Lexus IS Forum banner

GS400 vs GS430....

19K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  EricK 
#1 ·
The 1998 brochure of the GS400 states that the car can do 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. My GS400 definitely feels fast although no car magazine has achieved that acceleration time with the exception of Motor Trend (who are notorious for fast acceleration times). Well the 2001 brochure states that the GS430 has more torque, and that it has better low end power, and better off the line response. Well if that's the case, then shouldn't the GS430 be faster than the car it replaces. The 2001 GS430 brochure states the car does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. Is Lexus finally taking on a conservative flair with their performance specs...? Keep in mind that the old GS300 (1993-1997) was supposed to go 144mph according to Lexus but only did 134 mph in an old Car & Driver road test. 10mph is a significant difference in my book..
Eric.....

#5 ·
The 5.7 0-60 time is quoted from the February 1998 issue of Motor Trend. But i'm wondering....they MUST have had brochures for the current model GS right? Didn't it debut fall of '97 as a 98 model? I'm not too sure, but I'm interested in what the original brochures stated the time to be before MT conducted their test. Probably low 6's.

#7 ·
Looking at the original brochure (which came out in the fall of 1997) before I bought my GS400, it states that the car does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. Motor Trend confirmed that time in their first road test of the car (which was after Road & Track's first road test). As far as weight is concerned, the current GS400 weighs 3693 lbs and the new GS430 weighs 3714 lbs. So I don't think 21 lb difference should make a difference in performance/acceleration times.
Eric....

#13 ·
Higher displacement=higher torque. I doubt it adds more than a few pounds. The extra pounds are probably coming from the side curtain airbag units. I'm sure the car will get better performance number (although marginal), and feel even better off the line.
Notice: higher torque at lower rpms. So an even smoother and effortless drive.

#14 ·
According to this photo copy I got from the Lexus Dealership the same A650E-5 transmission used in the GS400 will be used in the GS430 (w/out e-shift)... So gearing is not an issue here as far as acceleration times...
Eric...

#16 ·
Hey Eric, much like most of the people on this board have pined and waited for their new IS, I am having a hell of a time waiting for that 98 GS 400. Dec. 15 is it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.