Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do grounding kits like the teck grounding kit really work.. i have an automatic and i hear it does make it smoother and stuff like that but i just don't understand why... or how

thanks please any info as to the exact scienc eof this will be helpful (not the stuff shown on the is300.net store)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Electronical stuff always works best when it has a really good earth. That's moslty why the TECK kit works. Everything on the car is controlled by electronics, so making a better earth makes it more reliable.

·
Registered
659 Posts
all numbers being theoretical it works like this

Say at Wide open throttle (WOT), the throttle position sensor (TPS) sends out a signal of +5V to the ECU. The ECU has certain fuel and ignition maps based on this voltage (along with the other host of engine sensors but right now this is the only one you need to worry about).

If there is resistance in the circuit between the TPS and the ECU then the voltage that the ECU see's will be lower than what the TPS puts out. I.E. the TPS puts out +5V @ WOT and the ECU only see's +4.5V @ WOT. You wont get the proper fuel and timing map for WOT driving. The grounding kits try to remove most or all of the resistance by grounding selective points and sensors with thicker wire.

It works on the same concept with all the other sensors as well.

·
Registered
565 Posts
are grounding kits hard to isntall once you buy them??

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
IS300Sam said:
are grounding kits hard to isntall once you buy them??
no, it's just a matter of taking bolts out, putting a doo hickey on there and then putting the bolt back in place...the teckkit has nice pictures and stuff

·
Registered
21 Posts
indeed the kit works....installation is easy...

a tip that tecK dosn't mention is to sand down all the grounding points to bare metal. you get better current this way

·
Registered
508 Posts
i just installed mine recently. however, i did not notice a big difference. perhaps i should try to sand the metal part a bit like blklex said.
installation was not hard. if you have a struct bar, it is easier to unscrew the driverside and lift the bar before you continue with the 2 grounding points near/below the struct bar area.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The kit works, no doubt. It needs a good 100+ miles to learn the car. I even disconnected my battery for 20 minutes to reset the ECU so it can re-learn anew.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts