Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey where are you guys grounding your sub amp? I tapped a hole in paint-removed metal in the trunk and am experiencing some dimming. Only using 2ft 4 gauge wire too, solid connections all around. I'm going to upgrade my big three but wonder if anyone has had better luck with a different amp ground location. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
i have a pretty good ground and my dash lights dim a little bit. the headlights dont though.
i have done a couple amp installs for a few is members and it still did the same thing..
try the big three and post results..

·
Premium Member
11,198 Posts
good call. mine was with the car on but it is so miniscule that I didnt notice until i was really looking for it.. but to some that will bug them.
Slight dimming with the car on isn't really an issue. And dimming with the car off isn't a problem by a long shot; not unless you drain the battery completely but you'll know if that happens.

I'd suspect he doesn't really have a problem. That "1000watt" amp in his signature probably isn't 1000RMS since it's powering a single Kappa12.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Slight dimming with the car on isn't really an issue. And dimming with the car off isn't a problem by a long shot; not unless you drain the battery completely but you'll know if that happens.

I'd suspect he doesn't really have a problem. That "1000watt" amp in his signature probably isn't 1000RMS since it's powering a single Kappa12.
i knew it wasnt a big issue..
thats funny i love when i talk to people and they say they have like a 2500 watt SONY amp. or why is that jl so expensive when i can get the more power out of my sony lol

what helps a little is adding a bigger ground from the battery to the chassis.
try it and see if it helps.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
my theory on capacitors.
they put capacitors in amps so if an amp is good enough they would have put the right amount of capacitance. so how is adding a bigger cap than the ones inside the amp going to solve anything.

in the past experience the only way i have ever truly gotten my lights to stop dimming was to add a second battery and a battery isolator.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Caps arent a solution to dimming lights. MECP certified here, working installer. I Just thought I could get a quick answer to a question I have about the car I am going to be installing a new system in. The lights flicker like crazy and its nothing I've ever seen. Not in my ES, Supra, or Camry's. I used the ground location that I always do, under the rear seat, and was just wondering if this was a weak ground in the chassis. I will be upgrading the battery to ground, engine to ground and battery positive to alternator in the coming weeks as free time is not very common to me.

Right on Deesz. I've found that with the Toyota alternators, there is not much you can do to COMPLETELY eliminate such dimming without more involved work. My IS is just more than im used to.

BTW headlights on our IS' won't dim due to the fact that the HID's have their own regulated power supply.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.