Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna get a Tanabe Ultra Spec or Apexi GT exhaust. Question is, do either have resonators? I would prefer one without one. I have seen pictures of other Tanabe systems and they all seem to have resonators. Anyone know for sure?

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
you do understand that the resonator is pretty much an extra muffler on the pipe, yes? And that if you take it off, you might as well just run straight pipes with the wonderful noise coming out the back?

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts
Seven said:
you do understand that the resonator is pretty much an extra muffler on the pipe, yes? And that if you take it off, you might as well just run straight pipes with the wonderful noise coming out the back?
Maybe it's a track car??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I absolutley understand. But, I do not want the extra restriction to hinder performance. I also do not have a problem with a loud car. In fact, I like it. And I will drive it on the street, smiling at the music being produced by the accelerator and my right foot.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Resinators provide a great amount of silencing with very little restriction, the reason mufflers are employed is to get rid of sounds like popping and odd noises.
To open the exhuast the best thing to do is ditch the stock muffler, headers and what not, but if a resinator is still in the mix, it shouldn't cuase much harm at all.
Take for instance what Dodge did for the SRT4 to make an open exhuast thats still legal, the SRT4 doesn't have mufflers, just resinators. Or the expesive route be like Evos, Merc and BMWs and have valving done to open the exhuast when needed.

B.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
It could come with aftermarket resonators which allows for higher flow and deeper exhaust tone. The stock one resonator is more restrictive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts