Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will be getting a 2001 is300 within a couple of days. But it only has one master key. The master key seems to be in decent shape but I really would like to get a second one. I know these are not plain ol' regular keys, and I found the post on how to program the transponder and remote on here. But it does not really say that it will work on a 2001. I seen in another post that you need a new ECU for a 2001 to get new keys.

I have not called the dealer yet, but I am pretty sure I know how a Lexus stealership will answer.

Well, I just called the local Lexus stealership. Quote: Complete key is 260 something Dollars and programing is 60+ Dollars. I also asked them if I can bring in a key(eBay) which is new and uncut. They said the keys they order come precut from the manufacturer and they do not cut keys, just program them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is just awfull. What ever hapened to a key and a alarm? For 300+ Dollars you can get a complete remote start system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
you cant escape the rape completely

Dude to minimize the rape... buy an uncut key from lexus with a transponder and then take the uncut to a reputable lock smith and have them cut your new key from the old key. Take your newly cut key to lexus and have them program it .... you'll just pay for the programing and not for them cutting the key ... that process worked for me ...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So we got about 100 Bucks for the key off eBay + 65 for the Lexus Stealership to program + 10 or so to het it cut. So about 175 or less total. Well that is less awfull.

But, is it possible to program yourself? They say you can. . . But.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yeah dude, Ebay. That's where i bought my uncut key with the transponder.
By transponder do you mean the "guts" of the key? If so do you know the name of the seller from ebay? The only key I have right now is the valet key and I miss the remote on the main key. How much would the dealer charge me for the main key with all its internals?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Last week I also priced out a key because I only have one.. They quoted me around $400 Canadian and I had to give them my Drivers License and Proof of Ownership. I almost split my drink when i heard that.. I guess I will guard my only key with my life!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Buy the Key from Sewell Lexus for like 125. Take to Lexus have THEM cut it for 25. Program it yourself. Do a search, tells you exactly how to do it.

total cost: 150

·
Registered
7 Posts
By transponder do you mean the "guts" of the key? If so do you know the name of the seller from ebay? The only key I have right now is the valet key and I miss the remote on the main key. How much would the dealer charge me for the main key with all its internals?

Yeah, Transponder is the fancy name for the electronics inside the key. Some ebay sellers sell uncut keys with no guts inside of em, they should list it in the item description... i think i bought my key off this seller called Mr. Remote

1 - 12 of 12 Posts