Lexus IS Forum banner
261 - 280 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
I won't be using a hydraulic release bearing since i have a w55, but it seems on their site that this is ok?
You have to use their clutch setup. You'll be using the 1UZ bell housing with the adapter so, you can't use the W55 slave. There's no hole in the bell housing to install a conventional slave cylinder.

I believe I'm using a clutch and PP from a turbo MR2. I'd have to go through my pics to find the exact model. I'm using an ACT organic disk. You won't be able to use your existing flywheel or any of the existing clutch bits. Not even the hoses from the master. You need a special flywheel because of the size and the way the starter engages the flywheel. The $900 kit comes with a flywheel.

The driveshaft bolted right on. It's got a slip joint built into it so, there's a bunch of adjustment room.

Keep in mind, doing this swap with a manual is much harder to get CEL-less. The ECU is looking for the transmission. There's no such thing as a 1UZ manual ECU.

Amazon.com: ACT T023 Pressure Plate: Automotive

Amazon.com: Centerforce 384120 Clutch Disc: Automotive

·
Registered
30 Posts
You have to use their clutch setup. You'll be using the 1UZ bell housing with the adapter so, you can't use the W55 slave. There's no hole in the bell housing to install a conventional slave cylinder.

Keep in mind, doing this swap with a manual is much harder to get CEL-less. The ECU is looking for the transmission. There's no such thing as a 1UZ manual ECU.
Ya, I didnt even think of the bellhousing issue, I'm making a list as we speak. The parts list increases by the moment!

I think I can trick the ECU as far as the shift solenoids go, but Im not sure about the speed sensor. That will take some time. I think I am going to start making an adapter harness in the mean time while I build a parts inventory.

I have sourced a JDM 1uzfe out of a 00 GS400 with only 45k miles. It comes with all wiring, ECU, Auto Trans, etc. Will the JDM ECU work or will I more than likely have to get a US one? Im not sure whether the setup will come with a Fuel pump controller so I will more than likely have to find one of those as well.

I noticed some very nice heat shielding on the last post. Were you able to swap the stuff from the GS? Looks great! I really appreciate any help/ advice you can give me. Your build was inspiring and I love that you matched up the factory wire colors and all as I will be doing the same.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
I think I can trick the ECU as far as the shift solenoids go, but Im not sure about the speed sensor. That will take some time. I think I am going to start making an adapter harness in the mean time while I build a parts inventory.
I built one with solenoids from an old transmission. Resisters won't work for the shift solenoids but will work with the linear solenoids (the big one).

1 - I'm currently CEL-less but my car is making no attempt to go into readiness. It's wired/ for neutral and apparently neutral tells the ECU to not even try to check the emissions.

2 - There are two speed sensors from the transmission. The one you'll need to emulate to pass emissions is the front one. It's the one that detects the input shaft speed.

3 - If you're get the JDM auto, you get all the parts you need for this. Solenoids and bell housing. More than likely a JDM one won't talk OBD2 so, the question is whether you have to pass emissions or not. If you get a USDM one you'll need matching keys. You might be better off buying a working GS400 and taking parts off it. That's what I did.

4 - Toyota DOES re-use wire colors there on the ECU connectors so when it's time to disconnect you need to tag each wire. I didn't realize this at first and had to do some "process of elimination" things to verify which wires were what.

This pic is the underside of an SC400. I was just trying to show the Y-pipe I used. There's a decent amount of space around the exhaust. I'm not worried about overheating anything.

Do note that I used SC430 exhaust manifolds because the GS400 ones wouldn't clear the rack. Still had to ding the manifolds a little. I doubt a header would work because of this clearance issue. The clearance there is tight.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I will need to pass emissions every year. Obviously there are the few guys that will pass the car for a hefty fee, but that is not what I'm shooting for.

I shouldnt need new keys with a replacement ECU because I can reseed them myself. I figured the JDM ECU would not talk to US OBDII. You think they will include the fuel pump controller? The motor doesnt arrive until next ednesday so I dont know for sure.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
I shouldnt need new keys with a replacement ECU because I can reseed them myself.
I was under the impression you needed at least one working key in order to do this on the older ECU's. I don't know this for a fact. There's something funny about the immobilizers in the 01' IS's and the GS400 ECU's are older still. I thought they'd share the wonkiness.

You think they will include the fuel pump controller?
Probably not. They probably don't even notice it was there.

9570A 8957030180 COMPUTER ASSEMBLY, FUEL PUMP CONTROL. COMPUTER ASSY, FUEL GS300 (JZS160),UZS16# $325.21

I'd probably look for one on Ebay.

I will need to pass emissions every year. Obviously there are the few guys that will pass the car for a hefty fee, but that is not what I'm shooting for.
I'll have to pass too but I have 2 years to get it working. I'd just got mine through emissions before I took the automatic off. I assume the speed sensor can be referenced off the tach pulses somehow. I need to get another IS300 together and probe the signal from the automatic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Darn, i just had an auto in the shop a couple days ago I could have checked it for you. According to my knowledge any Immobiliser within the ECM can be reseeded. If the car has a transponder ECU seperate then you will need to replace that when all keys have been lost. At least that is the way Toyota does it.

Ill probably look for a fuel pump controller at a pull apart and other sources. Ebay is still pretty expensive and most dont come with the harness I see.

+ Rep BTW

·
Registered
30 Posts
Going to check out the motor tomorrow, as long as everything checks out, Ill be purchasing it. Wish me luck! I may have to start a build thread now...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bah, they didn't get the crate unloaded till late this afternoon, and didn't get around to the inspection yet. I will be going on Monday now. Did you ever figure out how far your Tach was off?

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
If i remember correctly, I read on Lextreme.com that you can have a machine shop elongate the 3SGTE flywheel mount holes to bolt up to the 1UZ crank.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tach issue

Don't know if you solved your tach issue yet or not, but I plan on using this.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-sgi-8?seid=srese1&gclid=CNOvmJyulcUCFdcYgQod-D0Aig

Also you said that your exhaust manifolds were off an sc430, but judging by your photos i think they are actually sc400 ones.

98 01 Lexus sc400 Right Exhaust Manifold Headers SC 400 RT RH V8 | eBay

I have acquired a motor! I still need to source an ECU, yes you were correct, it will have to be reflashed. Got a guy in town that is Certified to set into auto registration mode!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Any updates on the transmission box?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
There's two things you have to solve.

1 - You have to simulate the solenoids if you don't want insta-cels. That works fine. I'm actually using all 4 of the small solenoids from an existing transmission and large resisters for the 3 linear solenoids. No CEL's. I've even tracked on that setup.

2 - I'm currently running my ECU wired for neutral. It works decently well. I have a feeling it's a bit down on power because it doesn't think it's in gear. If you're in an area without emissions. You can just run this way. The ECU on the 1UZ makes no effort to go into readiness when the ECU is wired this way. I'm CEL less because it's not even looking at the secondary 02 sensors. It'll set any cel except for emissions CEL's. So if I want to get through emissions, I'm going to have to wire it for reverse or 1st gear so it'll go into readiness.

The problem is that the automatic has 2 speed sensors. One on the output shaft and one on the input shaft to the tranny. So, whenever the engine is running the ECU is expecting speed sensor output from the input shaft to the ECU. I don't have that because I have a manual transmission now. So I'll need to simulate it before I wire the ECU into first or reverse. Otherwise I get a speed sensor CEL.

That's where I am today. I'm putting together my backup IS300 from parts left over from the swap. I intend it to be a development mule so, I can probe the signals and see exactly what the ECU is expecting at each RPM. Once I know that, I can move forward with the simulator.

I have one other option I'm considering. Running the 2JZGE manual ECU and a standalone to run the engine. That's farther out. For now I'm working on my test mule and will take waveforms when it's running.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
I don't mind answering your questions. That's too bad about Brads site. I used it as the basis for my swap.

How about starting a new topic about a V8 swap, ask your questions there and I'll try to answer. The only hard thing about this swap really was taking the two automatic transmissions apart and mating them together. I used the Lexus manual for that procedure. Brads pics were nice but not detailed enough.

I have a spread sheet for the pinouts too. You have a decent amount of ECU re-wiring to do. I recommend starting with a donor car instead of just an engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That would be awesome if you could consolidate it all on one page. I have an 02 so that's why I wanted to see what the differences in pin outs were and what not. Do we necessarily need a donor car?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
That would be awesome if you could consolidate it all on one page. I have an 02 so that's why I wanted to see what the differences in pin outs were and what not. Do we necessarily need a donor car?
It's a bunch of hassle. The information is here. I don't see why you can't consolidate it if you're serious about doing the swap. I offered to answer your questions.

Do we necessarily need a donor car?
I used the GS400 emissions piping to the engine. I used the GS400 evap emissions box. You will have to mate the two transmissions together. You'll have to use the GS400 ECU. You'll want the fuel pump controller and controller wiring (which is in the trunk). An IS300 uses the same transmission but a different front pump and torque convertor so, I don't believe you can just swap bell housings. The IS300 and GS400 use the same fuel pump so you won't have to swap that. You can just use a GS400 tranny but you'll then need a custom driveshaft. Swapping tranny guts was cheapest.

I cannibalized the GS400 body harness for much of the wiring. The GS400 ECU requires significantly more wires than the IS300. If you have ready access to ECU wiring supplies you probably don't need that.

The transmission is the only really hard part. The wiring isn't hard. Just tedious. I think for most people the tranny and wiring will be the hardest port. Mechanically it mostly just bolts together (with some dinging here and there).

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
My main concern is that in NY you have to perform an OBD2 scan of the car to pass emissions. Having an auto 01, I would most likely have to swap to a manual harness, ECU, and chip from a donor '02 manual IS300. That "should" get me past any tranny CEL and readiness issues. (unless you have an easy soleniod box tutorial, like what harness pins to resistor to 12ohms?)

The next step would be wiring up the 1UZ ECU to send emission data to the Factory IS300 OBD2 port.

Can we run two ECU's (one 1UZECU for motor, and the IS300 ECU for all body, ABS, fuel pump, etc)

Ughhh... I have a stockpile of crap in the basement... still trying to sort it all out so i can pass emissions without shelling out hundreds per year to buy a sticker.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
I'd do what I did. Get it working and passing emissions using the 1UZ and automatic tranny. In VA that gives you a 2 year window to get the manual tranny working again. I passed emissions with flying colors with the 1UZ auto. The only issue is you need to lie a little if they ask you engine size. You have to say "4.3" and pretend it's a 3UZ. You can't stick an older engine in and pass emissions. OBD2 though works just fine as long as you use an engine from a 96 or newer V8. Visually that 98+ 1UZ and the 3UZ are nearly identical. I can eyeball the difference but the guys at the garage couldn't or didn't.

Can we run two ECU's (one 1UZECU for motor, and the IS300 ECU for all body, ABS, fuel pump, etc)
People do things like that. For the most part the 1UZ ECU runs the dash just fine. You lose the temp gauge. I'm using a "Scan Gauge" to monitor engine temp.

I don't know if it's really possible to get a manual 1UZ through emissions. I'm seriously considering swapping it back to automatic before my next emissions test this coming February.

261 - 280 of 288 Posts