Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone so im getting about 8K soon and im thinking about dropping most of it into my car. ive been reading and with everything ive read and heard i am going to do my suspension first! then motor work i do plan on boosting the car soon. i dont mind replacing intake headders exhaust when it gets boosted. that being said.. the car is a 02' 113k miles and its e-shift and has a sport suspension supposedly thats what the lexus dealer said when i had to get my lower control arm fixed cause they ordered the normal one and it didnt fit....:pissed: anyway what would you recomend....

1. CoilOvers vs Springs,Struts,Shocks.

i was thinking about the hks hypermax coilovers but im not sure i want to spend 1700 for them if i dont get thoes what would be some good alteritives? i want to lower the car 1.5" front and 1" rear.

2. Sways & Strut Bars.

what would be the best sways and strut bars?

3.Tires and Rims.

Also i was thinking about doing new rims and tires. right now im stock but i wana go BMW M3 style and put 19" rear and 18" front with the drop i want what size tires would i need? what offset? would i have to shave fenders?

4. Motor

I already know im getting the SRT intake and ECU and the HKS Carbon-TI Exhaust. my question for here is what headders should i get? i was thinking the mazzuri but what one should i use... the Header and Y system? or the Supercharger Header system? im also getting the hks cam gear. and i was wondering about the E-Manage Ultimate what exactly does it do? and i seen a post about cams i cant find it now but i was wondering about that and maybe getting thoes too.

any info or opinion is welcome i just wana know a little about what im getting into befor i spend the money for it thanks..

also if anyone could figure out about how much more hp/tq ill be makeing id love you forever :) and +rep to all with good info thanks :)

Reactions: vroomRollLEX

·
Registered
650 Posts
if your gonna go boost then dont bother w/ bolt on mods. just get suspension and save the rest for a kit. suspension depends on what you plan on using your car for. if just for daily then shocks and spring combo will be more than enough. if track use then get full coilovers.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Yeah I'd just put coilovers on or some springs/shocks and then put the rest into boost. Don't do all the NA stuff unless you want to do track days or some sort of league racing.

Also I have a SRT Intake w/ r-ecu that is less than a month old and comes with the all the original packaging, stickers, boxes, plastic wrap/baggies and even the packing peanuts :) Has everything. I love it but got a sponsor and can't have it on my car anymore :( (PM me if you're interested. Like I said it's basically brand new. I could have lied and called it new and you wouldn't have known the difference it's so new ;) )

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
ORRRrrr you could sell the car :( and use the money and the money from selling to get an IS300 that already is modded out (Mikefate's car of PFS's car or someones) or get some other kind of car that is already big chimpin :)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
But I just looked at your thingy and it said you joined the site in March 08' so i'm guessing you just got the car and won't want to sell it, sooo go with the suspension and boost (turbo/superch).

Seriously though, if I see you talking about how you bought a bunch of this and that I'll be sad ;)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive had the car for over 2 years now lol just havent had money to do anything. i do want to boost it but i dono how soon i can which is why i wana do some motor work too it now. and if i do get boot all i will have to sell is headders and intake and exhaust the cam gear and e-manage i can keep i dono about the cams...

*edit* i do have a few friends that have is300s that would buy the parts off me once i get boost so im realy not too worried about that.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh and as of right now it is a daily drive the main thing is i wana lower it and make it look more aggressive. i do live by a few canyons and some of my friends like to cruse up there lots of corners and id like to be able to go up faster and keep up with them.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Keep up with them? What do they drive?

What TRD thingy do you have?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a mazda speed, audi s4, evo 9, boosted civic.... and then there are the high rollers couple vettes, twin turbo z06, lambo gallardo, svt cobra that has 800rwhp... lol they dont count the mazda has some mods its not way way fast but handles way nice the evo and audi are stock.

and my trd stuff i have leather shifter, emblem, license plate screws and replaced the L on the steering wheel so far

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
a stock S4 is hardly "stock" by stock standards.

Tell you friends to leave there parents cars at home.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Replace the L? with waht? a decal? Man it's late. TO bed i go

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol yeah twin turbo awd s4 stock has very nice handeling my dad has one i get to drive sometimes. the evo 9 however is much faster and i think handles better then the s4.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Replace the L? with waht? a decal? Man it's late. TO bed i go

its a trd badge that replaces the L on the wheel someone had a pic up on the forum i seen the other day.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I would put all the cash into the boosting. forget the other mods. MAYBE rims, but it's so much better when the other racer thinks the car is stock, then you fly past him :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Boost, coilovers, and wheels. Probably ost more than $8k though :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya thats why i wanted to do some mods first see how she handels and performs without boost. ill proly save some for boost but i mean intake and exhaust wouldnt be bad right?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
also if i got the greddy e-manage ulti and a hks cam gear i can use thoes when i boost. but will it help that much to use befor i boost?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Intake and exhaust isn't realllllllyyy getting you anywhere... Man I wish I had the money to go boost :( If I were you, put the 8k all into boost. Run 6-8psi on stock enternals, it's your best bet with that amount of money. I personally feel that no one will care how you car looks, all they'll remember is your BOV once you fly past them. That's gonna make their heads spin more than your wheels ;) Oh and suspension, Tein S-Techs and Tokico Illumina adjustables, can't go wrong there. Anyway, good luck with whatever you do!

Reactions: TRD*Nemesis

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Honestly take the advice of the majority of this forum; Skip the bolt ons if you are trying to get power. With the simple bolt ons that you are talking about, it would be a noticable gain over stock but nothing thats gonna be killing the streets or anything..

There are some excellent boost kits out there within your price range that would definitely turn the sluggish IS into a new machine.

If it were me doing this, I would probably get a srt 2.75 boost kit and a decent set of springs and shocks.. The drop alone is going to make the appearance and handling change dramatically and the boost is going to keep you in front!

Whatever you decide, post some progress pics!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
If I was getting 8k id drop it into a WaMu savings account with the way the econ is going.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts