Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, if you want you can go here for my little horror story in the snow:
http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13326394

So I'm getting Michelin winter tires on my 17''s. Are these going to be good in the snow or should I have gotten 16'' rims with snow tires?

...I hate snow. :x

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
For that kind of money, separate rims would have been better. But, 17" rims will be just fine. The Arctic Alpines is a great snow tire.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
16 inch rims with narrower tires would be better... Narrower tires cut through the snow rather than sliding over it... I have Blizzak LM-22's on my 16" rims - check out my website for my winter setup if you want...

Good luck!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hey man, I live in Michigan I hate snow as much as the other guy! I got 16" wheels with Michelin Arctic Alpin tires. HTey are excellent. I got the wheel and tire set for abou $700. My dealer wated $650 for the tires alone. They also wanted me to get the Michelin Pilot Alpins on my car instead of the Michelin Arctic Alpins on my car right now. I love these tires. No other Michelin Tire has as many sipes as this one. The main difference between the arctic and the pilot alpin's is that the pilot's have a higher speed rating. Since I know I will not be going more than 100mph in the snow I decided to get the arctic alpins instead. Sorry to hear about your ordeal. In michigan we have been hit w/ snow for the past week or so and I haven't gotten stuck yet. the snow mode and traction control work great together! Hopefully this info helps....

Here is a link to my previous post about my winter tire setup
http://is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13324396&highlight=

Here are some pix of my car...

BEFORE PICTURE...

AFTER PICTURE....

Closeup of the "SIPES"

Let me know what u think....
PEACE

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
how long are they suppose to last ? ?

i'm getting arctic alpines

but i dont know how long they will last me..

do you think 2-3 seasons ?

·
Registered
712 Posts
The arctic alpins are winter tires and thus do not have a mileage rating. they are good untill the tread wears out :lol: It all depends on how u drive man. If you peel out every chance u get, maybe 1 season. If you take good care in driving in the snow, it should last for 3-5 seasons. I persocnally plan on making it last for atleast 3-4 seasons! Hope the info helps... :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
LX4U2NV
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing