Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
I've got a bit of a potential problem with caliper paint, and thus the urgent nature.

Anyway, I painted the calipers, just finished a bit ago, they look pretty good I think, havn't unmasked them or anything yet.

But, I found out I HAVE to drive about 1 hour on the freeway tomorow morning, about 10 hours after I painted the calipers.

I used the duplicolor set, its very similiar to the G2 set, the paint does not have an activator that needs to be mixed though, clean, and brush on paint. The time says the same that the G2 set does,
24 hours, has anyone done this in less? do you think it'll work? If I just go very easy on my breaks do you think I'll be ok?

Thanks guys

--------------------------------------------------------
edited to change the title so you guys dont look at it thinking its important

·
Registered
309 Posts
...painted mine using dupli-color and had to use/drive my car even before ten hours of drying (I also clear-coated and added decals) and I my calipers show no ill effects from it.....

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
I drove on mine like five hours after painting them, it was urgent...we were out of beer :) and no problem with them at all

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Or you can rent a car for $25 :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm 1 bad 3 good, hope I'll be ok I guess :\

which paint did you guys use, was it a brush on paint similiar or the G2, or was it spray?

And the guy that used the duplicolor is this the duplicolor I used with a brush and a kit type thing, or the older style that had a spray can?

Also anyone else that also has input would be good :)

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
ive never painted my IS's calipers... but i painted the calipers on my SUV... i let 'em sit for two days before driving, so of course there wasnt a problem.

but really, even if you do have some chipping, etc., cant you just repaint them later? it really isnt all that hard to do.

plus, if you gotta drive you gotta drive. what good is worrying about it?

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
I'm assuming you have to go to work?

Call in sick. That's what I would do.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Si-2-IS said:
...painted mine using dupli-color and had to use/drive my car even before ten hours of drying (I also clear-coated and added decals) and I my calipers show no ill effects from it.....

I use the same thing. Drove my car an hour or think two after.
No problem what so ever. Still looks good. no ill effects tooo

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys for the fast response, I'll edit and change the title so it doesn't attract more attention.

The reason I need to go is my roomate and I went back to our home town (we're both college students, and thus have no parking in front of our house, so no room to do any kind of modifications) and his car got fairly messed up in a fender bender, and has surgery tomorow, an hour away, and nobody to drive him but me. Wish I could call in sick to that one lol.

And the reason why I titled it like this is usually if I start a thread if it is asking for help with a problem I've never gotten a response in less than about 12 hours, certainly not the 3 or 4 I needed to put my mind at ease (since I wont be able to fix anything bad that happens for atleast 3+ weeks, nowhere to work on the car) and really didn't want to drive around with somethin that looked like a civic :pissed:
Oh yeah, and I'm a couple months from being 21, so no hope to find a rental car either but thanks for the advice :)

Anyways thanks again for the help guys and I'll change that thread title now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts