Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you might have seen this for sale in the member sales. Before I didn't have time but me and my gf broke up so I have mucho time now. :pissed:

So I decided to hook it up and see if I really do want intake or not. Once I finished... I was so happy with they way it looked and sounded that I have decided to keep it! Man it sounds so good and it is loud when you want it to be loud and quiet when you are driving steadily

I have also noticed that a lot of people are a bit scared of the whole ECU part. Well I just want to say that it is much much much easier and cheaper to solder then to use connectors. I took a picture for some solder noobs to see how the process is done.

Dont forget to make sure the negative does not touch the battery terminal or you might end up with a sort. I used a wood block.

I stripped the wire from the IS300 ECU and twisted the SRT ECU on the wire so it stays still. Then I put the Iron Flux, which is the strand of metal coming out of the clear tube, onto the twised wires and then used the Solder Iron to melt the Iron Flux onto the twisted wires.

It took me 5 minutes to solder. 10 minutes to strip the wires... that's for 8 wires
It took me 15 minutes to put clips on the wire that was cut.. that was only 3 wires.
Compare the time differences

The clips also cost me 8 dollars and the Iron Flux was only 2 dollars, I bought a little extra of both just in case. I used clips for the wire that was cut because I need to put those wires back together everytime I need to get a smog. Even though I used the connector clips my IS300 is running smoothly and I wish I didn't have to worry about smog

Reactions: stertan

·
Registered
599 Posts
nice job. + rep to you. worth it than your girl...

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
If men didn't have to worry about and spend so much time on women, we would be able to accomplish so many more things. Imagine how much more money we would have if we didnt have to spend it on women... or how many diseases we could cure, and how many discoveries and break throughs we could make that could better the world. But Nooooooo... we have to hear: What are you thinking about? What do love most about me? When I ask your opinion on something I dont want to hear what you have to say I just want you to listen.... and so forth ;-)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Remember, if it wasn't for Eve convincing Adam to eat the forbidden fruit, mankind would still be living in paradise. =P

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
The SRT intake may sound evil... but it's some women who actually ARE evil. lol

Anyways... this picture above just made me realize how much bigger the SRT intake tube is in comparison to the inlet to the throttle body. Does it matter how big the air intake tube is if the throttle body and other components of the air intake are much smaller?

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
The SRT intake may sound evil... but it's some women who actually ARE evil. lol

Anyways... this picture above just made me realize how much bigger the SRT intake tube is in comparison to the inlet to the throttle body. Does it matter how big the air intake tube is if the throttle body and other components of the air intake are much smaller?
Yes.
Thats why SRT comes with an R-ECU piggyback tunes the air/fuel maps. Non user friendly(preset from SRT).
In case you find an SRT intake without an R-ECU. E-manage or SAFC(ECU piggyback) is another route. They also tune the air/fuel maps. User friendly(manual adjustment).

In other words, dont buy a bigger intake without having one of these items with it. You will throw a CEL. ;)

·
Registered
346 Posts
If men didn't have to worry about and spend so much time on women, we would be able to accomplish so many more things. Imagine how much more money we would have if we didnt have to spend it on women... or how many diseases we could cure, and how many discoveries and break throughs we could make that could better the world. But Nooooooo... we have to hear: What are you thinking about? What do love most about me? When I ask your opinion on something I dont want to hear what you have to say I just want you to listen.... and so forth ;-)
OMG, gooooood f***ing s*** mann. Gosh darn you ripped it on this, this is quite true. I'm accomplishing more stuff than ever before and dannng man this is what differs me from other people. Haha man, nice one. I'll give you some +rep for this. Enjoy.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey lyk, the SRT intake is a good choice. I am not big on modding cars but the first is300 I drove was a 2002 MSM and had an SRT air intake in it. It does sound pretty wicked, good small HP boost, i liked the sound (Use to dislike loud sounds like this but it sounded well with the is300). Great choice, hope you have fun. Now that your girlfriend is out of the way (No disrespect to you by any means), you can work on your girlfriend you got back with again, ms. is300. Enjoy.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the stock intake on after I soldered the r-ecu so I could check it before I wasted time putting the SRT intake on and finding out that the r-ecu didn't work. The car actually had a hard time staying on because it wasn't getting enough air, then I put the SRT intake on and it ran smoothly.

If men didn't have to worry about and spend so much time on women, we would be able to accomplish so many more things. Imagine how much more money we would have if we didnt have to spend it on women...
I haven't used money since me and my gf broke up... my last paycheck is still in my wallet and the next one is on its way. I also have more then 100 cash sitting in my wallet.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey lyk, the SRT intake is a good choice. I am not big on modding cars but the first is300 I drove was a 2002 MSM and had an SRT air intake in it. It does sound pretty wicked, good small HP boost, i liked the sound (Use to dislike loud sounds like this but it sounded well with the is300). Great choice, hope you have fun. Now that your girlfriend is out of the way (No disrespect to you by any means), you can work on your girlfriend you got back with again, ms. is300. Enjoy.
LMAO I just went to a party in los gatos... it was lame cause I didn't want to drink and drive with my new sexy SRT intake in there without making sure it worked fully.
Man I had a lame 5 hrs at that party... On the way home I went the wrong way and I drove up the mountain and up there I could play with my car and it really made my day. I really like the sound because I know it's coming from my engine and not the ass of the car, so it makes the engine seem beefier. Right now I want to go drive around but man.. it would so much better if my car was stick.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I thought about this the first time I saw an SRT intake as well. The pipes should only flow as fast as the smallest cross-section allows (the throttle body). But, maybe having vacuum in a larger volume helps overcome the relatively short length of choke at the throttle body and allows better air flow. Apparently it does make a difference though, as stated above by 4drIS who used the stock and SRT intakes with the R-ECU attached.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am actually thinking about getting a bigger throttlebody. Was is the LS430 or something that worked? I forget, but i want to make sure everything will be cool if i am going to do it. My car deserves to have a bigger throat and i am hoping that it will give my intake a deeper sound

1 - 13 of 13 Posts