Lexus IS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this has been a learning exp for me, i am taking the head off an engine for Kanine, and nobody around here had a 10mm bi hex socket, so i got a hex 10mm and it worked on every head stud but one, it stripped on the first push. How do i get this out now?

Please help in a hurry :) if you can help.

David

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
You can use a stripped bolt removal kit...it's sorta like a reverse threaded socket. Inside looks like the inverse of a drill bit. When you turn it in reverse, the head of the bolt goes deeper into the socket and grips the edge of the threads.

Then get a new stud.

By the way. How hard are these head studs torqued?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
what the hell is a bi-hex? do you mean a 12pt bolt? please PM me I have solutions fo removing stripped bolts as i have done a dozen or so building two motors ;)

from rusted pulley bolts to seized manifold bolts......

that bolt remover wont work on a Head Bolt De... too much tension on that sucka :( I bought and tried that kit.

Your best bet is to spot weld another nut on to the top of that head bolt and turn that. try to get ot as close to parallel with existing bolt angles.

or use a dremel and grind down the 12pt bolt to a neat 6pt hex shape and hammer a slightly smaller socket onto it and try that.

I got other solutions...

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
:eek: :eek:

he is using an inverted torx

i gave him the snap on part number, hopefully that is what is being used

if you can't get that out, the only way to get past it is to try and drill that. i have never ever done that, but i can only imagine the pain

if you can drill the bolt head off, and then lift the head off, you can then remove the actual bolt with vice grips at a later point in time

make sure you do not get metal in the block or block coolant passages, try and have a vacuum cleaner sucking up the crap as you drill it

-gte

·
Premium Member
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok i forgot to mention

this is off a motor that is blown, rods are crap and junk......

I looked at 12 stores today for a bi hex aka 12 point and nothing.

This is to send Kane spare parts in a hurry, so Rich i kinda had to do it this way. :(

damn this sucks!

·
Premium Member
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used a drill bit pretty big in size, I drilled out the area that was stripped and underthat you could see the teeth still in contact. I stuck the hex in and pounded it with a hammer then used a breaker bar and whamo it came loose.

David

GTE PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,617 Posts
BigDaddyRich said:
what the hell is a bi-hex? do you mean a 12pt bolt? please PM me I have solutions fo removing stripped bolts as i have done a dozen or so building two motors ;)
you have done a dozen or so building two motors??? what's that mean??? :p

IS300GTE said:
he is using an inverted torx
that would mean it's a 6 point if it were actually an inverted torx... ???

nm...locking this anyway...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.