Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got up this morning and found out I have a flat tire. two nails on the side of my tire... :pissed:

so i just put in my spare. my question is, should I just replace that tire or can i just patch it up? also, if i am to replace it, should i do it for all the other tires since i haven't change my tire and I have 63k miles on it...the thread doesn't look too bad to replace it. btw, how much does the dealer charge for one tire?

TIA

·
8,849 Posts
If the nails are on the sidewall of the tire, I don't think it is fixable.

Dealer will charge you an arm and a leg for tires.
Try tirerack.com

It is recommended to keep all 4 tires in the same shape, so you might as well upgrade all 4.

·
Registered
30,476 Posts
hey man, take it to a tire shop, and try patching it... at the very least, you have a new spare ;)

·
8,849 Posts
TK288 said:
$312 each for potenza from longo lexus..... :eek:
Compared to:

Bridgestone Potenza RE040 (Ultra High Performance Summer)
Size:215/45-17
ZR Speed Rated Price: $164 Best Seller Original Equipment
Estimated Availability: In Stock

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i checked out tirerack...so which one do you guys recommend for my stock rims?

also, anybody in socal knows of any good tire shop cuz I don't want to wait for the shipping time?

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
TK288 said:

also, anybody in socal knows of any good tire shop cuz I don't want to wait for the shipping time?
america's tire co will match your tirerack price and install/mount/balance too

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ltunedgirl said:
TK288 said:

america's tire co will match your tirerack price and install/mount/balance too
thanks...i got check them out on this weekend.... :D

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
discount tires in el monte is pretty decent, and close to your house. but yeah i think america's tire matches prices... pretty funny, they have banners at the shop that say "We beat costco prices!"

·
Registered
312 Posts
if the nails are anywhere on the sidewall or if they are on the tread but less than an inch from the sidewall, it is UNfixable!! If the hole is greater than an inch in from the sidewall they can plug the hole.

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'll probably go with 225/45-17....anybody have issues with the 225 on stock rim and height??

did a search and nothing came up

·
Registered
276 Posts
same problem

I too had the ole' tire in the sidewall about a month ago and it was unpatchable. The nail was actually in the top of tire but right near the outter sidewall and they said it was no good! New tire from Lexus here in VA installed was only $207. I actually called around to see if I could get the tire cheaper elsewhere and surprisingly Lexus had the best price!
One other thing to keep in mind, the tires are directional which means you can't install them on either side. There are arrows on each of the tires indicating which way they should be installed (arrows should face forward). I think by default the spare comes configured to be installed on the right side (side most likely to get damage because it faces the curb). They can remove the tire from the rim and install it in the other direction if needed though so not a big problem, just something to keep in mind!

·
Premium Member
52,535 Posts
Yean, I went for alignment and rotation and had to turn one of the tires around on the rim to get the best 4 tires on the ground.

·
11,054 Posts
I just found a screw imbedded in one this weekend. :pissed: The guys at Discount Tire changed it for the spare, (fortunately, it was the right direction) but since it was so close to the edge, it isn't repairable.
Now I'm without a spare. I think I'm gonna spring for the Michelin all season set and use the oddball Potenza for my spare. It will be slightly smaller, (215 as opposed to the Michelin 225) but should be OK for an emergency.

·
11,054 Posts
TK288 said:
i'll probably go with 225/45-17....anybody have issues with the 225 on stock rim and height??

did a search and nothing came up
I just asked that question in the "wheels and tires" forum. No problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts