Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just saw a black is300 (maybe the same yahoo that was trying to get ahead of me on the way to the gym this past week) pick a fight with an SVT cobra mustang. dumb. the is3 got whipped. they raced from a dead stop.

can't be gunning for musclecars in a sport-luxury sedan. don't work.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was sitting in my car behind the is3 when i noticed the is revving its engine and lurching forward. the cobra revved back and i knew it was gonna be ugly.

it was

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If I were the guy in the Cobra, I would just sit there and not rev the engine at all, but when green light hits, I just 'put the pedal to the metal'.....I think that'll be more fun!!!!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
f*ck that.. luxury or no luxury... I'm taking the mustang on just like a CL!!!! I hate mustangs...!! I would take one with a civic if i had to.

·
Registered
112 Posts
LOL, some ppl just never learned from it....

One of my story, no flame please....

I was cruising on highway(inner lane) at roughly 50mph when a IS(outter lane) pulls next to me. It's driven by a young Chinese male, roughly at age of 20 +/- 2. As he was side by side with me, he look over and signal me for race. I was like "Oh, my, you are not serious are you??", but he step on it a bit, and slow down to get side by side with me again. This time, there was a Tercel in front of him, on outter lane. So, he accelerated and try to cut-in in front of me. That's when I step on the gas all the way, and blast pass him and left him in dust(well, should I say water as it was raining)before he had a chance to read my rear badge..."400SE".

IS300 is a very capable car IMO, and may as well be the best value in its class, but mid-range acceleration just ain't Japanese cars' cup of tea....he shouldn't have tried....

P.S. Well, I am sure he were not as well educated as ppl on this board as he NEVER signals when change lane, and cut through traffics recklessly. Wonder how he got his license....

Andy Kuo

------------------
Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

http://akry.homestead.com

[This message has been edited by AKRY (edited September 30, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I get my kicks watching SUV's back off my tail when I'm driving on the Pasadena Freeway in my MkI MR2.

High center of gravity + sucky SUV tires + SUV suspension + twisties + high speed = danger

·
Registered
112 Posts
You forgot the new rules of dangerous SUV.....

Old Fomula = High center of gravity + sucky SUV tires + SUV suspension + twisties + high speed = danger

New Fomula = High center of gravity + Firestone Tires + SUV suspension + twisties + high speed = Dangerous Stunt

Andy Kuo

------------------
Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

·
Registered
591 Posts
Originally posted by geoff:
i just saw a black is300 (maybe the same yahoo that was trying to get ahead of me on the way to the gym this past week) pick a fight with an SVT cobra mustang. dumb. the is3 got whipped. they raced from a dead stop.

can't be gunning for musclecars in a sport-luxury sedan. don't work.
Nice little story geoff.
But (IMO) made-up... Nice try.....

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by smra:
Nice little story geoff.
But (IMO) made-up... Nice try.....

SMRA, I second that. Could have substituted any car in that story: "A 3-series, a CL, an Echo..."

------------------
cardinal
'01 Silver/Black
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17"

·
Registered
626 Posts
I am with ya too. Bunch of BS. I am tired of the race BS. Anything to make the IS look bad. Bottom line it is all jealousy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
AKRY, you should win the pulitzer prize for fiction. I've heard this story a million times before - same situation but different cars. By the way, didn't they stop making 400SEs back in the early 1990s? I don't know what they do up in Canada, but where I live, the only people who drive around in old Benzes are ponytailed mafia-wannabe posers and blue-haired old ladies.

Oh, and you claim that Japanese cars have no mid-range power? Ever drive a GS400 or Maxima?

Originally posted by AKRY:
LOL, some ppl just never learned from it....

One of my story, no flame please....

I was cruising on highway(inner lane) at roughly 50mph when a IS(outter lane) pulls next to me. It's driven by a young Chinese male, roughly at age of 20 +/- 2. As he was side by side with me, he look over and signal me for race. I was like "Oh, my, you are not serious are you??", but he step on it a bit, and slow down to get side by side with me again. This time, there was a Tercel in front of him, on outter lane. So, he accelerated and try to cut-in in front of me. That's when I step on the gas all the way, and blast pass him and left him in dust(well, should I say water as it was raining)before he had a chance to read my rear badge..."400SE".

IS300 is a very capable car IMO, and may as well be the best value in its class, but mid-range acceleration just ain't Japanese cars' cup of tea....he shouldn't have tried....

P.S. Well, I am sure he were not as well educated as ppl on this board as he NEVER signals when change lane, and cut through traffics recklessly. Wonder how he got his license....

Andy Kuo

[This message has been edited by viggen (edited September 30, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I'll add 2G Eclipse turbo to that. This car has no low end power at all (since it is turbo), but once you are between 3000 rpm and 6000 rpm, there are just alot of power for you to use. Beyond 6000, then you start to feel the car losing acceleration.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Viggen,

400SE is a W140 S-Class, not W126, which production ends in 1991. W140s are fron 1992 - 1999.

Cars not available in North America doesn't mean they are NOT in production. All S-Class models(regardless yr/model) are available in Long and Short Wheel Base.

How many cars you know accelerates from 50mph-100mph in 4 sec?? My "OLD"(to you anyway)400SE does 4 sec - 4.3 sec.

Andy Kuo

------------------
Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Are you sure about that number? I don't think even the E55 or the Modena can do that. Not that I am doubting you, but those numbers just kind of hard to believe.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Originally posted by AKRY:
Viggen,

400SE is a W140 S-Class, not W126, which production ends in 1991. W140s are fron 1992 - 1999.

Cars not available in North America doesn't mean they are NOT in production. All S-Class models(regardless yr/model) are available in Long and Short Wheel Base.

How many cars you know accelerates from 50mph-100mph in 4 sec?? My "OLD"(to you anyway)400SE does 4 sec - 4.3 sec.

Andy Kuo

According to the May 1999 issue of Car and Driver, the Mercedes S500 will go from 50mph to 70mph in 4.1 seconds. So how the heck can your 400SE go from 50mph to 100mph in only 4 seconds?

[This message has been edited by viggen (edited September 30, 2000).]

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I'm with you ISFan, that's just a bunch of bull. And being a proud IS owner, and having the pleasure to drive it every day, I can tell that it does have sufficient mid range grunt. I have no problem keeping up with V8 bimmers and lincolns on the highway. Trust me, I drive every day to work...3 digit speed is not rare either on the turnpike.
The 400SE, undoubtedly a great car and a Mercedes, is not quite a sports sedan. It's too big and bulky, and there's no way it'll do 50-100 in 4 secs. So quit makin up this stories man, and get real.
As far as mid range grunt, you're driving a V8 = more torque!!
Nevertheless, due to the IS's weight advantage over your bigger car, I don't see why I'd have trouble keeping up.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
hasanazhar...you can't keep up with a v8 bimmer, okay? its not gonna happen. if he's trying to race with you, just get ready to have your azz handed to you....you have no idea how much power those v8s have. the smallest v8 i'm aware of in bmw is a 540, and that thing is as fast as an m3 in the 0-60 and has WAY MORE POWER when you get to higher speeds....define "keep up"

·
Registered
262 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:
hasanazhar...you can't keep up with a v8 bimmer, okay? its not gonna happen. if he's trying to race with you, just get ready to have your azz handed to you....you have no idea how much power those v8s have. the smallest v8 i'm aware of in bmw is a 540, and that thing is as fast as an m3 in the 0-60 and has WAY MORE POWER when you get to higher speeds....define "keep up"
I bet he can keep up with an X5 4.4 - and that's a V8.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
15 Participants
KJ
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing