Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st time going to a track with my IS300. I have done a lot of canyon racing and know my car pretty well, but track racing and canyon racing is very different. So if there is anything I should do to my car or not do, please post. My "handeling" mods are:

18/40/225 front 18/40/235 back S03s
Ltuned sways
Tein RAs
Tanabe underbraces
Tanabe rear strut bar
JIC front strut bar

Thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
danielm said:
1st time going to a track with my IS300. I have done a lot of canyon racing and know my car pretty well, but track racing and canyon racing is very different. So if there is anything I should do to my car or not do, please post. My "handeling" mods are:

18/40/225 front 18/40/235 back S03s
Ltuned sways
Tein RAs
Tanabe underbraces
Tanabe rear strut bar
JIC front strut bar

Thanks.
Canyon driving is like night and day compared to track driving. Track racing is a lot safer and less variables to contend with (i.e. oncoming bikers going into your lane, rocks, etc.).

Are you planning on driving on Big Willow or Streets? There is a big difference b/t the two, Big Willow being faster 100+ mph, where as Streets is < 100mph. I driven on Streets and it was indeed a blast. Anywho, the main thing is to go at your max comfort level. Heel-toe downshift is a must (I learned how to do it here). It looks like the mods you got will be more than enough. Its good to have a 4-point harness (but not required).

Here are the turns and what to expect (if I can remember :D ) (Turn numbering scheme could be worng, and probably is but it will give you a frame of reference)

Turn 1 (from Straight): Hair-pin, off-camber right on exit
Turn 2: Late-apex left sweeper
Turn 3: Late-apex right tight sweeper
Turn 4: Sweeper to the left
Turn 5: wide radius sweeper leading to the "bowl"
Turn 6: 20 degree banked oval "bowl", followed by back straight
Turn 7: Downhill Chicane to the right(blind drop)
Turn 8: Chicane to the left, Small Straight
Turn 9: Hard Left hand turn, followed by small straight
Turn 10: Fast Right
Turn 11: Mild left
Turn 12: right hand Sweeper on "Skidpad", then onto front straight.

You'll pretty much hit 4th gear, or maybe top out at 3rd on the front straight (depending how mch speed you carry thru turn 12.
Much like canyon driving elevation changes on Streets are a norm and a lot of late apex off camber turns. Go slow and learn the line. One tip, make sure you are able to drive your car back home in one piece. In racing, there is always an element of danger. Have fun! :D

http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/trackinformation/images/StreetLg.gif

·
Registered
253 Posts
Are you doing the big track or small one? Which club are you running with? I would imagine that you would be assigned an instructor. Pick his brain.
One of the best things you can do, is go ask an instructor for a ride. It can be a very humbling experience.
Have fun.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The event is being held by redlinetrackevents.com, they do it every month and I am finally able to go, because its a Sunday.

The track I am going to run is the Streets of Willow.

Great info Speedtrap, thank you very much for that! and I do plan on taking the 1st half of the session slowly to learn the track and if i can find an instructor he will be in my car :)

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've done a couple events with them. You get tons of track time.
If it's the same instructor as before, he's good. He may even take your car for a few laps at some point.

·
Nygmatic
2,572 Posts
hey daniel, are you going saturday and sunday? or just sunday?

if you are going saturday, ill sign up. otherwise, sunday is my birthday :)

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good way to celabrate your birthday! You should come and then you will still have time to go out have fun :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts