Lexus IS Forum banner

Greddy SP2 - Review...Video clip now up!

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  scottycameron 
#1 · (Edited)
I received my SP2 a couple of weeks ago from a .NET member (thanks KT-Lex!) and had it put on a couple of days afterward. Here's a run-down of what I think about it. :)

Sound - I love the sound of this exhaust. It is almost dead silent at idle. The sound seems to get better almost every day since it's still breaking in too. At around 2 or 3K RPMs, it's pretty deep, almost to the degree of the HKS Hiper I had, but with less loudness. At cruising speeds, there is a little bit of a drone, but it's really nothing that significant. At WOT, the exhaust gets a slight airy/raspy tone to it, which might bother some people, but for some reason, I like it.

Power - I honestly could not feel any difference when I put the exhuast on. I did go from having a Hiper to having this exhaust, so that might have skewed things a little bit, however.

Appearance/Fitment - This is where I have a slight gripe about this exhaust. As you will see in the pics, it does stick out a little bit more than other aftermarket exhausts. Also, it is not centered in the exhaust cutout of the bumper. It could also stand to be raised up a little since it hangs low. However, the polished stainless steel finish does look awesome.

All in all, I think it's a great exhaust for someone who is looking for something a little bit more quiet but still wants to hear what's goin on. I'm going to take my car to the shop to see what can be done about the fitment, but other than that, I love this exhaust and will probably be keeping it for a long time. :)

Pics:

See less See more
#4 ·
For the off center problem, got to any muffler shop.

Heat up the rear pipe at the first 90 degree bend while the have a pry bar against the muffler. As the metal heats up, the guy with the pry bar will 'feel' the metal become plyable and the muffler will move. I had to do the same thing with my OE exhaust. I think it was backed into a curb before I bought the car, and it got bent. 5 minutes under the torches, and all is good.

If this explanation doesn't make sense to you - just take it to a muffler shop. They will know what to do.

#5 ·
Wookie said:
For the off center problem, got to any muffler shop.

Heat up the rear pipe at the first 90 degree bend while the have a pry bar against the muffler. As the metal heats up, the guy with the pry bar will 'feel' the metal become plyable and the muffler will move. I had to do the same thing with my OE exhaust. I think it was backed into a curb before I bought the car, and it got bent. 5 minutes under the torches, and all is good.

If this explanation doesn't make sense to you - just take it to a muffler shop. They will know what to do.
Thanks for the explanation. I was going to take it to a muffler shop, but the thing is, I just got the whole car detailed yesterday and I don't really want anyone who has dirty clothes, shoes, or hands sitting in it. I know that they sometimes use those paper mat things, but those don't always keep everything off of the interior. I'm pretty sure that they won't let customers drive their own cars onto the lift either. Maybe I'm being too paranoid, but after I pay for my car to be detailed, I really want it to stay as clean as possible. :blush:

#9 ·
Sounds similar to the Apexi WS2 exhaust??..

#10 · (Edited)
Before going to an exhaust shop, try using some 3" hose clamps around the stock rubber hangars on the rear section of the exhaust....I did this with my L-Sportline and have a nice tight centered look.

Admittedly mine wasn't off as much as yours but I think it is worth a try for a few dollars....like you I always have concerns when taking by car to any shop which is why I do everything I possibly can myself.

Pictures is a 3.5" clamp which is a tad too big hence 2.5-3.0" would be perfect. The clamps allow for a fine control of centering and height adjustment.

Nice exhaust btw. Enjoy!

Reactions: T Man
#11 · (Edited)
Thanks for the idea CEB! I just ran out to Home Depot and got two 3" hose clamps. As you can see, it straightened it up fairly well enough to where it doesn't bother me much anymore. Can I clip off most of the excess clamp so it doesn't rattle around on the exhaust? Also, now that I've tightened up the rubber hangers, the exhaust moves around less freely. I assume that that's nothing to worry about?

Pics:

I will get a video clip soon!

#12 · (Edited)
That looks very very respectable now. It's definitely close enough so it doesn't draw any unwanted attention to it. :bigSmile:

Indeed go right ahead and clip the excess....I can see that perhaps if one clamp were a little smaller that might have helped even more since they looked maxed out.

As far as the extra stiffness goes I have had no problems since I think it was April that I put my exhaust on. There is still plenty of rubber cushioning and allowing movement. On a previous car, in order to clear my aftermarket rear sway, I actually had to weld a tab from the pipe to the frame with a rubber bushing to allow for some movement and although this made the exhaust pretty stiff, I never had any problems in the 4 years I had it like that.

A couple of cars are doing this as well and I actually did this myself to one car with an L-Tuned exhaust and there have been no issues.

Thanks for the +REP. :bigSmile:

#20 ·
CEB said:
Before going to an exhaust shop, try using some 3" hose clamps around the stock rubber hangars on the rear section of the exhaust....I did this with my L-Sportline and have a nice tight centered look.

Admittedly mine wasn't off as much as yours but I think it is worth a try for a few dollars....like you I always have concerns when taking by car to any shop which is why I do everything I possibly can myself.

Pictures is a 3.5" clamp which is a tad too big hence 2.5-3.0" would be perfect. The clamps allow for a fine control of centering and height adjustment.

Nice exhaust btw. Enjoy!
Awesome fix, off to teh hardware store.

You must show some love to other members before giving it to CEB again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.