Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greets:
I had a squeak that was driving me crazy which turned out to be the glass in front of the speedometer. I searched a lot in the forums and didn't find a solution, but I kept looking and think I came up with something that might help some folks.

1. Removed the speedometer console using the following instructions taken from this thread: Link to another thread!

After following the directions:

>> Copy of Guage Console Removal Instructions
From WRXMAN:
It is really easy. Look below the key and you will see a screw. Remove it. Now you will see two screws above the gauge cluster in the plastic. Remove them and pop that piece off. You will have to remove the cable connected to the dimmer on the right, so becareful on that side. Then remove the 3 screws around the gauge cluster (2 top and 1 bottom). That allows the gauge cluster to come out. Pull it away from the dash and slide your hand around the back to unplug the two plugs on the left side. Then, once you have the gauge cluster out of the car, there are two tiny scres on each around the outside holding the plastic on. Remove them and pop the pops open.
<<

2. I first cut, and then put in some double sided carpet tape between the bottom of the guage console and where the glass will fit in on top of it.
The tape i used:

The point of application:
and

3. Then put the guage console back in.
You can see the tape applied here:

4. Then put the speedometer cover back on.

I hope this helps some people get rid of that squeak!
Later.

· Registered
116 Posts
It worked. Went for a ride and no annoying rattle!!! Here are the corrections for 2002 model.

Shaft said:
Then remove the 3 screws around the gauge cluster (2 top and 1 bottom). That allows the gauge cluster to come out.
Actually 1 screw on top and 2 on bottom.

Shaft said:
Pull it away from the dash and slide your hand around the back to unplug the two plugs on the left side. Then, once you have the gauge cluster out of the car, there are two tiny scres on each around the outside holding the plastic on. Remove them and pop the pops open.
It was tough to take out the plastic wrap around the gage cluster that includes the hole for the ignition. I tilted the wheel all the way to the bottom and figured out that if I just pull up that piece and turn it clockwise toward the passenger side it will come out effortlessly. I tried to pull it straight up and it was giving me trouble since I did not want to scratch anything. Then I found out that even if I scratch that plastic, rubbing it with a finger will get rid of the scratch.

I couldn't get the two connectors out from the cluster so I just figured I will leave them in, and for this fix, you really don't have to remove the cluster wire connectors.

On 2002 there are tape strips covering each pop-in from the clear plastic cover. I guess the tape is securing the clear cover to the cluster and trying to prevent the rattle. Peel the tape away and pop out the plastic, there are no two tiny screws that secure the clear cover as mentioned above.

I also did not have a double sided tape so I just used 3M bandaids, the very smallest ones they make (fit perfectly on the narrow bottom flange). I put the bandaid adhesive sides (cut off the middle) on both sides of the clear plastic cover bottom flange, about 1/2 inch strips on both sides of the middle lower pop-in and same around the outside pop-ins as well as one strip in the middle of these (left and right). Then put everything back together. As a precaution, I also put a bandaid on the inside of the big plastic piece that had the ignition hole. So that when that piece touches the clear cluster, it won't rattle. I tried to put the bandaid on the edge of that piece facing the clear plastic but sort of out of view.

From what I have seen, the sources of rattle could have been from the big plastic piece with ignition hole hitting the clear piece (fixed that), or the clear piece hitting the cluster itself (fixed that also). Time will show if it really works, but so far, so good!

So there was no need to unplug the wires from behind of the gage cluster at all.

Since this was my no.1 problem with this car, I'm happy that "Shaft" helped out and posted this fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.