Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Have you ever seen those personalized license plate frames, usually on HUGE SUVs or station wagons, listing their family's "stats"? My parents had 3 girls, and no boys, much to my father's chagrin. (Part of it was the "Who's going to carry on the family name?" issue, since that's a pretty important legacy in our culture. But that's beside the point.) This is my somewhat long-winded rambling tale of how I got here to .NET and how I developed my car addiction.

"Hi. My name is Thundercloud, and I'm a car-aholic." :blush:

It's a fairly simple story, actually. Have you ever noticed how, in families with no sons, sometimes the daughters tend to take on some "tomboyish" traits? With most of my friends in this scenario, at least one of the daughters is more "tomboyish" than a stereotypical "girlie girl". I'm not saying this happens in all cases or that this doesn't happen in a family with a daughter and a son. Also, in this day and age, you don't really have to be put into neat tomboy or girlie categories anymore, since individuality is so heavily touted.

For as long as I can remember, my dad has always ordered car magazines. At the peak, he had 4 subscriptions coming to our house: Road & Track, Motor Trend, Automobile and Car & Driver. Now that we're older, he's tapered down a bit to just 3 car magazine subscriptions (the latter 3). :lol: Cars have always been something we could talk to our dad about. I would read every issue in my free time, when I was home. We would go to auto shows with him, talk about the new cars coming out, and even speculate on what car we'd buy next for our family. ;) We've gone through several cars over the years, but I believe my dad's favorite car was his light blue Datsun 280Z. I think it was a '75, but I'm not positive, since I wasn't born yet. :lol: I remember that my dad kept it around as long as he could. But when you have 3 young kids and a two-seater car, it just wasn't meant to be. We needed another family car, in addition to my mom's car (which for some reason, I can't remember clearly). We had some great times riding in that Datsun. I loved the black bucket-type seats, the shiny black dash and the gauges, how my dad would have to change gears when he was driving (Hey, I was young, and I had no clue why that car was different than my mom's car! :lol: ) Since my dad sold that Datsun back in the early 1980's, our family hasn't purchased another 2 seater, let alone a 2 door car. (Wow, I never realized that until now!) So that was the beginning of my car obsession.

I used to keep a list of my favorite cars, every single year, starting way back in junior high. Back then, the Honda Preludes were my #1 car. My fav for a long time was the '91 Prelude Si in that dark midnight blue color. That car was #1 on my realistic ("realistic" meaning within a high school kid's feasible realm of choices) list for quite a few years. My "maybe someday" list included the NSX, M3, RX7 and 911. The e36-e46 M3 ruled that list throughout high school and college.

Looking back, I attribute my general automotive knowledge to my dad (and his magazines), and my very basic modding introduction to my college boyfriend. My college boyfriend was heavily into the import racing scene, participating in the battle of the imports at Palmdale, going to the Ontario races from OC, hanging with his car crew, working on his car, etc. I never actually attended any of the racing events, though, and I never modded my car ('95 Accord). I just didn't think about it. Modding a car just wasn't something I envisioned myself doing.

So how did I get here? How did I wind up on .NET? How did I end up wanting to modify my own car? In all honesty, I have no clue. I started looking into new cars when my Accord hit the 8 year mark back in May of '03. I narrowed down my choices to 2 (IS, RX8), but it wasn't a fair comparison. I've loved the IS since it came out. I liked the round, smooth styling of the car, with the beautiful 5 spoke rims. Two weeks into the ownership of my new IS, my sister's boyfriend asked me if I was on IS300.NET. I remember asking him "What's that?"...And that's how it all began. ;)

I really can't blame my sister's boyfriend for all of my modding/car forum craziness. I'm partially at fault, as well as being heavily influenced by *ahem* two specific members on this forum. You know who you are. Thanks a bunch, you two (S, I)! Much love to my dad, my mom and my two sisters. And of course, BIG thanks to jruhi4 for reading & editing! (What’s my editing tab up to now?) As with anything, this can't be copied or reproduced without consent. ;) <P>Alright, girlies! I know you must have SOMETHING to say! PM me or email me with your submissions. ;) Otherwise, everyone here is stuck reading my nonsensical ramblings! :lol:

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
This may be .Chick, but this guy can't help himself and is commenting here.

When Thundercloud asked me to edit that article, it really moved me and resonated with me. You see, I'm just like Thundercloud's Dad, and I went through a 4-car magazine subscription phase as well. Now it's just Car & Driver, a free 1-year subscription to AutoWeek for attending a Chrysler Driving Event, and, of course, the lightning-speed timeliness of the Internet.

Also like Thundercloud's Dad, I have "adult children" :)screwy: oxymoron, huh?) My daughter is 25 years old and my son is 19. Neither is as intensely "car-fanatical" as I am, or as Thundercloud is, but the influence of a car-loving father can still be quite present.

When I took my daughter car-shopping during her Freshman year of college on a $7000 budget, depreciation became my friend. I steered her towards a Geo Prizm, as it provided the mechanical quality of a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla, but could get a newer car for the same $. So she got a '93 Prizm. One day, she was with a group of guys that were talking cars. They assumed she was clueless about cars, but she casually commented "Oh, yeah, I drive a Geo Prizm, which is almost the same as a Toyota Corolla, but sold at a Chevrolet dealer." The guys' jaws dropped. One asked how she was so knowledgeable about cars. She replied, "With my Dad, it's impossible not to know about cars!"

This Sunday, God willing, my daughter, my son-in-law and I will be heading out to the Toyota "Put it in Play" Driving Event. And, on November 5, my son is coming down from college just so he & I can go together to the South Florida Auto Show.

For car nuts like us, the only thing better than enjoying cars is enjoying them with family and friends!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Hehe, I fit into that "tomboyish" girl thing. And I got all my (which isn't a whole lot) car knowledge from my dad as well. Like you said, with no male siblings, I chose to go the other way. I've never owned a single Barbie doll in my life. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against girls who do, but that just wasn't my thing.

Hanging around my uncle's shop a lot when I was younger, I was introduced to transmissions, oil changes and complete engine swaps way sooner than I could even understand what was really going on. Stands, wheel locks, wrenches and the likes were more of a common tool in my mind than a spatula and whisk (hehe, although I do enjoy baking =P). So it wasn't an overnight thing that I became interested in cars.

Much like you I became very interested as I approached the legal driving age (16 in california) and went through tons of car magazines. Also, a list of certain cars quickly formed as the "dream cars" in my mind. Hehe, I still remembered how cool the first MR2's looked wayyy back in the day. It later gave way to the M3/M5, z06, STi and 911 Turbos.

As I finished hs and moved onto college, I even chose my major according to this passion. To this very day, I hope that I can land a job at Lexus/Toyota or something of the likes designing cars with my mechanical engineering degree. Hehe, 4 months after graduation as of now so we'll see how that goes.

I'm really glad there is a .Chick section to IS300.net now. It really gives girls a place to know other girls interested in cars. Awesome right up by the way! :approve:

·
11,062 Posts
Funny how that works. I'm the eldest of two girls. I can attest to the fact that if I wanted to spend time with Daddy, I had to get on his wave-length. He doesn't talk about much besides, cars, radios, airplanes and cameras. So...well...I'm Daddy's girl!

·
Runs on Rice
2,900 Posts
I wouldn't call it "tomboyish" because it's an asexual hobby IMO. Girls holding wrenches might be a awkward sight back in the days. At this time and age, girls with car knowledge is a huge turn-on for guys, especially guys who love cars. Asides from the fact that we would do more things together (going to events, upgrading cars, etc.) by sharing the same interests, it's also a huge plus for the relationship without hearing the other half bitching and moaning on how much money we "wasted" and how much time we didn't spend with them vs. on cars.

Consider yourselves lucky girls, cuz you would certainly get more attention and respect from guys out of the bunch.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I definitely fit in this scenerio. I, too, got interested in cars because of my father, who has been in the car business his whole life. My grandfather and my dad had a dealership when I was younger. I practically grew up at auctions watching the cars on the block. I have an older brother, who does nothing but buy cars, do a bunch of mods, and sells them. My boyfriend also builds motors. I much rather be sitting in a hot a$$ garage watching him do a motor swap than laying on the beach working on my tan! I think its amazing how turned on guys get by this. Guess we are just the "cool chicks" haha! Anyways, just wanted to say I know how you guys feel, and its an awesome feeling for sure. There's nothing better that having pride in your car, especially if you even halfway know what you've got!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me Too!

I too narrowed my choice of cars to the Rx8 and the Is300. However the Rx8 could not match the luxury aspect of the Is300. Plus everyone would only tell you "I liked the Rx7 better!"

·
Registered
85 Posts
I definitely agree. My parents have 0 sons and I am the one taking on the 'tomboyish' traits. I am completely OBSESSED with cars (esp. my IS). I know more about cars then some of my guy friends. I cannot stand females ... too much effing drama and not enough car talk :]
<P>I only have 3 REAL girl friends, and they are just like me... INTO CARS!

<P>But I know where you're coming from, and couldn't have said it better myself. Props on the post

1 - 9 of 9 Posts