Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 2002 IS on Friday from Ray Catena Lexus as part of the NJ group buy! I already have 1k+ miles on the car and have just begun to open it up. It's a blast!! I don't get the "thud" that some other 02 5spd owners mentioned. Shift action is super smooth and the clutch is VERY forgiving. It's definitely much more fun to drive than the E-shift.

I'll post pics soon!

(Yeah - I know... I need to update my sig...)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My package was a 5spd, NAV, LSD, Rear Spoiler, Htd Sts, Escaine, whl lcks, crg net, etc - MSRP $36,082. Purchase price before tax/lic $33,750.

I was intent on getting mil. silver... but "absolutely red" just spoke to me! I've seen pics of the red IS before, but seeing the color in person is a much different experience.

I'll post pics a bit later tonight!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Spoiler - yeah, it took a bit of effort to negotiate that price. It certainly helped that I did this within the context of a "group buy". But, I think the key is to make multiple visits to the dealership AND other dealerships. Never buy on the spot or feel that you need to because a certain "deal" might not be there tommorrow.

The prices will certainly come down. I still suggest to those who *can* wait to definitely do so.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know what you mean...I went with a friend of mine to check out the IBP in person. While I was drooling over it I remembered the salesman mentioning they had a red one too. I wanted to see it 'cause I really hated the '01 red and was wondering if they improved.

Then I saw it in teh distance and almost broke into a run. I think the only thing that will stop me from getting Absolutely Red is that...well...I drive pretty damn fast usually and dont need any assistance in getting my first ticket ever...heh. Maybe the blue will be more "lo pro".

But definately...impressive color.

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: MrCynical ]

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Morph.. you got a GREAT deal!! I paid sticker for mine in July 2000
I wish I had the will power to wait. Congrats. I hope you can make it to some of the meets we attend in CT before the weather gets cold!

Once again... Im glad you got a great deal!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Devius - I think the NAV is worth the extra money... unless of course the car is a stretch to begin with (they aren't discounting as much on nav equipped cars.) There are aftermarket nav systems for roughly the same price that offer additional functionality - but the factory installation is very sweet and nicely integrated. I've used the Nav system very heavily in the past week and like the control/input mechanism. After you memorize all the nav button locations, it seems very natural to look straight ahead at the display while controlling nav inputs with your right hand.

Nav operation is quite simple. Searching through the Points of Interest database is a snap. The GPS chick's voice is actually quite soothing and easy to understand. (For kicks - switch it into French mode and you really feel like you're driving something exotic! hehe)

Okay - I'm going to get pics ready for the next post.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay - here are the car pics. I kept them at hi-res (about 200k each) so it might be slow for some of you:

MorpheIS's Red 5spd

Sorry - I neglected to take any interior pics!

Awww - what the heck... I'll also post pics of another purchase of mine. I bought my car and my new bachelor's pad (industrial factory loft conversion) in the same weekend.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Congradulations MorpheIS!
I am so excited for you!
I will be going out to get my 02 IS300 within a month or so too.

I know you mentioned it above but I must confirm with you:

You have the Navgation System with Leather and the Escaine seats is that correct?

A Northern California Dealership told me that you have to get the full leather seats to be able to get the Navagation System is this correct?
I prefer the leather with escaine.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yangyang: I own a web development/internet strategies firm.

Ladyjul: Yep - I have the 5spd/nav/escaine. I've noticed that at this early stage of '02 distribution, different regions are experiencing shortages of certain package types. Out on the east coast, it's difficult getting a 5spd, full leather w/nav. The 5spd/escaine/nav package is much more predominant out here.

I've seen several postings out on the west coast that seem to indicate that the nav/lthr package is much easier to obtain. I think the chances of getting what you want will increase the longer you wait. Good luck!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Very Nice place.

Originally posted by MorpheIS:
Okay - here are the car pics. I kept them at hi-res (about 200k each) so it might be slow for some of you:

MorpheIS's Red 5spd

Sorry - I neglected to take any interior pics!

Awww - what the heck... I'll also post pics of another purchase of mine. I bought my car and my new bachelor's pad (industrial factory loft conversion) in the same weekend.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
20 Participants
Doug
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing