Lexus IS Forum banner

GS400 BEATS M5!!! (stoplight race)

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  MDaltezza 
#1 ·
The below is an excerpt from www.clublexus.com (Forum) in which a supercharged Lexus GS400 beats a BMW M5..
Eric....
"Author: Spirithome
Saw a GS4 beat an M5 in the bay area. Swift car?
Friday night 2:30am...6th.ave..San Francisco On ramp Friday night in San Francisco...Coming home from watching "Scarey Movie".. I was getting onto highway 280..when a 2000M5 and what appeared to be a 2000 GS4 ligned up in front of me. Both cars were reving and looking at each other. I was getting ready..cuz I just wanted to watch this! I had my windows open..so I could hear their engines. The M5's..engine sounds very throaty and aggressive as I recall..when I test drove it a couple weeks ago. (I really liked how it felt..by the way). The GS400 had a stillen body kit..and made an unusual whistling winding noise. My passenger pointed out to me "That's supercharger noise!"...As the light turned green....the cars BOTH spun tires..with some ferocity. The M5 shot out like a gun...like I expected...but the GS400 suprisingly shot out FASTER! Those cars went from 0-60 in a hurry and 0-100..just as fast..I lost them after about 15 seconds... (Also I didn't want to get a speeding ticket in that area..they always catch the trailing car). From what I saw..the GS was a car length or 2 ahead the entire way.. Man.....The M5 guy was not letting up either...I could tell from driving it that hard..before... Was that GS4 a swift-racing car or a stillen one? I think it was swift cuz I don't think the GS4 with a stillen or trd supercharger can beat an m5....But that display was quite awesome!
There are just TOO MANY balling cars in this area now...IT's almost ordinary...but not quite.

Spirit."

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited October 03, 2000).]

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey Eric, I have not been able to find a chip for the 98 GS 400. My guess is that I won't need one for a while b/c it's going to be plenty fast for me. However, in due time I know I will want one b/c I'm buying this car and will keep it for a good four or five years. Any thoughts?

#5 ·
Originally posted by brad:
Hey Eric, I have not been able to find a chip for the 98 GS 400. My guess is that I won't need one for a while b/c it's going to be plenty fast for me. However, in due time I know I will want one b/c I'm buying this car and will keep it for a good four or five years. Any thoughts?
Brad,
When I had my GS400 I never did any cosmetic or performance upgrades of any kind. The best place to look for chips etc is www.swift-racing.com ... According to swift racing, simply replacing the stock torque converter with their one will bring a substantial difference in 0-60 time (.5-.7 seconds or so!!!). Give them a call and ask for Muhammad and he'll tell you what will suit your needs..... Also off the subject, my parent's neighbor just sold his Ferrari 308 GTSi and is interested in looking at a late model. I read earlier that your uncle is selling 8 F360 Modenas. I haven't had the chance to ask my neighbor yet, but he may be interested. I'd appreciate it if you can send some details my way ekaru@aol.com . Thanks....
Eric...

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited October 03, 2000).]

#7 ·
Originally posted by kota:
Hey EricK do you know if Swift Racing makes any SC for the IS300?
I'm not sure kota, but they're probably working on such things. Give them at ring and ask.. tele# is at the site www.swift-racing.com ..... That engine is most commonly seen with twin turbo chargers on the late Toyota Supra and the Toyota Aristo (unavailable here). I'm sure that dual turbochargers with intercoolers would fit in the engine bay of the IS300. If you'd do such a conversion, you could formidable competitor in that race described above. If I was in the race above in my Mercedes Benz E55, then I would get Last place
Eric....

#8 ·
swift-racing does not have a supercharger yet... but they may be working on an intake for my car... i haven't heard from him in awhile.. i believe he had a meet somewhere.

their gs400 is black i think.. with the supercharger... i saw it at MIR once...
man.. that thing could haul a$$

------------------
Marlon
IS300 (white)
loaded w/o LSD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.