Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have any recommendations for where to buy shocks from?

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Lexus dealer will sell you Koni Yellows brand new for $860 plus taxes.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I'll sell you a brand new set for $730 plus taxes.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I swear to God the prices of Koni yellows make me feel faint-ish. But your price seems pretty decent in comparison. Everybody... not just Lexus guys are telling me to get the Koni's.

Tire rack is selling Bilstein shocks for $111 each. After taxes, brokerage, etc... the full set costs $587.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I'd pick Koni Yellows over any of those low end TEIN coilovers and over all the dampers out there for our car.....Tokico, Bilstein, etc.

Esp if you're going to get GOOD product with LIFETIME warranty that you can BRING BACK TO YOUR LEXUS DEALER when you have a problem...I'd get Konis from me. For a price differnce of $238........ what are you waiting for!

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My current dampers aren't dead... but the new springs have clearly revealled that the shocks are old.

What's your price for Bilsteins?

I'm currently reading thru one of Happysmp's old threads. Looks like he went thru the same thing in trying to figure out which shocks to go with his springs.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For anybody else reading this thread... the question remains...

What are good places to buy shocks in Toronto?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shox.com has Koni Yellows for $632... FINAL! They have free shipping to Canada on Koni products.

Reactions: Johnnysks

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
We don't sell Bilstiens.

Just Koni's with Lexus-backed accessory warranty.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you "price match" shox.com?

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
you have to understand that prices have a lot behind them. Lexus sells a car at the price they sell it at because there is huuuuuge warranty costs associated with it.

Tata will be releasing a $2,500 car soon. I'm sure they will not be offering any warranty.

I can't price match shox.com

But I bet shox.com isn't so easy to deal with if your Koni happens to show some fluid leaks, or even a blown shock.

Granted it's a $200 difference (does their price include duties? GST and PST?) and ultimately it's your call right.

Reactions: Crester

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
I'm looking as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
you have to understand that prices have a lot behind them. Lexus sells a car at the price they sell it at because there is huuuuuge warranty costs associated with it.
Don't you mean lexus sells a car at the price they sell it at because they can get away with it. Sure the warranty adds price to the car but...........

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
the point I was trying to make was that warranty plays a lot into the cost of a vehicle.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Hey Lexusective. You have a shop?

BTW I wouldn't mind a set of Koni's. Not too happy with my Illuminas. They aren't as stiff as I imagined they would be.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Crester, im looking at a set aswell ..... GB .... ?
I'm looking as well.
Hey Lexusective. You have a shop?

BTW I wouldn't mind a set of Koni's. Not too happy with my Illuminas. They aren't as stiff as I imagined they would be.
Argh!!! Where were you guys before??!?! I doubt there's enough volume to coerce a company into giving group discounts. I think the best that can happen is see how many people need shocks... buy them from the same place... and hopefully save thru combined shipping.

I actually just placed an order for Bilstein shocks. Try as I might... I just couldn't get over the sticker shock of the Koni Yellows. Every time I saw the total price... my heart would stop. I mean... I'd be looking close to 1 GRAND to do that setup. The Bilsteins are already more expensive than normal... and the Koni's are a whole other level about that.

For those that are looking tho... from what I understand... Koni yellows are the best option. The best price i saw still is at SHOX.COM. They have the Koni Yellows for a great price and are apparently offering free shipping thru UPS to Canada. He'll ship DHL for $25.

Bilstein seems to be the next level after that... but they are not adjustable.

Tokico is another popular brand... but I've heard things about them and some people say they can get noisy.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One thing I'm not clear about tho is the Bilstein being "self-adjustable"?!?!? Could anybody explain that?

·
Registered
962 Posts
One thing I'm not clear about tho is the Bilstein being "self-adjustable"?!?!? Could anybody explain that?
it's most likely dynamic valving of the shock. it's where the internal valve on the shock senses the increased compression and rebound, whether it be a bumpy road or spirited driving. once it sees this increase in suspension movement, it adjusts the valving so that it allows less fluid/gas to pass through the valve and in turn making the shock stiffer.

i forgot where i read that, as it was a while back. but i'm pretty sure it's that.

Reactions: Johnnysks
1 - 20 of 48 Posts