Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need input

I want to be around 750 hp in our project car.........

I cannot decide to do a TT block or just buy new internals...

The problem with that is, what size will i need and which brand should i get.

Now to the head work, what can be done and what should i do? Let's say i build up the bottom end and the top end but cannot decide on the tubro kit to use, but will be stock for a bit. how will the engine run with all this done but no boost?

please help me on any parts i will need and work i can get done..

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
what size will you need for what??

as far as the headwork ect..if you start gettin headwork done, I would wait until you have the turbo kit... then you can talk to the tuner who you bought the kit from and get airflow specs, along with small other things like if you want to port match both sides of the head..or just the intake side..Or you could contact a very reputable head/machining shop who has alot of 2jz experience and they should be able to guide you in the right direction...

in short be careful about what you buy if you are not sure you are gonna need it...

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
fairuza11 said:

as far as the headwork ect..if you start gettin headwork done, I would wait until you have the turbo kit... then you can talk to the tuner who you bought the kit from and get airflow specs, along with small other things like if you want to port match both sides of the head..or just the intake side..Or you could contact a very reputable head/machining shop who has alot of 2jz experience and they should be able to guide you in the right direction...

in short be careful about what you buy if you are not sure you are gonna need it...
i know i'm stupid, but i do like to learn things from time to time.....

how is it possible to port both sides on an inline motor?? or maybe I just dont understand the terminology, "port match"??????

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,617 Posts
10secondIS said:
fairuza11 said:

how is it possible to port both sides on an inline motor?? or maybe I just dont understand the terminology, "port match"??????
i think he means the intake side and exhaust side...hence "BOTH" sides...

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
HyperMKIV said:
10secondIS said:
fairuza11 said:

yah thats what I got too. I guess my question would be then, what is there to port on the intake side?? since all the cylinders are on the exhaust side??

i'm stoopid i know

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,617 Posts
is300soon said:
I need input

Now to the head work, what can be done and what should i do? Let's say i build up the bottom end and the top end but cannot decide on the tubro kit to use, but will be stock for a bit. how will the engine run with all this done but no boost?

to be at 750...you don't really need to do THAT much to the internals. my friend's MKIV has stock internals and he's making about 600 to the wheels...no headwork either...

if you really want it done right...banlance and blueprint the motor and freshen up the head...some porting done by a GOOD machinist...go with a really good, reliable turbo and a good fuel setup...

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
There are intake ports and exhaust ports alike. They are about the same length in the 2jz head. The intake plenum could be extrude honed and port matched.

Dave, let me talk to that one shop up here and see what they can do. I know we can get the over sized valves done there at least, not sure how well they are at porting.

Let me know if you find a shop down there and I can send my old head back down.

Kane

10secondIS said:
HyperMKIV said:
10secondIS said:
fairuza11 said:

yah thats what I got too. I guess my question would be then, what is there to port on the intake side?? since all the cylinders are on the exhaust side??

i'm stoopid i know

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,617 Posts
dont' forget...when it comes to flow dynamics...bigger is not always better...in other words...places like extrude hone and stuff aren't always the best bet...

one of my machinist friends showed me on a flow bench...there's a big diff in the way someone can port a head. if the person really knows about air flow, they really don't have to necessarily open the passage up that much...

just something to remember...also, when choosing a machinist...check they're past jobs...talk to their past customers...

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
if your goal is only 750 hp...why are u even messin w/ the head? you could get there quite easily with a built bottom end...a lot of gas...and a big turbo...look at SRT...isman and parcelpimp's car are doin just fine.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
They have a t76, huge turbo, but the is300 will always make less power with the same turbos because if the size of the exhaust ports. I would suggest portin the heads in order to get the maximum volumetric efficiency out of a boosted motor with cams.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
the gte block will be fine, i think you are a bit blissfully optimistic about making that power, its going to take you a while to get that straightened out after attempting to do so, just as an fyi or IMO

you should be worrying more about engine management, rather than a shortblock. the gte short block can handle that easily, all things being assumed as correct and not defective

-gte

is300soon said:
I need input

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
IS300GTE said:
the gte block will be fine, i think you are a bit blissfully optimistic about making that power, its going to take you a while to get that straightened out after attempting to do so, just as an fyi or IMO

you should be worrying more about engine management, rather than a shortblock. the gte short block can handle that easily, all things being assumed as correct and not defective

-gte

is300soon said:
I need input

I gotta agree with GTE about this one too.. you could have the best of the best parts ever... but a bad tune and bad engine management will yield you bad results..

::::thanks to whoever added in their own opinions to my post:::: :roll:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
BINGO!!!

AND THE exhaust port could be portmatched to the size of the exhaust manifold outlet_flange to acheive better outflow>>

Kanine21 said:
There are intake ports and exhaust ports alike. They are about the same length in the 2jz head. The intake plenum could be extrude honed and port matched.

10secondIS said:
HyperMKIV said:
10secondIS said:
fairuza11 said:

i'm stoopid i know

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
On a 400rwhp car, an oversized valve job alone could net close to 40rwhp! Imagine how it might help a 750rwhp car? You'll need to open those valves more as well to increase flow, which means bigger cams, and eventually porting and polishing the head.

This is our project car, meant for raw power, not a daily driver. Any little bit we can squeeze out, equals lower ET's.

Dave, I picked up that book on turbo's called Maximum Boost, I'll read through it and send it to you if you want, it's very informative, and will probably help us with our plans.

Kane

lilaznboi said:
if your goal is only 750 hp...why are u even messin w/ the head? you could get there quite easily with a built bottom end...a lot of gas...and a big turbo...look at SRT...isman and parcelpimp's car are doin just fine.

·
Premium Member
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the words guys, here is why i am looking into things now. The engine is coming out soon so the car can be painted, so i see this as a good chance to do some things that we would need later on.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.