Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to express my excitement to the only other people in the world who would understand what I'm feeling. I picked up my 2001 IS300 MSM w/ polished wheels and sunroof about an hour ago. I got to drive it around for about half an hour before I had to come into work
, but I'll be off in a few hours to do some more driving!

Well I just wanted to say how happy I am. It feels so smooth and powerful. I am going to have fun with this baby. My previous car was a 2000 Toyota Prerunner V6 - talk about a change in vehicles.

-Brett

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Congrats! I'm sure you're lovin that feelin on your first day of ownership. I could still remember mine like it was yesterday and it's been a lil over 4 months since I've picked mine up. I took the day off that day!
Well...have fun with it, and welcome aboard!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by DrJai:
Congratulations, Brett! Enjoy, but don't have TOO much fun
Yes, I am already paranoid because I am used to a big truck so I can't tell how fast I'm going in my IS (I'm not used to having to look at the speedometer). I was just casually driving on the freeway and I looked down and I was going 90!

-Brett

p.s. DrJai: why are you selling yours?? Just curious.

·
Registered
301 Posts
GRATZ on your new IS! You'll love the car...

However I gotta tell you, the first 1000 miles is tough! You know you have to baby your engine, but sitting in the driver's seat you just want to floor it...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Congrats! It'll be a year this coming june22nd since i had my DWP. It just seems like last Thursdy that i bought my car.
I also know that feeling while your driving and you notice that your going over 80 as it just feels like its only 65. It must be because the cabin is quite and not like some other cars out there that you can hear the engine and the road noise as well.
Have fun and watch out for the Blue-n-Red/white light special too.

-jason

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
MSM,

I know how you feel. My daily driver is a 94 Toyota 4x4 pickup w/extra cab.

My wife actually gets the IS as her daily driver. Whenever I get into her car, it takes me a few seconds to make the adjustment from my truck to the IS. You don't appreciate the quickness and agility of the IS until you start driving it after driving a pickup truck for a while.

Enjoy. I usually find reasons to get into my wife's car just to drive it.

01 IJM w/LSD, 5Zigen wheels, Toyo Proxes, 5Zigen exhaust, TRD race sway bars, Blitz filter, TRD adj. shocks (pending install), springs soon.

·
8,880 Posts
Originally posted by jayrey300:
Congrats! It'll be a year this coming june22nd since i had my DWP
Wasn't IS300 released on June23? You must be one of the first IS300 owners.
I remember the date because I ordered mine on June 26.
I still remember the first day when I finally got my car (a month later).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by soulstalker:
However I gotta tell you, the first 1000 miles is tough! You know you have to baby your engine...
Can someone tell me why this is? I know this is true and will do it, but I've never known exactly why.

Thanks,

Brett

·
Registered
301 Posts
Originally posted by MSMonOrder:
Can someone tell me why this is? I know this is true and will do it, but I've never known exactly why.
To answer your question, the break-in period is required to allow the the piston rings to set properly. If the rings are not set properly, there might be a tiny loss of compression (power) as well as excessive oil consumption and other problems...

Research "engine break in" on the net for additional information.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I got it a day before the released date.
I'd like to share how i got mine. it may be a little long but i'll to make it short.

-i was in the market for a new car. i had a '99 G20t titanium and just had too many problems and with service that i was getting from inif of pleasanton,calif. and plus the value was depreciating pretty fast. my work (carlson companies,inc. or carlson marketing group) had a special discount for selected vehicle (mostly for domestic) and a few for imports. i was going to buy the 328i fullyloaded version but i felt that i was getting the idea that they think that i didnt have the money. the sales person from BMW of concord tried to get me into a used 99 328i. so then, i was tired with the crap im getting and just realized the new edition of Lexus and decided to put a deposit on one (dwp w/ piping (hee hee)). (the models i was into were: c class kompressor/ ml430/S4/tt/ volvo/ 328i/is300/gs300 and rx300)
on 6/21/00 putnam called me and said they have a dwp. theres this parents who put a deposit on the dwp as a b-gift for his son (must be spoiled) and when they got there, the son didnt like the dwp and instead got the rx300. so, gary (salesman), told me to comedown on thursday 22nd for the open house party and once i got there the whole showroom had the solar-yellow/black/sbm/silver/and white (all ises were already sold). mine was outside and the backlot were i expected it because thats the best place to get your car from because a few people would go there and walk by it and may ding it or something. it also had all the film protectant and plastic covering inside the car (just got off the truck that morning i guess). Here's one thing that i didnt like. there was this other salesman that had his handi-cap customer with a cane sit inside my is as it is labeled on the rear view mirror 'SOLD'. im not trying to bash the old guy, but he hit his cane on the door jam and bump the section were the coin holder is located. i ask my salesman 'does the othersales man know that its sold?' i found out that the other salesman had the other key. but oh well, i let it go. i was able go get rid of my g20t but was neg. i had to pay additional 1.3k for a buy out. at least they gave me alot of keychains and a discount on the nose mask and a free is300 jacket (which was stolen from my old work
)
so, i was able to drive it off the lot around 9pm i think. and while i was taking all my stuff out of my g20t (theres now), it just felt like slow motion when i was approching the car and the trunk. when gary open the drivers door, it seem like i was getting into a fightjet or somethin like it (probably a video game). all the light/indicators were all lit and then drove off. while i was on the san mateo bridge, i felt that alot of people were staring at me or my car. felt good though. while i was driving it, it was really hard while youre excited, keeping it under the speed limit (55mph). my fiancee said that i was going 80. it didnt feel like it. all i can say is that i made a wise choice versus the others i had in mind(IMO).

anyone experience something like this?
ps. i hope this was short..
-jay

·
Registered
449 Posts
Originally posted by MSMonOrder:
Just wanted to express my excitement to the only other people in the world who would understand what I'm feeling. I picked up my 2001 IS300 MSM w/ polished wheels and sunroof about an hour ago. I got to drive it around for about half an hour before I had to come into work
, but I'll be off in a few hours to do some more driving!

Well I just wanted to say how happy I am. It feels so smooth and powerful. I am going to have fun with this baby. My previous car was a 2000 Toyota Prerunner V6 - talk about a change in vehicles.

-Brett
I fell the LOVE, man, enjoy the ride and I know the feeling, it still is with me even 5 months later. I fu really want to break it in take your Wife or girlfriend, into the back seat and run wild, i fu know what i mean

·
Registered
354 Posts
Congrats! You just can't beat that "first-day-feeling."
And, luckily, with the IS, that feeling lasts a lot longer than the first day.
Enjoy! You picked the right color, too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
17 Participants
MSMonOrder
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing