Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, if you want you can go here for my little horror story in the snow:
http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13326394

So I'm getting Michelin winter tires on my 17''s. Are these going to be good in the snow or should I have gotten 16'' rims with snow tires?

...I hate snow. :x

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
For that kind of money, separate rims would have been better. But, 17" rims will be just fine. The Arctic Alpines is a great snow tire.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
16 inch rims with narrower tires would be better... Narrower tires cut through the snow rather than sliding over it... I have Blizzak LM-22's on my 16" rims - check out my website for my winter setup if you want...

Good luck!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hey man, I live in Michigan I hate snow as much as the other guy! I got 16" wheels with Michelin Arctic Alpin tires. HTey are excellent. I got the wheel and tire set for abou $700. My dealer wated $650 for the tires alone. They also wanted me to get the Michelin Pilot Alpins on my car instead of the Michelin Arctic Alpins on my car right now. I love these tires. No other Michelin Tire has as many sipes as this one. The main difference between the arctic and the pilot alpin's is that the pilot's have a higher speed rating. Since I know I will not be going more than 100mph in the snow I decided to get the arctic alpins instead. Sorry to hear about your ordeal. In michigan we have been hit w/ snow for the past week or so and I haven't gotten stuck yet. the snow mode and traction control work great together! Hopefully this info helps....

Here is a link to my previous post about my winter tire setup
http://is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13324396&highlight=

Here are some pix of my car...

BEFORE PICTURE...

AFTER PICTURE....

Closeup of the "SIPES"

Let me know what u think....
PEACE

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
how long are they suppose to last ? ?

i'm getting arctic alpines

but i dont know how long they will last me..

do you think 2-3 seasons ?

·
Registered
712 Posts
The arctic alpins are winter tires and thus do not have a mileage rating. they are good untill the tread wears out :lol: It all depends on how u drive man. If you peel out every chance u get, maybe 1 season. If you take good care in driving in the snow, it should last for 3-5 seasons. I persocnally plan on making it last for atleast 3-4 seasons! Hope the info helps... :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts