Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just saw it tonight, basically a GS430 vs a 540i(?) playing chicken on a cliff, commercial says something like, the GS430 has more power, and better stopping ability, cuts to a shot of the BMW going over the cliff with the guy saying "so much for the Ultimate Driving Machine" or something to that extent. you see the BMW parachuting to the bottom. it was pretty amusing. I guess Lexus is aggressively targeting BMW and are actually admitting it. good commercial.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
yeah...lexus is after bmw/mb's market and mb is after bmw's market and bmw is after lexus/mb's market.....freak.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by sigss:
if even the former GS400 can blow away the 540i, the GS430 can surely widen that gap.
The former GS400 could beat & not "blow away" a BMW 540i. (Road & Track, Car & Driver comparison results).... I test drove the GS430 twice and it didn't feel all that much faster than the GS400 (which was already a VERY fast car). Also, I thought the transmission program was better in the GS400 with the lightning quick 3-2 gear change when floored. The GS430 doesn't down shift as quickly.... To sum it up I think that although the GS430 has a bigger engine and most of the changes were for the better, they seemed to have pushed it more towards Luxury and less towards sport.... (removing the E-shift, softening the tranmission, and adding more wood (on steering wheel etc). Don't get me wrong, it's still one hell of a car!

Eric...

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited November 17, 2000).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts