Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

i did some research today on aftermarket alarms for the IS and OMG it is VERY expensive and an inconvienence.

first: they said the alarm is one price then since it is an IS they have to put a transponder module in to bypass the key transponder(which now means any duplicate key will start the IS)this module is only for remote start purposes

Second: it would take them around 8-9 hours for the install cause of the cars difficulty (which means extra labor costs)

third: i would have to give up a key for the remote start cause they have to wire the transponder from the key into the car for remote start puposes. which leaves me with only one key to use. Any idea of how much a new key costs from Lexus.....around $200.00 a piece

all in all for the whole system it would cost almost $1000.00 for the alarm and then an extra 200.00 for another key(cause if you lose both keys...over $1000.00 to replace the whole thing

i dont think all this nonsense is worth it. i have insurance. if they steal it then oh well. theres nothing i can do.

all this for a 300.00 alarm system (on any other car)

oh by the way. this price was from a VERY reputable audio place around chicago. they do Lambs, ferrari's, porsche's..ect

ONYX 01

[This message has been edited by mccarlin (edited November 27, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Yeah I think I'm running into the same problem. I really want to get that remote start but I don't want to make my car less secure. To me it really isn't a matter of cost but a matter of the car getting stolen. Kind of stupid that you have to leave the transponder in the car to have it work. Oh well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Originally posted by mccarlin:
hey everyone,

i did some research today on aftermarket alarms for the IS and OMG it is VERY expensive and an inconvienence.

first: they said the alarm is one price then since it is an IS they have to put a transponder module in to bypass the key transponder(which now means any duplicate key will start the IS)this module is only for remote start purposes

Second: it would take them around 8-9 hours for the install cause of the cars difficulty (which means extra labor costs)

third: i would have to give up a key for the remote start cause they have to wire the transponder from the key into the car for remote start puposes. which leaves me with only one key to use. Any idea of how much a new key costs from Lexus.....around $200.00 a piece

all in all for the whole system it would cost almost $1000.00 for the alarm and then an extra 200.00 for another key(cause if you lose both keys...over $1000.00 to replace the whole thing

i dont think all this nonsense is worth it. i have insurance. if they steal it then oh well. theres nothing i can do.

all this for a 300.00 alarm system (on any other car)

oh by the way. this price was from a VERY reputable audio place around chicago. they do Lambs, ferrari's, porsche's..ect

ONYX 01

[This message has been edited by mccarlin (edited November 27, 2000).]

Screw the alarm and just get a tracking device for alot cheaper.. If they REALLY want your car they are going to take it no matter what kind of alarm you have in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Getting an aftermarket alarm can be very expensive. I have a 99 Lotus Esprit V8 TT and I wanted to put another stereo system in that car. My audio guy asked me if I wanted an aftermarket alarm to go with it because it would be alot cheaper to do it now since he would be taking interior of that car completely apart. At that point all they would have to do is bypass the key transponder (which is also intergrated into the stock alarm system). They actually left the stock alarm system in but in dummy mode (turned off). I did not add a remote start since I dont drive that car that often. Good Luck.

JeffD
2001 Lexus IS300
2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster
1999 Lotus Esprit V8 TT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Alarms are not as bad as you guys are making it out to be. I had a 98 Prelude and DEI makes a module that you put your key into for about 50 bux. I have the wire code for the IS and it is not really difficult. If you are worried about leaving a key in the car you can hide the module pretty much anywhere. In my prelude i had the brain of the alarm and the module under the passenger seat. Thieves would never find it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn....dug that one up huh!!!!!

i know now that everything is OK with the alarm for the IS.....
back then i was getting alot of Bullcrap from people who didnt know Sh|t about alarms
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,339 Posts
Originally posted by tukerstown:
In my prelude i had the brain of the alarm and the module under the passenger seat. Thieves would never find it.

If they read this board, they will now.


I think the IS alarm is adequate. Although I would like the alarm to go off if the car or window or tire was bumped... I just got the autolock and it seems to work well. I can't depress the brake at all. If I push any harder I think I might break my ankle.

-crontab -l


------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
Originally posted by tukerstown:
Alarms are not as bad as you guys are making it out to be. I had a 98 Prelude and DEI makes a module that you put your key into for about 50 bux. I have the wire code for the IS and it is not really difficult. If you are worried about leaving a key in the car you can hide the module pretty much anywhere. In my prelude i had the brain of the alarm and the module under the passenger seat. Thieves would never find it.
yeah i know, my friend has that crap on his 01 prelude.. and it's using the stock remote keyless entry to operate the pluggin ... actually he doesn't like it and took it out for an clifford ig7000

he got his system stolen with that DEI installed and it didn't even beep.
-----------------------------------------
McCarlin,

The Clifford IG7000 could cost you $400 installed. My installer did a lot of wiring and he unmounted my dash to hide the brain.
He stated the same about the Remote Start, but you don't need to wire the transpoder of the key (such as the valet key). DEI has a module to bypass the whole thing!!!

If there's anything let me know about the Clifford IG7000, btw I have the cliffnet installed and it's FUN!


------------------
El Chino
-------------------------
'01 Millenium Silver
-SRT INTAKE (SOON!!)
-CUSTOM CAR AUDIO (BEING BUILT RIGHT NOW)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38,938 Posts
I think those guys at the shop are trying to rip you off. How much are they charging you for the alarm itself? I don't think that the remote start would jack the price up that high! Unfortunately you will have to sacrifice the safety of the transponder for the remote start which is the reason I passed on that option. El chino is right though about not needing to give up the key cuz Clifford provides a module to bypass that. Why not try to find another shop and see what price quote they give you. I'm sure the guys you spoke with are making every effort to get as much money out of you since you stated them as a reputable shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
I agree with Silverbullet. since those guys install porsche and ferrari's.. I don't see why they don't mind to lower their prices to keep their prestige up.. But it won't be $1000 unless you have all kinds of gadgets.. going for the avantguard 4 not even closes to $500 (avantguard 4 has all type of gadgets) but I prefer the Intelliguard series


------------------
El Chino
-------------------------
'01 Millenium Silver
-SRT INTAKE (SOON!!)
-CUSTOM CAR AUDIO (BEING BUILT RIGHT NOW)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by El Chino:
yeah i know, my friend has that crap on his 01 prelude.. and it's using the stock remote keyless entry to operate the pluggin ... actually he doesn't like it and took it out for an clifford ig7000

he got his system stolen with that DEI installed and it didn't even beep.
I got a question for you.....
I really want the clifford alarm but out of 20 shops i caleed there is only ONE shop that has clifford products...

The IG 7000 with the remote start option is 600 bucks installed, then 30 bucks for the bypass module. I also wanted the Glass sensor (50 bucks) and the motion/tilt sensor (100 bucks) this seams like a lot for a alarm

what do you guys think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
you can ask CruiznIs3 i forgot how to spell his username.. but he's the one that has an yellow is300 with a custom sound system with boston acoustics components, subs (12) i think , and v12 amp, xtant amp.. etc..

he has remote start on his is300.. you may ask him how he got his remote start


------------------
El Chino
-------------------------
'01 Millenium Silver
-SRT INTAKE (SOON!!)
-CUSTOM CAR AUDIO (BEING BUILT RIGHT NOW)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
FYI...

In response to the factory IS alarm being alright... Thieves know how to disable factory alarms, meaning they can get in and not a sound from the car. Trust me.. I know... seeing my IS on cinderblocks is not the best view in the world, but it's a real eye opener.

Again I say, the factory alarm doesn't do anything but allow the dealer to mark up the price of the car.

My autolock is my permanent accessory..


Getting the alarm installed tomorrow when I pick her back up from the body shop.

------------------
Marlon
IS300 (white)
loaded w/o LSD
SRT HFI
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
Originally posted by mccarlin:
I got a question for you.....
I really want the clifford alarm but out of 20 shops i caleed there is only ONE shop that has clifford products...

The IG 7000 with the remote start option is 600 bucks installed, then 30 bucks for the bypass module. I also wanted the Glass sensor (50 bucks) and the motion/tilt sensor (100 bucks) this seams like a lot for a alarm

what do you guys think.

my response.. I don't have a glass sensor. no bypass. not nothing.. just

the IG7000, and Cliffnet

around 400 out the door..
no need of glass sensor. since the shock sensor is so adjustable. that by tapping on the window the alarm already gives a warning..

Remote start? I think gotta ask a couple more guys that have a remote start.. But personally I wouldn't want to do it. since the immobilisser is very complex ...

just my 2 cents.


------------------
El Chino
-------------------------
'01 Millenium Silver
-SRT INTAKE (SOON!!)
-CUSTOM CAR AUDIO (BEING BUILT RIGHT NOW)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
Originally posted by MDaltezza:


FYI...

In response to the factory IS alarm being alright... Thieves know how to disable factory alarms, meaning they can get in and not a sound from the car. Trust me.. I know... seeing my IS on cinderblocks is not the best view in the world, but it's a real eye opener.

Again I say, the factory alarm doesn't do anything but allow the dealer to mark up the price of the car.

My autolock is my permanent accessory..


Getting the alarm installed tomorrow when I pick her back up from the body shop.

totally agree with you!!!! My stock alarm still works.. I can arm both alarms. the stock and my clifford..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
I have a Viper remote start/alarm in my car and it works either by itself or with the factory alarm ...which still works also beeps and all...door locks, trunk all work, the solution the key was just to cut off the key part and use the head..I used my valet key ( grey one )that still leaves me with two keys...I know they can still steal it...they can steal anything... I paid $115.00 for the remote start $25.00 for the key box transponder and $100.00 for the install and the only two things that were removed was the steering colum panel and the drivers door panel ( lock controls )
how I look at it is I am not going to deprive myself of anything that I want for my car...just because I am afraid its going to get stolen.. I pay alot for my insurance and I dont mind using it if I have to

Just thought that this info might help on deciding about an alarm or remote start..
Good Luck...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I sold high end car audio and alarms for 6 years the IS300 is not hard to work on. The transponder bypass isnt that hard but yes you lose a key. The shop where i use to work did my clifford avantguard4 with remote windows sunroof and start. This alarm has everything imagineable and took about 2 days. But was no harder than a new ford f150 which also has the transponder in the key. dont let a shop over charge you too much just cause its an "is300", i love my IS there are awesome but not that hard to work on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Trying to get this car alarm is making me sick. I don't know anything about alarms, buying them or installing them. All I want is a motion and shock sensor, no auto windows or remote start. My local shop told me they could put what I want in the car, all on the factory key remote for 200$. I asked him what brand and he said no brand just the options added on to your factory alarm. What should I do? Get a whole aftermarket alarm or let the shop add the features?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,544 Posts
guys, do you know which thread it was that someone was explaining how to use an aftermarket alarm with the stock key controller?? i really need it. your help is appreciated.

------------------
'01 Lexus IS300
'91 Acura NSX
'95 Nissan Maxima
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,544 Posts
do you guys remember which thread it is that someone explains how to hook up an aftermarket alarm and use the stock key controller?? i really need it. your help would be appreciated.

------------------
'01 Lexus IS300
'91 Acura NSX
'95 Nissan Maxima
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
14 Participants
cruznis300
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing
Top