Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving back to school in Hoboken, NJ soon and I need to find a place relatively close by that can: install my springs possibly w/ an alignment, install my grounding kit, maybe hard-wire my radar detector...thanks.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
Re: Good shop in NY/NJ area?

GraphiteSportDesign said:
I am moving back to school in Hoboken, NJ soon and I need to find a place relatively close by that can: install my springs possibly w/ an alignment, install my grounding kit, maybe hard-wire my radar detector...thanks.
i got my racepipe, and grounding kit installed at

SPI

Sharp Precision Instruments Inc.
2 Industrial Drive, Unit F
Cliffwood Beach, NJ 07735

Toll Free:
(877) SHOP SPI

Telephone:
(732) 290-2213

its a nice drive down the parkway, but worth it, cuz the guy there, Mike does great work on the IS 300 and Supra's...

give them a call and see what they can do for you!

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
baadhabit said:
BugginOuT said:
I went to SPI also......recommended from MB.

very clean and oriented...they charge like $100 per hour.

SPI is nice and all but their prices are kinda high. besides half of those things you can do yourself.
you get what you pay for....good quality work from guys who have experiance with aftermarket products on the IS 300

hard to find shops that have that experiance....cuz most shops are ricer havens or have young kids working in them...

i saw Mike at SPI swap a 2jz-gte into an 88 Supra, and he gutted the engine, replaced everything, rebuilt that baby, and then the car dyno'd at like 680 RWHP......

great work......his personal car, his IS has been at HIN, he has a working twin turbo kit on the 2jz-ge.....

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
baadhabit said:
BugginOuT said:

SPI is nice and all but their prices are kinda high. besides half of those things you can do yourself.
you get what you pay for....good quality work from guys who have experiance with aftermarket products on the IS 300

hard to find shops that have that experiance....cuz most shops are ricer havens or have young kids working in them...

i saw Mike at SPI swap a 2jz-gte into an 88 Supra, and he gutted the engine, replaced everything, rebuilt that baby, and then the car dyno'd at like 680 RWHP......

great work......his personal car, his IS has been at HIN, he has a working twin turbo kit on the 2jz-ge.....

thats not always true.

plus why would pay somebody 100 bucks an hour to put on a grounding kit and hardwire a radar (see original post).

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
baadhabit said:
tsopranoMB said:
baadhabit said:
BugginOuT said:

thats not always true.

plus why would pay somebody 100 bucks an hour to put on a grounding kit and hardwire a radar (see original post).
its not $100 an hour, its like $60 or something close to that, i'll have to check my records at home.....

dont want to argue about it, but they do have a lot of experiance on our cars, and i wouldnt trust a local garage or grease monkey to touch under my hood.....the original post also asked about spring installs, and SPI did that for a few people with IS's for reasonable rates, like $300 or so....

to each their own, i'd rather pay a mechanic who has the experiance to do installs right then to do it myself or fuck it up by going to someone who has no experiance on the IS 300.....thats my point...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
baadhabit said:
tsopranoMB said:
baadhabit said:
BugginOuT said:

thats not always true.

He did mention springs... :D

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so how much do they charge per hour, $100, $60? Would they also do an alignment?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My total cost came out to $106.00

That's for the Intake and changing the flat tire for me on my way down there.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BugginOuT said:
My total cost came out to $106.00

That's for the Intake and changing the flat tire for me on my way down there.
but how long did it take?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just called SPI and wtf?? They said it would take them 4-5 hours to install springs and a grounding kit. Dont springs take around 2 hours? They charge $100 per hour so thats $400-$500 bucks. Holy shit! Please tell me if I have the wrong impression here...

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
I just called SPI and wtf?? They said it would take them 4-5 hours to install springs and a grounding kit. Dont springs take around 2 hours? They charge $100 per hour so thats $400-$500 bucks. Holy sh*t! Please tell me if I have the wrong impression here...
That might be a mistake. AIM me and I'll tell you were to go (or where I go for my suspension). Later.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where should I go to get my V1 hard-wired? I kinda want someplace close by. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Where should I go to get my V1 hard-wired? I kinda want someplace close by. Any suggestions?
you should do it yourself I went over to my friends house and we did it in 15 minutes. It's REALLY easy. Do a search houstonlex posted a good set of instructions with pictures.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I decided to do everything myself except for the springs. I still need a close, cheap place that will do it. The best I have is $225 in Hempstead, NY.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
I decided to do everything myself except for the springs. I still need a close, cheap place that will do it. The best I have is $225 in Hempstead, NY.
cheap isnt always the best way to go....might sound good...but you do get what you pay for...remember that....

:wink:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts