Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I ended up getting my Tokico Illuminas (5-way adjustable shocks) and Eibach Pro-Kit springs installed at Exact Motorsports in Milpitas. Here's an update on my experience...

First let me begin by mentioning John and Sandy at Exact Motorsports are two of the nicest, honest and most sincere people I've had the pleasure of doing business with. Very professional and they are also very knowledgeable. I hope to see them again this Sunday at the meet in Santa Clara. I ended up going with them on the recommendation of some members of both .Net and Club Lexus. Monday I tried calling Bozz several times and couldn't get through to them (or even leave a voicemail b/c it was full) and also Bruce Nomura (really cool guy btw) but he wasn't able to get back to me until today b/c he's been so booked up. So I went with Exact.

After the install there, the guy assisting with the install (Steve) comes back after test driving my car to see all was ok and tells me I'm all set. I get in and notice the dreaded "auto-level headlight indicator" light was on in the dash!!! I'm puzzled b/c it's supposedly only like a 1" drop!?! So I tell John and he proceeds to adjust the settings on each side but the indicator light refuses to turn off. He then thinks it may need to be reset with the computer and so he brings his computer/calibration device but it won't interface with the settings. So he advised me to take it to Lexus and they should be able to take care of it.

So, I wanted to get this done all in the same day rather than drag it out...I headed over to Magnussen Lexus and got the night crew there in the Service Dept. I actually called first and got one of the advisors who left just before I got there...I explained the issue to him and told him we were assuming it was a quick hook up to one of their Tech's computers and it could be recalibrated (since we sort of leveled them out at Exact earlier). He said, "sure, just bring it in, but we're busy until around 7pm". He didn't mention anything about cost and we left the discussion with him agreeing that "yes, it should be pretty quick."

Well, I grabbed some dinner before driving in to the dealership and then got there a little before 7. I was eventually seen by the Night Service Manager (they're open until midnight) and he says he's familiar with the problem. He asked me "did Ron tell you there'd be a cost for this?" I told him he did not. The manager explained it would cost $115 and it would take a little bit of time b/c the tech called it an exercise in "trial and error" to adjust it just right so the sensor won't be triggered. I was :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: I eventually pick my jaw up off the floor and agree to let them do it after being shocked that such an apparently "minor" thing could cost over $100 to resolve.

So, after 2+ hours of waiting, the service manager tells me it's ready, that they guarantee the light won't come on again now that it's properly recalibrated, and that Exact put some type of rod or rear control arm on backwards/upside down when they reconnected everything, which caused the sensor to trip. :pissed:

I guess I'll just have to take this as a lesson learned. At least everything seems to be fine now. I just need to get it aligned in a couple of weeks after it all settles.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
NEXT TIME CALL ME!!!!!! IM LOCAL !!!! 10 min from MAGNUSSENS

PS! Im the one who showed them how to fix that problem.

David

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Yeah, you just have to reset the HID level control rod in the left rear side of the suspension. There's a DIY here on that.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is300soon said:
NEXT TIME CALL ME!!!!!! IM LOCAL !!!! 10 min from MAGNUSSENS

PS! Im the one who showed them how to fix that problem.

David
Thanks David. I wish I had known. Will definitely check with you next time.

-Jeff

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bartkat said:
Yeah, you just have to reset the HID level control rod in the left rear side of the suspension. There's a DIY here on that.
I remember seeing something here on that but since I was in the middle of everything today, I just wanted it fixed right away. I went to Lexus thinking it was an easy fix they could do no problem (which it really is), but instead I got zinged for $115 while they did some "trial and error" adjusting it and then reset the rod in the rear.

I sort of feel like Exact should've known this issue if they've installed on other IS's before (especially being recommended by Club Lexus). Oh well...you learn something new every day. :-?

That $115 could've went to ALOT of other things.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
wow.... can't believe Lexus charged you for that..... it would have been free up here..... humm..... sorry to hear that man.... $115 :pissed:

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
yep, thre's a sticky on the SDR forum telling you how to fix it i believe. in that same thread it actually give you instructions on how to change spring/shock without affecting the leveler in the first place.

sorry to hear about your experience. however in the future i would recomend posting your plans on here for advice. those who are not asses will actually give you some pointers to keep from going awry.

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
oops, sorry. yeah most shops nkow what they are doing. but for a little querk like we ahve for autolevel headlights most shops who dont know specifically about it will forget about it and mess it up. sorry to hear about your problem, hope the sticky helps to fix it.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I have no idea wtf people are doing to get that light going off. I've done about 5 sets of springs without a problem.

That sucks what u had to go through but it's good that you got it fixed and learned something from this whole situation. Hope you enjoy your new suspension!

·
Registered
941 Posts
lilaznboi said:
I have no idea wtf people are doing to get that light going off. I've done about 5 sets of springs without a problem.

That sucks what u had to go through but it's good that you got it fixed and learned something from this whole situation. Hope you enjoy your new suspension!
cause they unscrewed it from the wrong place, you can still unscrew it from the other side. but NOT from the adjustable slider, that's what messes up the setting...

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:

Well, here's the latest. Good news...brought it back to Exact to show them where the issue was and they are now 200% precise for future work. In addition, to make up for the inconvenience and as a special accomodation, Steve and John took care of my sways install and did an excellent job (I know the sways are easy enough, but I don't have the space or nerve to attempt it).

In any case, I just wanted to report in that things are on the level and I would recommend Exact Motorsports to EVERYBODY in the bay area for their Lexus (or anything else, for that matter). Above all, John and Steve are highly-skilled and take pride in the work they do. Along with Sandy (who works the front counter), they are very cool people to talk to or just visit. These are the type of people you can feel comfortable going to for any type of work because they want you to be happy with it, and they always take an up front and honest approach. :)

-Jeff

·
Registered
696 Posts
Glad everything turned out for the better...

sOlo
TEAM HOKORI

1 - 14 of 14 Posts