Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1998 I was looking at both the BMW 540i and Lexus GS400 and liked the GS400 better (and it was significantly cheaper too). Anyways I stopped by the Lexus dealership and saw a fully loaded Millenium Silver GS430 with the Chromed Wheels, Mark Levinson & NAV. The price came to a whopping $56,800. ($22,000 more than an IS300) and a similarly optioned BMW 540i is priced at $58,430. I guess this goes to show how successful the GS has become that Lexus can afford to bump up the price. Keep in mind success did the same thing to the LS400 after its 1990 introduction. So, I think you guys had better grab your IS300s while you can at the current price cause it probably won't be the bargin it is in another two years time...
Eric...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Actually sticker prices can be decieving. Most BMW don't like to bargain, but Lexus is more apt to negotiate. Also in 2 years time, there should be more than enough cars to keep Lexus on their toes ie S60R, X-Type, XVL, new Z, RX7, A4, LS V8 w/mtx, Maxima 260hp, etc. And WRX of course

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Chiphead:
Actually sticker prices can be decieving. Most BMW don't like to bargain, but Lexus is more apt to negotiate. Also in 2 years time, there should be more than enough cars to keep Lexus on their toes ie S60R, X-Type, XVL, new Z, RX7, A4, LS V8 w/mtx, Maxima 260hp, etc. And WRX of course
That's Bull SH!T Kota.... My friends that have bought new BMW 3 series and my parents have always gotten a significant amount off the sticker. Whereas in 1998 I got a whole $500 off the GS400 I bought... Whooptidoo...
Eric...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by r2917:
I'd say it has mroe to do with the dollar/yen than with the GS400 success.
The all new GS which debuted in 1998 has been a sales success and has met the expectations set forth my Lexus....However, I'm sure the dollar/yen balance had an effect as well..
Eric....

·
Registered
727 Posts
Watch your language Erick, it depends on the area. Here in NJ, I can get $3221 off the base sticker on the GS430. The 540i, I can get $1337 off base sticker. The GS430 has an upgraded engine so it SHOULD sell higher. The BMW hasn't changed much in 4 year. All prices were taken from Carsdirect(which they must honor once your order).

Originally posted by EricK:
That's Bull SH!T Kota.... My friends that have bought new BMW 3 series and my parents have always gotten a significant amount off the sticker. Whereas in 1998 I got a whole $500 off the GS400 I bought... Whooptidoo...
Eric...

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
That's exactly what my dealer stated about the GS, LS, and RX series.... I wonder if the same is going to happen to the IS.

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about the Language KOTA, but I am talking about the MD/DC area as well as where my parents live in PA. They give significant discounts on the majority of their models when selling their cars (exception X5, M series cars & 330CIC). My friends (buying 323 & 330's) & parents (buying 7 series) got incredible deals on their cars.. A price increase on the IS is inevitable (which debuted as an instant hit in my book)...
Eric...

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited November 02, 2000).]

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also FYI Kota, the engine in the current 540i has been upgraded just the same since its introduction in 1997. In 1997-1999 it was making 310 lb/ft of torque and in 2000 it was making 324 lb/ft of torque. (simlar increases from GS400 to GS430)...
Eric...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Eric, in California it is difficult to get good discounts on any popular car right now. At least in the Bay Area. L.A. has a weaker economy so there is a bit more willingness to negotiate. Where people have money they know someone will walk through the door right behind you who doesn't care about $5k.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I was speaking from the standpoint my my locality as well as PA.... Have you seen the mark-ups of Audi TT's in CA???? WOW! Regardless, the point of my post was that I do in fact forsee a price increase on the IS300 that will place it significantly higher than where it is today. I'm sure the car will be improved as well in certain areas.
Eric....

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited November 02, 2000).]

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep...that's what I said... what happend to this page? Is it messed up on your computer?
Eric..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts