Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a bit of ugliness going on in this board between stockers and us performance geeks.
Many of you think the IS will have the same fate as the Civic and Neon with big ugly kits and stickers and wild spoilers all over the car. I highly doubt that, people will be more reluctant to do those things on a 30k car as they are on a 12k car. If you do, don't buy this car!
Well, I've got a Integra I assume most of you will call ricey, but hey, my kit makes the car more agressive and I've gotten more compliments than when I had it stock.

I think the majority of us(what some of you call "riceboys") plan to invest in high quality and high performance parts, and personally, an IS with wild mods and graphics would be an insult to many of us. I am definitely modding my IS, but the parts have to be of better quality and fit than factory (think Hamman, Dinan, AC Schnitzer for the BMW, or TRD parts).
There is certainly a need to find the perfect balance between customizing/hotrodding the IS and keeping the classy look of this awesome car.

One thing for sure though, when I'm done with the mods on my IS, my 18'' Racing Harts and coilovers will outhandle a stock IS and have a more agressive look,
my supercharger will beat the crap out of a stock IS (maybe even a 330I),
and the melodic tune out of my SS exhaust will out-harmonize a stock IS.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Very Nicely Put.
Im sure, or "I Hope" people will keep GOOD
TASTE in mind when they "Modify" this car.

You hit the Nail Right On the Head with your
statement above....

Im just afraid of seeing the Car Ghetto-ed Out!
Tacky..... You know?

·
Registered
239 Posts
personally, i think it would be pretty hard to make this nice looking car "ghettoed out" or ricey... unless of course ur a retard.. maybe in a few years when kids start buying used Is300's

·
Registered
70 Posts
AHHH!! Impreza! You never know, you don't see too many ugly BMW's. Because they're out of the price range ricers, they're usually tastefully modded. But then again, I have never seen a pic of a BMW like the one TEG just posted. When I get my IS it'll be modded tastefully. No vinyl racing stripes or lawnmower exhausts. A nice low growl is better. *Supercharger* ::drool::

[From TEG:

]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited August 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
although that IS has looks along the lines of a Lancer EVO IV, the pic Teq posted looks like it's ready to race in a GTR comp.

It looks very similar to the BMW on the cover of this month' max speed magazine. (A yellow 323 with the new Hamman GTR body kit)

I actually like that Altezza (except the hood and the color of the rims) if you take those out and the decals, you'd have a pretty nice look. Clean Body kit too!

however, that pic. is not as extreme as some people do their civics and neons. (Where's the racing stripe down the middle and side?)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Ooh, that hood would be perfect if it only had more superficial air scoops on it, and the car would be super if there were about a dozen more HP adding stickers on that sucker!
Seriously speaking though, the body kit does a very nice job of providing a more aggressive look.

·
Registered
511 Posts
When comparing the cost of body kits (including painting and installation) with the costs of real improvements there is simply no justification for body kits other than just posing. To spend $2-$3k for a body kit when the same dollars could be spent on brakes, suspension or engine is just crazy. Plus some of these kits would probably result in actually slowing the car down due to drag. The big difference between the factory and aftermarket body kit manuf. is a wind tunnel. Don't kid yourself that even Schnitzer does wind tunnel tests. The make them because people want to buy them--period.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There does seem to be quite an outcry from the "leave it stock" crowd. Let me begin by saying that I have no problems at all with what other people do with their own cars. Hey, I don't have to drive it. Me I'm in favor of real performance tuning. In other words modifications that produce a real performance gain. Be it upgraded suspension, brakes or horsepower. I think what all the debate is over, is mods made more appearance reasons. Appearance will always be a matter of opinion. So if the stock look is what you like, keep it stock. Otherwise mod it. I think somehow the stockers feel that some overly tricked out car somehow lessons the quality of their own car. This is untrue. As we know the Honda Civic is the most modified car on the streets today. When you see a stock one drive by you don't say "Check out that Riceboy" (or some other offensive term). No, you reserve that comment for the few individuals who just went a little to crazy with the stickers and exhaust size.

And so it will be for the IS300

One last word, if anybody knows how to modify Toyota America to make them produce a manual trans model faster... let me know.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Originally posted by chuck_rock:
AHHH!! Impreza! You never know, you don't see too many ugly BMW's. Because they're out of the price range ricers, they're usually tastefully modded. But then again, I have never seen a pic of a BMW like the one TEG just posted. When I get my IS it'll be modded tastefully. No vinyl racing stripes or lawnmower exhausts. A nice low growl is better. *Supercharger* ::drool::

[From TEG:

]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited August 16, 2000).]

Yeah, that BMW has just passed into the ricer category. get rid of the vinyl on the headlights, and change the wing to something else. then it'll look good.

------------------
Official member of the ClubSi.com So. Cal Fuddrucker and Boba Crews. Westside Represent!
  • 1999 EBP Honda Civic Si
  • AEM CAI
  • DC Ceramic 4-1
  • Greddy EVO Exhaust
  • Eibach Pro-Kits
  • Sprint Camber Kit
  • Razo Carbon Fiber Pedals
  • KYB AGX Adjustable Shocks

[This message has been edited by atomicbombpinoy (edited August 17, 2000).]

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
HEADLIGHTS ARE USED FOR VISION! I guess that BMW guy has night vision or something, since he covered up most of his headlights!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Originally posted by S38:
When comparing the cost of body kits (including painting and installation) with the costs of real improvements there is simply no justification for body kits other than just posing. To spend $2-$3k for a body kit when the same dollars could be spent on brakes, suspension or engine is just crazy.
Unless in the rare case the Bodykit allows you to run lower offset and wider wheels thus wider tires without having them stick out. It actually is functional. (Wide Body Kits)

But for the most part, yeah I agree with you, they're for show. But who said there's anything wrong with show?

I've got a question guys:

Would you say this car was tastelessly styled? or overdone?

Then what if I told you this car could hang with and just about match the straight line acceleration of a Dodge Viper? And also say it costs the equivalent of $30,000 in Japanese Yen. Would that sway your opinion?

Just FYI, that's the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo V. For those that couldn't pick out its disctinctive styling. Its one of the worlds most race prepped cars to come out of the factory.

Does it affect you opinion at all of the styling of a car if you know it can do 4.5 sec 0-60 stock? In all honesty ppl who don't know what a lamborghini diablo is, upon seeing it, comment, wow that's low, or its to long... or its too wide.

Those who know it's got a 600 hp V12, don't say anything because they're too busy picking their jaw up off the ground.

My point is that once a car reachs a certain level of performance, it gains the right to look controversial, and in some ppl's opinion's ricey.

That Altezza up there? powedercoat the rims silver to match the car... it looks perfect from there... if it runs 13's or better, I wouldn't give a damn. Those stickers aren't bad. You havent seen anything...

------------------
Kenny
3.2 TL

·
Registered
442 Posts
I like the Lancer EVO IV the V looks kinda odd to me. On the side note if anyone wants to see one of these things go rent Jackie Chans "Who Am I?"

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yes, Kenny it is overdone-no matter how fast it is. However, I know that car is in a lot of racing series, some of which may not allow non-factory body parts. That may be one reason for the tail. The huge "rally style" driving lights also indicate there may be reasons other than marketing.

The E30 M3 (1988-1991) had the fender flares and wing for that reason. The racing series it dominated in Europe did not allow additions to the factory body.

The last rally I saw on Fox Sports was one by a Pugeot instead of a Subaru or Mitsi like one would expect.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
well one thing i do know about this stuff is like kenny said, when someone knows how fast the car is, they see past the styling and drool. i think some people would rather have speed than looks, but that's just them. besides waht's better than a rice rocket that actually moves?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey vvtipwr...I am form Knoxville as well.....Did you get your IS from Lexus of Knoxville? If so what color and what kind of deal did you get?

K

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry to disappoint LAZK,

I'm holding for a 5speed, i already put a "deposit" down for the first white 5spd to come to town whenever. The guys at Lexus of Knoxville are really cool.

What kind of deal did you get? What color?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey VVT....well I was the first on the list for the black IS however when it came in, they wouldnt deal like I wanted too plus wouldnt give me much on my trade-in. I am trying to sell my car first then I will go back and deal with them. They are great people..My family have bought many cars from them. Hey..let me know if anyone you know in K-town needs this......
http://members.aol.com/akatommy69/myhomepage/lexus2.jpg[IMG]

K

1 - 20 of 23 Posts