the hole on the pipe with a 1/8 pipe thread tap( use 23/63 drill bit) A 1/8 brass pipe plug($1.45 from Home depot) will cap and seal the existing hole.

hacked 3/8" off the turbo compressor inlet, inlet pipe next, then to resurface both mating pieces

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.