Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there are any buyers out there who have this option? Or who have seen them, either in person or somewhere on the web. I'm very tempted to just drop the $320 on them (invoice) when I (employee) order my car to see what they look like. I know they're not being made available out west, so I can't go out to the dealer to see them up close.

Any foreseeable drawbacks to them? Maybe they'll be weaker? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
i wanted the graphite rims but since we couldnt get them here on the west coast
i got my fully loaded SBM with the stock 17s
but we went to the dealer to visit today and they have this yellow IS that they just had installed a carbon fiber kit on and the sales manager wants to powder coat the spokes on the rims to match the yellow and that gave me an idea, im going to see how much it will be and how it would look like to powdercoat my stock 17s on the spokes and the outer rim to match the spectra blue mica
on my car. should be cheaper than new rims and better than adding heavy chromes on and messing up the mileage and crap.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Us west coast people should start to see a few cars with Graphite wheels next month.

I have seen a few pictures of them, but I am concerned - the first pictures I saw showed them as looking pretty dark (what I want), but more recent pictures seem to make them loook alot like the stock wheel (light) but with a smooth finish.

I am guessing that maybe they are very reflective so that they look dark when in the shade, but reflect strong white light when the sun is shining on them.

·
13,978 Posts
i'm just wondering why people want these graphite alloy wheels so bad? what's soooo special about them? when i saw the graphite rims that they had on some of the IS's at the performance tour i could barely tell the difference! is it really worth it to spend more money on the graphite rims?

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I guess it's because you don't see graphite finished rims all that often, especially stock rims. The only ones I know of are on yellow ITR's and the current M5's (and the upcoming M3's). IMO, chrome is too gaudy on most cars, though, so I'm kinda glad that Lexus is offering graphite-finished wheels (except that they are a bit expensive).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I saw them on a graphite gray IS in Michigan (sticker confirmed that they were the graphite wheels). They do look almost identical to the standard 17" rims, but they are just a bit shinier. When I first saw pictures of them, they looked dark to me, but in person, they didn't look dark at all. I do prefer them to the standard 17" rims, however, because they have just a bit of shine to them without being a full chrome. It was an overcast day (pretty much no sun at all) when I saw them, but I could still see a clear difference between them and the standard rims. They looked very sharp with the graphite gray paint. If I end up going with an IS (still debating between this and a 3.2TL), I would definitely get these rims.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had the opportunity to see both wheels side-by-side at a dealership's prep area. I tell you I had to look at each a couple of times to REALLY see the difference. Some of you out there with a sharper eye for this sort of stuff may notice a big diff, but not me. They are the exact same wheels, just looks a bit shinnier is all. I'd rather spend more cash and get some of the totally different wheels sets they had available (some of them were really sweet).

Rich

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
I finally got the see the graphite wheels the Peformance Tour. They are NICE. TEG, you have nothing to worry about, if I could have gotten them on my car I would have.

They are slightly darker and slightly shinier than the stock wheels. They look nothing like the dark wheels we saw on those Yellow IS pictures. The difference between them and the stock 17s is subtle, but they look quite awesome.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue

·
Registered
323 Posts
as nice as the stock rims are, i would rather get a nice set of aftermarket rims, preferably racing hart c5's. i think these in an 18" size combined with some springs would look kick ass on the IS. but then again everyone has their own opinions on their cars.

mike

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
The Graphite Polished wheels are the same 17 inch rims finished with graphite. Why do you think this would affect performance? It merely makes them look more attractive. Not quite chrome, but better. Instead of shining like chrome, the rims glow. I personally liked them a lot when I saw them at the lexus test drive event. Unfortunately most NJ dealers are not ordering them. I got the regular 17" rims, and they kick ass. Just wish I had the graphite polished ones.
Oh well, perhaps on my next IS.
Otherwise the car is awesome. I replaced my 1997 328i with the IS300, and so far it's been worth every bit of it. I love the car...the handling, the performance, the sound system and amenities are all wonderful. And almost 2000 miles on the car and not a single problem.
I'd recommend this car to anyone.
Black/Ivory
NJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts