Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I never thought about the car audio part of my car, nor am I going to be modding anytime this year, but I started to think what would I want in my car?

I like the stock deck, but on car rides my son likes a dvd player going.

So I started thinking

keep the stock deck, why because i like how it looks and functions.

adding the stock nav components, but using the DIY to change it to a 7 inch screen.

Could I toss a dvd player in the glove box, and wire it up that way and still have the sound go through the stock speakers?

Now for the pass side, I wanted to fab up a folding mount out of the glove box to house a bigger screen, open the glove box and pull the screen out and it would sit on its own mount inside the glove box. Glove box would have to stay open. How would this route into the dvd player, i assume just with some simple wiring?

I want to do the same in the rear for my kid, would be just like the glove box, but I would have it mount inside the back of the seat storage. He could just pull it straight up.

So what would be needed?

I can do all the fab work and wiring, just need to know what would be needed.

So far I look at it like this
Stock deck
OEM parts for nav area
7 inch screen for nav
Not sure on screen size for the glove box
DVD player for the glove box. I heard panasonic makes a 6disc changer
Grom audio for the IPOD
Not sure on screen size for the rear screen
MTX thunder link for the trunk, just to add some bass for movies.

Im not trying to build a bass or sound system, but more of a media system, the only other option I would like to have is some RCA jacks for watching media from a camcorder. I would add these under the trac button area. Id like all of the screens to show the camcorder images.

Ok experts, how can I do this? Now granted Im trying to get debt free before I buy anything, so maybe 8 months from now would be the plan.

I can do all the wiring, fab work on trays and install, just really have no clue on what would be needed to make all this work with the stock wiring and deck.

thanks
D

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
OW!!! I have a headache now...Thanks :lol:

Good luck on your setup.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its actully pretty simple I think. Just need to know how to route all of this. Id also not use a LLC but i would use a modded stock amp.

D

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cause this is what I have been thinking about, my wife would be able to watch also, or if she is driving I could watch.

D

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I think headrest tv's are ****. ALthough I don't have kids and don't care about my friends very much

·
Registered
75 Posts
cause this is what I have been thinking about, my wife would be able to watch also, or if she is driving I could watch.

D
Headache wise and money wise you would probably be much better off to get a Pioneer D3 and a headrest monitor. If you take that approach you won't need to buy a dvd player, GROM adapter, or monitor for your glove box. You also really wouldn't need to fab anything either.

If you decide to go the other way make sure to post pics and good luck!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
it can be done. it'll be a lot of work. you'll have to use an aux-in to have the audio run from your DVD player to stock HU. then use the regular video output of the DVD player to go to each of your monitors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
you could also get the visor that comes with a screen installed for the passenger. then they dont have to pull it out of the glove box and leave it open since this would be uncomfortable for them in such a small car. they just flip the screen down.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya im not sure, the only reason I want to do something with labor is to try something new... I love to cut, fab, powdercoat and install things.

D

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
if you're itching for a project then i say do it. the most work will be done in fab'ing the mounts for the various monitors. the electrical part is easy.

if your main goal is to have a DVD player and various monitors then you'll save a ton of time by just buying a new HU and additional monitors. but then it'll cost a lot more $$$$

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
main goal

keep the stock deck, and add on to it.

D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts