Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I did a search, but everything was back from '01 & '02.

If you purchase an uncut key from ebay, do you have to go to the dealer to have it programmed? Also, I don't have the key code plate. Can a locksmith copy the original?

I'm asking because I just purchased and '01 IS and it only has one key. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
[rant]What is it with used 01's and missing keys? That happens so damn often! I bought mine with only 1 key, and it was the valet key!

How do people lose a huge frigging key? Just put it in a drawer! It's not a little 1/16" sheet metal front door key![/rant]

·
Registered
98 Posts
How to program your key remote/transponder.....

I got the following instructions from another board and used it to program the remote part of my key successfully but not the transponder. Use at your own risk :wink:

Remote (key) Transmitter PROGRAMMING

NOTE: The remote keyless entry system is equipped with 2
transmitters, having 2 unique vehicle access codes programmed
into the wireless door lock ECU.

MODES OF REGISTRATION (PROGRAMMING)

There are 4 registration modes:

Add Mode:
Adds a transmitter without erasing existing transmitter
codes. Four transmitter codes can be registered at one time. If number
of registered codes exceeds 4, previously registered codes are erased
in order, starting with first registered code.

Rewrite Mode:
Erases all previously registered transmitter codes and
reprogram new transmitters.

Confirmation Mode:
Informs user of number of existing transmitter codes already
programmed in system.

Prohibition Mode:
Erases all existing registered transmitter codes and cancels wireless
door lock operation. Use this function if transmitter is lost or stolen.

REGISTRATION OF RECOGNITION CODE

1) To begin programming, remove key from ignition switch.
Ensure driver’s door is open and unlocked, and all other doors are
closed. Insert key into ignition switch, and then remove it. Go to
next step.
2) Complete the following in 40 seconds or less: press door
lock switch to LOCK position, and then within one second, press door
lock switch to UNLOCK position. Repeat procedure continuously until
door locks have been locked and unlocked 5 times. Close, and then open
driver’s door. Go to next step.
3) Complete the following in 40 seconds or less: repeat
procedure in step 2), except~ for closing and opening driver’s door.
Insert key into ignition switch. To enter desired mode, turn ignition
switch to ON position and back to LOCK position (one cycle), within
one second, the specified number of times. See REGISTRATION MODE
SELECTION table. Remove key from ignition switch. Go to next step.

REGISTRATION MODE SELECTION

Registration Mode No. Of Ignition Switch Cycles
---------------------------------------
Add 1
Rewrite 2
Confirmation 3
Prohibition 5
---------------------------------------

4) If any mode other than confirmation mode •is selected, go
to next step. If confirmation mode was selected, door locks will cycle
0-4 times depending on how many transmitter codes are stored in ECU.
Example: two stored codes equals 2 door lock/unlock cycles.
Registration of confirmation code is complete after door locks cycle.
5) Complete the following in 40 seconds or less: if add mode,
rewrite mode or prohibition mode is selected, to confirm proper
initiation, door locks will automatically cycle one time for add mode,
2 times for rewrite mode and 5 times for prohibition mode. Press
transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for at least 1.5
seconds, and then within 3 seconds, press any transmitter button for
at least one second. Go to next step.
6) If within 3 seconds, door locks’ cycle one time, new
transmitter code has been successfully accepted. Go to next step. If
door locks cycle 2 times, new transmitter code was not accepted. To
program an additional transmitter or to make a second attempt, return
to step 5) within 40 seconds.
7) Registration of recognition codes is complete under any of
the following conditions: l~

* Forty seconds has elapsed since wireless door lock ECU has
responded.
* Driver’s door is closed.
* Key is inserted in the ignition key cylinder.
* Four recognition codes are registered at one time.

To program a new key to be able to start the engine, follow these steps.

Programming replacement keys. 1998 and up Lexus models

1. Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors. Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.

2. Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. Do not turn the key.

3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.

4. Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.

5. Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programmed key from the ignition.

6. Within 10 seconds, insert the newly cut transponder key into the ignition.

7. Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.

8. Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete

9. Start the vehicle using the new key to verify that programming was successful.

Failing on these steps simply means the new key was not successfully added/programmed. It should not damage your working master or the ECU. It might take you a couple of tries to get down the timing for this to work.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Since you need to turn the key to end the programming, there's no way to program an already-cut key, is there? I have an IS300 key just sitting around that doesn't fit my car, got it off ebay for almost nothing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Let me know if you find a place to cut the key. My Lexus dealership said they couldn't do it because it takes some crazy lazer cutter that cost $20,000.00+. I am in the same situation as you. Bought a used 01 IS with one master key and one valet key. I bought another master key for my wife to have keyless, and my dealer says they cant cut nor will they send it anywhere for me......... Bunch of homos..... :pissed:

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
[rant]What is it with used 01's and missing keys? That happens so damn often! I bought mine with only 1 key, and it was the valet key!

How do people lose a huge frigging key? Just put it in a drawer! It's not a little 1/16" sheet metal front door key![/rant]

Its prolly still in the drawer of their home.... they forget to take it in during trade in

·
Registered
98 Posts
Chaos said:
Since you need to turn the key to end the programming, there's no way to program an already-cut key, is there? I have an IS300 key just sitting around that doesn't fit my car, got it off ebay for almost nothing.
I know where you are coming from. I bought one of the already-cut used keys off eBay too, I knew the key was cut so that part wouldn't work so I figured at least I could use the keyless entry part if I locked my one and only key in the car. For $10 that's not too bad. Sometimes I wonder if all the other keys I SHOULD have gotten with my used Lexus ended up on ebay.........If you would like to beat the dealer prices on new keys you can go to www.streetkeys.com, they are a little cheaper. My local locksmith can laser cut keys (my old 1979 MB had this type of key) so I am thinking of buying a master and sub from these guys and having it cut locally (program it myself), streetkeys can also find a local locksmith for you and include their charge in the cost of the key.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Those guys with precut keys that dont work open the key and remove key portion then use your spare as the key part and you can program them fine. To program them to open the doors you dont even need to do that.

Many lock smiths can cut them. I got mine cut in brooklyn.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to call around the local locksmith's on Monday to see if any of them can cut one. I'll post back here with an answer and a price, hopefully.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
adrnlnjunky said:
I'm going to call around the local locksmith's on Monday to see if any of them can cut one. I'll post back here with an answer and a price, hopefully.
Just go to another dealership.

If you call around, I hope you DON'T find someone who can cut them. Nobody should be able to do it but Lexus.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ÜberPhLuBB said:

If you call around, I hope you DON'T find someone who can cut them. Nobody should be able to do it but Lexus.
The closest Lexus dealer is 3.5 hours away. :eek: You think Toyota be able to handle it?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
adrnlnjunky said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:

The closest Lexus dealer is 3.5 hours away. :eek: You think Toyota be able to handle it?
Hmm... You could call and ask, but I don't know.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
adrnlnjunky said:

What do I speak jibberish? I got mine cut for 15 bucks about 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Sentinel said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:
adrnlnjunky said:

What do I speak jibberish? I got mine cut for 15 bucks about 2 weeks ago.
Where?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, update for you guys/gals...

There is a local locksmith that can cut the key for $32. The Toyota dealer said they can program it for $35.

Now, my next question is....Has anyone bought an uncut key off of Ebay? If you have, did everything turn out OK for you? I can get out of this for under $175. Still alot for a stinkin' key, but better than straight from the dealer.

Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.