Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Allllrrriiiigggghhhtttt... so I was driving home tonight from Inspar8r's place in Woodridge, IL when a cop lights me up randomly as I was just about to get on the highway and head home.

Comes up and says "your windows & headlights are illegal". I took a second to think what the hell could make him think my headlights are violating some law... so I go, "what? Headlights? Their from the factory. I'll be more then happy to show you the wiring under the hood if you'd like" He responds with a... "no their not, I've seen kids like you replace the headlights to look like racers license and registration please". I handed everything over. 2 minutes later another cop rolls up and starts big mouthing behind my car talking to the other cop as he writes me tickets for both. "How old is he? 19... and he drives a Lexus?" I felt like getting out and jamming the title to the car down his thick, ignorant throat.

Anyway... the original cop comes back with 2 tickets... one for tints ($75) and one for the headlights ($50). On top of both tickets, he takes my license?!?! Since when do they do this for so-called equipment violations? This just got me more heated as he didn't even give me the option to pay him on the spot, give him my AAA card, or reason with why he takes my license for non-moving violations.

Dispite my bitterness towards the cop which i'm sure 90% of you will agree is complete and utter bullshit. I reviewed the ticket and noticed he placed 2 dates on the ticket which are different. One from when the event took place and one from the day before. Below is a link to the actual ticket so you can see what I was talking about (Dates are circled in red):

http://nick.pure-voice.net/ticket1.gif (982KB file)

Read the fine print also... If i'm not mistaken, by him signing the bottom of the ticket notes that this event took place on that date & time and that all information on the presented document is 100% correct. Not possible that the event took place on the 10th and he signed the ticket on the 9th. Maybe I got pulled over by a smoking Delorean and a cop jumped out, handed me a ticket from yesterday, then warped to 9/10/05.

Anyway, I know alot of you have been in the same situation so I need some help deciding how to go about this ticket. Should I just pay the $75 and bite my tounge or will this get dropped due to false dating on the ticket? If I do go against it, how would I? Do I go to court and present the ticket as false information or do I just plead not guilty and stand there waiting for the judge to slaughter me some other way. Or... do I see someone special at the court house regarding tickets? I'm in the dark on what to do here and i'd like to know the best route to take regarding this as i'm not happy at the thought of blowing $75 when I could avoid this whole event all together. I'm ignoring the headlight ticket as, with the provided information from Lexus.com, it will get dropped immediatly. Plus i'm sure the judge will realize i'm driving a Lexus and not some classless rice rocket with a 4" exhaust, double decker wing, and LED tire flares.

Let me know guys and thanks for letting me vent. I know some of you have had worst luck with the 5-0 but still, I find it ridiculous on some ways they go about things. As my grandfather always used to say, some cops truly have something against society.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Are your windows tinted? If not, take pictures get them developed at walmart for 19 cents each and bring them in. Also have a 2001 brochure showing YOUR tail lights are ORIGINAL and the "racers" are copying. They are 100% legal and DOT approved ;)

I always say "fight it", you have NOTHING to loose but, maybe a reduction or complete revocation of the ticket. Good luck. I know how much it sucks to own a "Lexus" and be hassled by the law.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
I would fight it in court if i were you, i had a 2002 corvette done up quite nicely and i got pulled over last year for noise violation from my exhaust and illegal headlights cause i had an aftermarket hid kit installed. The only reason i got the ticket was cause i was only 20 at the time and the cop was butt hurt that i drove a vette and he couldnt!! anyways though, i went on my court date and the cop didnt show so they dropped the ticket. I was sooo happy but i had all my paperwork ready anyway showing everything i had was illegal and ligit. Good luck with everything, sometimes cops just need to get a hobby :pissed:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
That really sounds messed up.
I got pulled over for my tints because they were way to dark but didnt even get a ticket just a warning and i was only 17.

·
Registered
9 Posts
im pretty sure you'll definitely get off for that ticket. Any time where the officer makes a mistake in writing either the date, the street, or any other info on the ticket makes the ticket invalid.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Trust me popo's hate kids with nice cars, im 21 now but how many times have I been pulled over for no reason but because they though I stole the car. MD police do the same shit with the tailights and headlights I keep my manual in the car. Fight it you have more evidence to prove your case and if the cop doesn't show you win. Make the cop be the fool for pulling you over wasting your time and looking down on kids with nice cars!

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
dabomb1188 said:
im pretty sure you'll definitely get off for that ticket. Any time where the officer makes a mistake in writing either the date, the street, or any other info on the ticket makes the ticket invalid.

im by no means a lawyer or a student of the law, but thats not true

like you said. the headlights are really a non issue and should get thrown out immediately with proper documentation. id say its a 50/50 chance on the windows. you can try arguing the technicality of the date, but it depends on the judge if he will accept that alone.

i received a ticket last year in north carolina with a wrong date and time, and although the judge did accept that some of the info on the ticket was wrong, he made me prove my innocence in another way as well, which i could not do (even with the help the best lawyer in the area). charges/fines were lowered considerably, but i didnt get off the hook 100%. so moral of the story, dont go on the technicality alone... make sure you have some other back up argument if you choose to go to court and enter a plea of not guilty.

sorry you got such pricks for cops in your area... sounds like he was probably pulling you hoping youd have a warrant out for your arrest, alcohol on your breath, etc, etc.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If what you got were fix it tickets, you don't have to appear in court for the violations. All you need is to fix the apparent infraction (which nobody wants to do) and have the ticket signed off by another police officer who can see that you have "corrected" the violation (hopefully someone you know), and turn them in with a fee usually of around $10-$15.

Since I am in Cali, thats how it works. If you get pulled over again for the tint, just say you bought the car like that.

I have a hard time believing you will have to show up in court for a non-traffic violation. Was the cop highway patrol, sheriff, or regular pig department?

Any way, I smell pork.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
ISayIS said:
If what you got were fix it tickets, you don't have to appear in court for the violations. All you need is to fix the apparent infraction (which nobody wants to do) and have the ticket signed off by another police officer who can see that you have "corrected" the violation (hopefully someone you know), and turn them in with a fee usually of around $10-$15.

Since I am in Cali, thats how it works. If you get pulled over again for the tint, just say you bought the car like that.

I have a hard time believing you will have to show up in court for a non-traffic violation. Was the cop highway patrol, sheriff, or regular pig department?

Any way, I smell pork.

uhhh he doesnt HAVE to go to court, he's choosing to so he can fight the tickets.. ;)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IWannaLex said:
He took off with your license?
Yep, took my license and I just discovered he didn't give me the BLUE copy required to pay the fine!

So if I send this yellow copy in, I have no proof of license nor will they probably accept it as its the wrong copy.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ISayIS said:

Any way, I smell pork.

Regular 'ol Woodridge cop. Some young kid I should say, under 25 for sure. I'd say he was fresh out of training.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Actully if you look at the mods you see he has 8000K headlights that are actully illegal since stock are about 4000k -4300k. I would just pay and let it go. sometimes these younger cops like to pick on the little guys. good luck

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thats really lame. I would say just bite your tongue and pay the ticket. I got pulled over about a week ago for my windows being too dark and i tried the " well i just bought the car" excuse, and it DIDNT work (even though i had just gotten the car about 3 weeks ago). He said it was still MY responsibility to make sure the car is safe to drive. He also tried to say that my windows were 2% tint...which made me laugh out loud.... im just going to pay the ticket, even though he had no reason to pull me over in the first place (front 2 windows were down)...jack ass. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
558 Posts
man i got 2 summons for my tints on fri night, scanned my tints and the cop said it was 11% GAYY!!!. Would anyone happen to know how much 2 summons would be? expensive right?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
PureNick said:
Regular 'ol Woodridge cop. Some young kid I should say, under 25 for sure. I'd say he was fresh out of training.
off topic...but are you from the future Nick (or have I been living in a cave)? Why does your sig. at the bottom say you have a 2009 IS300? Last I knew, the 2006's weren't out just yet.

Yet, you have have your hands on a 2009. Pretty impressive.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Your super blue headlights and dark tint are 100% illegal. You are in the wrong 100%. I don't know why you are complaining about getting pulled over and ticketed. 15% tint cant even be mistaken for a legal tint its so damn dark. And those 8000k headlights are so blue its obvious they are aftermarket and not even close to anything that comes as original equipment on a car. You are not allowed to have blue lights on your car like that. And what does popping the hood to show him the wiring have to do with it. The bulbs are not legal for use on public roads, it has nothing to do with the housing or wiring.

The cop didn't "light you up randomly", he lit you up becuse you have extremely blue headlights and extremely black windows wich both are illegal and he is 100% right for pulling you over and banging you out for the tickets. Just be thankful he only hit you for equipment violations. Pay the tickets and end it there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts