Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this normal....my car seems to make this loud grinding sound ....i think it's from the brakes because right before i heard the noise i had to break pretty hard because so one almost cut me off while i was going pretty fast

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
Normal, no. Grinding indactes excessive wear. Check your rotors for smoothness. If its not smooth to the touch all the way across, it may be time for soome brakes. Also is there a high pitched squeal when the pedal is depressed?

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
check the rotors because my mom had the same problem on her beemer and the brake was cutting grooves into the disc.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
also check the dustshield behind the rotors, it may be bent towards the rotors... had a grinding noise a few weeks back every time i would turn the wheel the slightest bit and then grew to even when i was driving straight.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I agree with whitetezza also. You might want to run your fingernail against the rotor to see if you can feel any grooves in the rotor... Either that or you were hearing your ABS? That's a weird sound also...Let us know...

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pope said:
I agree with whitetezza also. You might want to run your fingernail against the rotor to see if you can feel any grooves in the rotor... Either that or you were hearing your ABS? That's a weird sound also...Let us know...

i touched the rotors with my fingernails nothing strange

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
irv_usc said:
i would think that perhaps it is your low pad warning indicator scraping against the rotor

you think? maybe it could be but it doesn't do it all the time just once and awhile but i have experienced my braking power down a bit :( how long do pads usually last? i have 25,000 miles...i guess it's depends on how i brake?

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
check wheel bearings....

usually the wheel feels Loose or rocks on the spindle if they are bad.. .but i have seen them go bad & only show a tiny bit of play but the beearing gets dry & you feel. hear a bit of a grinding noise when you turn the car on a smooth surface at low speeds like pulling into a parking space...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts