Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
"made in taiwan" = cheap lil plastic parts for things you always use, but dont even know... idk if they can really make car parts lol jk see for yourself

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
ProjectIS said:
Is there any certain place that I can buy car stuff at Taiwan?
When you going to Taiwan? What part, Taipei? I'm going there in Dec/Jan to visit my girlfriend. Never been there before.

Thomas

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
ProjectIS said:
Is there any certain place that I can buy car stuff at Taiwan?
FYI: Taiwan has a 25% tax on car parts imported from Japan. (or something like that).

something i learned when i went back earlier last month. I probably just went to the wrong places.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I got my "Happy Cat" family from the president of the Taiwan Happy Cat Club. He sells car stuff, but it's mostly ricer light bulbs and things.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm based in Taiwan.

Taiwan really isn't a good place for the car enthusiast. There are photo radar cameras everywhere, and anything that's not a locally manufactured car usually costs 1.5x to 3x of the US price. To give you an idea, an IS300 stickers for US$50K, and manual transmission is not available.

That said, you can still find some interesting stuff. Stuff specific to the IS probably would have to be ordered. There is Autobacs here, and some other similar shops, as well as the plethora of small aftermarket shops.

The one thing that you might be interested in is HID kits, since NHTSA started cracking down on them in the US. There are a good selection of both locally made and imported HID kits available for sale at decent prices.

I don't personally know any other IS owners, but my friend knows this group that meets on Friday nights, and a couple ISs usually show up.

What are you looking for, and what part of Taiwan are you visiting? How long are you here for? At the very least, it should be easy to squeeze a trip to Autobacs in.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
just remember to eat everything that you can't get here authentic!! watch for SARS! and go shrimp fishing!

·
Registered
9 Posts
hey guys,
just got back from taiwan 2 days ago!!!
well, i do'nt know where to look for car parts there,
but I heard that they have a lot of knockoff wheels there! i must have saw like 10 cars with advan model 5's everyday!
anyways, once ur back, u won't be thinking about cars, trust me on that one! hhaha
have fun,
shawn

·
Registered
9 Posts
hey BenL,
is it true they don't sell manual IS's there?
i didn't know that! damn,
I am moving back to taiwan in september for good, taht just ruined my plans!!!
anyways, get back to me!
thanx
shawn[/quote]

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey, I was just in Toronto in June!

Yes, there are no manual transmission ISs available from Lexus. I know there are at least a couple running around with Altezza 6-speed transmissions that the owners installed, but I'd prefer a factory installed one, so I have the automatic.

I suppose if you have a manual IS in the U.S., you could import it to Taiwan, but:

- If it's used (at least 1 year old and 10K miles, I think, not sure on the exact #s), then you get hit with a 30% tax on the U.S. blue book value.
- If it's new (within the limits above), then you get hit with a 75% tax.
- Plan on US$2-3K to ship it
- US$2K in inspections to certify that it meets safety and emissions, and the inspection must be done in a city that is about 3 hour drive from either of the port cities, so you have to arrange for flatbed there.
- You lose any warranty you may have had left
- Parts that are different from the Euro spec automatic trans (Taiwan gets Euro spec cars) have to be shipped from US.

Anyway, you get the idea: not worth it, as it'll cost you US$10-15K just to get it here and on the road. I researched bringing my last car over when I moved, but I gave up on that when I found out all the above.

Manual transmissions are not popular in Taiwan in general. If it's even available as a factory option, it usually has to be special ordered, you have to wait a few months for your car, and when time comes to sell, you'll have a hard time selling it, and will have to sell it for less than a comparable automatic transmission car. I originally wanted a manual transmission car (IS or otherwise), but it's just too hard to find.

Send me an email about your plans. One of my good friends here now is actually another guy from the US who I met through the web forums for the car I had (and he still has) in the US.

froggo37 said:
hey BenL,
is it true they don't sell manual IS's there?
i didn't know that! damn,
I am moving back to taiwan in september for good, taht just ruined my plans!!!
anyways, get back to me!
thanx
shawn
[/quote]

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
just got back from Taiwan a few days ago also, most of the car shops in Taiwan is really ghetto....and they carry mostly replica stuffs

·
Registered
547 Posts
You can get SARS there.

Bring your face mask

1 - 14 of 14 Posts