Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Good for aesthetics. Bad for braking performance and longevity.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
ok paul, but explain why :)

D

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
With slotted rotors you have an edge for the pad to bite on... this means better braking but shorter pad life. Ceramics last longer than other pads so you'll still have some good use out of 'em but not as much. I have brembo cross drilled only all round with PBR ceramics and i LOVE them. Way better than stock and they bite really good too. The cross drilling also helps prevent warping and gives great cooling. So if you go with drilled and slotted you'll get a good combo of both, but i wanted to make sure i get good life from the pads and went with drilled only. The final choice is all up to you.

Reactions: is300soon

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well my name isn't paul... but who cares

Cross drilled rotors tend to get hairline fractures emanating from the holes throughout the rotor when subjected to cyclic heat over time. This isn't to say that they won't work, its just that under the same conditions they're probably going to fail sooner.

Cross drilling was originally designed to help pads 'out gas' the material that is worn off the pad surface rather than letting it get stuck in between the pad and the rotor. But that was a long time ago, pad compounds are more advanced now and don't typically have that problem.

If you really want some type of performance gain, get slotted rotors. Unless you're seriously planning to take your car to a track for competition, stick to blanks, they're cheaper and get the job done as best as the stock brake system will stop the car.

- C

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
+ rep to u both, i was looking for more of a detailed post from TECK :) but you guys did whats good for the owner and answered it.

D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts