Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lets see...the lexus has the is coming out very soon. i anticipate on test driving one when it comes available. the thing i dont understand...why not wait and get the is300 when the 6spd comes out. by then lexus will get so much feedback that the car will be better next year with more mods. etc...also the price will be cheaper. iam willing to wait "impatiently" for the is to come out next year where i can pay the whole thing off and at the same time i can get a better bargin. im not the richest person out there nor am i the most ignorant. i just feel like if you complain so much about the lexus not meeting up to your standards...just look for another car...lexus just wants you to have a choice....sorry if the comments are crude..just my personal opinion. thanks.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Mike
Lexus will not offer a 6 speed (it's too big and won't fit) next year, it will most likely be a 5 speed... Second, the price will NOT go down...It's more than likely that it will actually go up in price. Third, it's unlikely there will be any modifications within the next two years besides the availability of a NAV system...Like the Germans, Lexus doesn't change their cars very frequently....
Eric....

·
Registered
978 Posts
When I first heard the 5spd tranny wouldn't be out for another year, I did comtemplate waiting. But waiting for this car, ever since I put my deposit down back in November, has been painful enough. I am definetely "impatient" and want this car now! Also, my current car is on it's last leg and there's no way I can wait much longer to replace it.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
wow, you placed your order back in November???? you'll probably get one of the first cars. My friend who placed an order for the car (Lexus of Rockville, MD) got a call from his dealer saying that the Limited Slip Differential would not be available amongst the first shipment of cars.... Did you hear anything like that?
Eric...

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I generally go by the rule: "Don't buy anything the first year it comes out," so I am going to wait for at least two years (and save money) to purchase an IS300. By then, the manual version will be out.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
"Don't buy anything the first year it comes out"..... I don't think this saying applies to Lexus. The first year the LS400 came out in 1990 it was immediately a hit at a "low price." Their high reliablility was recognized with their first models. The GS400 which made its debut back in 1998 has since increased in both price and demand. Some people haven't yet received their GS400's who placed their orders in back in February. If you wait and get your IS300 in a year or two, I'll bet that you'll definitely be paying more for the car and you may even have to wait longer for it (because there are a lot of people that don't even know that the IS300 exists unlike us car fanatics).
Eric.....

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
The first RX's and GS's had quite a few problems. In particular, the GS had a problem with vibration coming from the front wheels/suspension. A simple tire realignment/balancing did *not* help (it would be fine at first but the vibration came back).

If the price does go up and if I have to wait, then I'll just mosey over to the BMW or the Audi dealer...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
"GS's had quite a few problems"... I've read this in Popular Mechanics... However, I never had a problem with my GS since I got it and it's a 1998 (including front suspension vibration). Besides, look at Lexus's track record compared with other auto makers....My father had 3 problems with his 2000 740iL the day he bought....bugs.... very few bugs in a Lexus....
Eric....

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I'm not criticizing anyone decision getting the IS300 right now. Yeah, yeah, I'm jealous of all you lucky people getting your IS300's.
Anyone want to give me a ride?
Heck, I'd love to get it right now, but unfortunately for me I don't have the funds to purchase a new car.

That's cool how you didn't have any problems with your GS, Eric. Are you going to add the IS or will it replace your GS?

[This message has been edited by JW (edited May 22, 2000).]

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Actually JW, I'm debating on whether to wait two years to buy the GS430 or place an order for a BMW M5... I'm not intestested in buying the IS300 now, even though I think it will be a fantastic car that was worth waiting for
... I talked one of my friends into placing an order for one..
Eric....

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Hmm...that's a tough one. Have you considered the E55 too?

Originally posted by EricK:
Actually JW, I'm debating on whether to wait two years to buy the GS430 or place an order for a BMW M5... I'm not intestested in buying the IS300 now, even though I think it will be a fantastic car that was worth waiting for
... I talked one of my friends into placing an order for one..
Eric....

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
JW,
The only reason I'm considering the M5 is because it has a manual transmission and I think it would be nice for a change. It would defeat the purpose to consider the E55 because it's only available with an automatic. I'm better off staying with the Lexus in that case. I personally think the E55 is boring looking (an E320 with fancy wheels). I don't really care for Mercedes Benz aside from their CLK 430.... If only Lexus made a GS500....
Eric

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Oh, I see now. Yeah, the E55 is only available with automatic; I heard there will be a CLK55. The M5's are limited though. Would you be able to get on the list to get one?

[This message has been edited by JW (edited May 22, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
The E55 is Godsent.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
well I'll probably have to wait north of a year (at least) to get an M5... I think the waiting list for the E55 was 2 years the last time I checked. 2 years from now the GS430 will be out, but I'm not interested in the E55 anyways... For all of you waiting for the IS...isn't waiting the WORST?
Eric...
ps. I saw the CLK55 at the NYC autoshow.... It looked VERY NICE!
definitely nicer than the E55... There's something about the CLK look that makes it much better looking than the E-class

·
Registered
113 Posts
I WISH I could afford a CLK! If I had the $$, I'd get a silver IS300 and a red CLK Cabriolet. I'm really a drop-top kinda girl

·
Registered
25 Posts
Erick,

The GS430 will be available this fall, not two years. This fall the new LS430 comes out with the 4.3 litre, and the GS will get the new motor and some minor changes at the same time.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
daverav4
Yes the GS430 will be available soon.... BUT the All new Body style won't be out for another two years... The GS430 coming this year will have the same body style.... I want to wait until the GS430 comes out with the new shape.....
Eric.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
10 Participants
AndyL
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing