Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm new and I've already asked another question, so I'm sorry for all of these. We recently picked up a 2001 IS300. We were told at purchase that it needed brakes and on initial drive it did appear based on the grinding sound. After a 6hour trip home I pulled the wheels off.

I replaced:
Rear pads and rotors (both sides)
Front pads and rotors (both sides)

I did notice when pulling them apart that the driver side slide pin (lower) was stuck. This was causing an obvious abnormal wear on the pads, and causing the caliper to sit crooked. So I removed the bracket and using an air hammer, I finally got the seized pin out. I cleaned out the slide hole and pin, re-greased, cleaned the boot and inspected it. After re-assembly both pins appeared to be working PERFECTLY. When compressing the caliper it was a little more resistant than I had expected compared to the pass. side.

So I finally got everything back together and drove the car around. The grinding noise is still there. It only happens when you are above 25mph and doesn't do it when on jacks. I'm going to check the wheel bearing this weekend (jack it up and wiggle the wheel). I'm thinking possible bad caliper, bad wheel bearing, bad ball joint.

Its NOT causing the car to pull to either side, no brake pedal issues at all, nothing but that noise. It doesn't bother my wife (its her car) but it drives me up the wall...

Any suggestions guys/gals? I'll be more patient this time around :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Based on what you wrote above, it could be that the caliper has to be diassembled and cleaned (replacement is an option too). But it would not hurt to check the wheel bearing, ball joints and tie rods. Generally, I'm more accustomed to the latter two clunking rather than grinding though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Based on what you wrote above, it could be that the caliper has to be diassembled and cleaned (replacement is an option too). But it would not hurt to check the wheel bearing, ball joints and tie rods. Generally, I'm more accustomed to the latter two clunking rather than grinding though.
What is the best way to clean them? Is their a write up? I haven't searched yet..

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
i think its going to be your wheel bearing. you can test it by turning sharply to the left to test the right wheel by loading and vice versa for the left wheel. you will hear rubbing noise when the bearing becomes loaded by doing this. which ever direction you turn, it is the opposite side wheel. personally, if one is gone, change both to save yourself the hassle later on.

also, in cleaning the pin, did you sand it down a bit, if not you should just to have a better, smoother fit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think its going to be your wheel bearing. you can test it by turning sharply to the left to test the right wheel by loading and vice versa for the left wheel. you will hear rubbing noise when the bearing becomes loaded by doing this. which ever direction you turn, it is the opposite side wheel. personally, if one is gone, change both to save yourself the hassle later on.

also, in cleaning the pin, did you sand it down a bit, if not you should just to have a better, smoother fit.
Ok so if its the driver side I turn the wheel sharply to the right, correct? I will go and do this in the vacant lot at work. I'll drive in circles and see if the noise is there.

When cleaning the pin I did sand it down a little and it moved freely in and out. When putting the caliper back on both the upper and lower pin stuck out as far as the boot would let it. I pressed them back in with my fingers and bolted the caliper back down. I would guess they should be fine.

+rep to both for the help

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could a wheel being out of balance cause this grinding/wobbling sound? I noticed today that the front wheel is missing all the weights on it. All the other wheels have them..

I did check the wheel bearing doing the process above and no noise was made.

Any input?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
the wheel being out of balance can do this if it is severe. the jumping of the unbalanced wheel is being transfered by the suspension on to the unibody of the car, thus making an audible noise. get that taken care of, and it will probably go away

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
ps. you can also lift the car off the ground on whichever side you want to check. hold the wheel at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions, rock it up and down, if it moves the bearing is shot, if you do it at 3 and 9 o'clock and it moves look inside the suspension area at the tie rods, it is either the inner or outer tie rod going bad

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mike for the input. I actually pulled the hub apart and the wheel bearing was shot. Had a new ones pressed in, and had the wheel balanced and the noise is gone. YAY YAY YAY

Now we can finally enjoy the car safely.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
if one side was shot. be safe and change the other side too. remember they were both installed originally at the same time on the same assembly line. and they were both driven harshly by the same driver on the same bumps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts