Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a set of used eibach pro kit sways, but the seller had already used all the grease. i was hoping to install these myself and so the only thing that i need is the grease. can i get this at pep boys or something? any brands that i should look for?

thanks in advance!
chris

·
Registered
946 Posts
Just get a brand name bearing grease for marine applications. They usually sell it for boat trailer wheel bearings. It won't come off as quick if it gets wet.

·
Premium Member
14,416 Posts
both options will work, Marine is the best though!

David

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
IIRC, Steve from Luxury Motorworks told Wilz that the marine grease was causing noises and that he didn't recommend it. I don't remember 100% though... somebody correct me if I'm wrong. It was at the LMW meet last month

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ive asked a mechanics instructor about greasing up the bushing and he told me that when you are going with aftermarket sways, they come with harder bushings and that you dont really need any kind of grease on them. Just leave them the way they are. Mine had a bit on them and I didnt bother puting anything else on. I am not too sure if they are OK the way they are right now but I cant really tell that there is anything wrong with them, because I woudnt really know how to. Any opinions ?

PS: If you do lube them, how often would you consider dont it ?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
be_is300 said:
Ive asked a mechanics instructor about greasing up the bushing and he told me that when you are going with aftermarket sways, they come with harder bushings and that you dont really need any kind of grease on them. Just leave them the way they are. Mine had a bit on them and I didnt bother puting anything else on. I am not too sure if they are OK the way they are right now but I cant really tell that there is anything wrong with them, because I woudnt really know how to. Any opinions ?

PS: If you do lube them, how often would you consider dont it ?
i would definitely grease them, because the sways come with grease when you buy them new. this goes for the hotchkis sways as well. i bought mine used and so the seller had already used his up. i think that they need to be checked every 12k miles or so and that it may be part of your service schedule if you go to a lexus dealer. does this sound right to anyone else?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I used blue marine grease on my stock sways.

I notice that most of the aftermarket sways come with grease and have grease fittings, so they must expect them to need greasing. I've also seen some posts that say the fittings don't really get the grease all over the bushings, so they take them off anyway for a complete lube.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts