Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the GS430's are now for sale at the dealerships. I'm going to go and test drive it for fun just to see what it's like in comparison to the GS400. hmmmm... I wonder whether I'll be able to tell the difference...
Eric....

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Yea, I want to know what you think.

Originally posted by EricK:
Apparently the GS430's are now for sale at the dealerships. I'm going to go and test drive it for fun just to see what it's like in comparison to the GS400. hmmmm... I wonder whether I'll be able to tell the difference...
Eric....

·
Registered
259 Posts
I saw the 2001 GS300, or at least I think it was, it had halogen's so it had to be a 300, and either I was seeing things, or the tail lights were all red, (no amber or pink like the 98's-00's) It was rolling so I may be wrong here, but I think they got new rims, maybe 6 or 7 spoke, pretty thick spokes too... 16"s from what I could guess.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep...from the wheels you described, that's a 2001 GS300.. The tail lights are slightly different which probably makes them shine in a different way..
Eric...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read somewhere that the 2001 Lexus GS430 has a fuel economy of 20/25 and those figures are confirmed by www.lexus.com.......BUT.. The window sticker of the 2001 GS430 reads 18/23..... What gives?
Eric...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you think it's because the 20/25 is Lexus's figure and the 18/23 is the EPA figure? Lexus is being liberal again....
Eric...

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Not likely. The new shape is not coming before 2004. The GS was new for 1998, and Lexus usually recycles in 6 years or more.
We'll probably see the newer model at the 2003 Auto shows. Untill then, only minor cosmetic enhancements - like the ones for 2003. Perhaps more airbags, different rims, a souped up version to compete with the bad boys of Germany (I wish).
I wonder how radical a redesign it's going to be, considering the car is so good already.
If only they took consumer input, they could really build the ultimate car.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yesterday I had the opportunity to test drive the new Lexus GS430. It was silver with the spoiler, 17inch wheels, Mark Levinson soundsystem, and every other option with the exception of the NAV. Outside the differences can best be decribed as subtle. The new grill gives it a more aggressive look and the new tail-light assembly freshens up the rear. Other than that it looks like the same car I once had. The interior changes are slighly more significant. There is more wood here and there (like ash tray in center console), and the wood work on the steering wheel is tastefully executed with the Lexus emblem in silver. There are now gray/silver boarders around the 3 gauges. Then I tried the Mark Levinson soundsystem at both high and low volume and there was no distortion of any kind. The Mark Levinson system can be described as down right fantastic and can by itself sell the car. There are now audio controls on the steering wheel which is an added convenience. Then the drive... Immediately I missed the E-shift buttons which they should have kept. It felt powerful as I expected it be but it didn't seem to have any extra oooph over the GS400. But then again, I'm driving a Mercedes E55 now so every other sedan seems slow to me.
....Also the transmission didn't seem to have that aggessively abrupt downshift from 3rd to 2nd the way the old GS400 did. Nevertheless no one would complain in the power department of the GS430. The ride seemed stiffer than that of the GS400 too (my only complaint of the GS400). It sticked for $52,500 and I think it's worth every penny when you consider the competition. BMW 540i sport and Mercedes benz E430 sport soar past the GS430 as far as sticker price. For the most part the changes made to the model it replaced were definitely for the better (with the exception for the E-shift absence) It's a great car and I'll confidently recommend it to anyone. Lexus is getting closer and closer to perfection...
Eric.....

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey My friend just got his GS430 last week.. Black on Black with NAV.. It's Clean... But he does not want some of the TurboIS...jk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts